Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted to like the 10mm carbine. I own two 995 carbines and fully appreciate their reliability and accuracy. While bench-rest shooters generally don't concern themselves with Hi-point, I found much enjoyment out of wringing accuracy out of the 9mm carbines and my handloads.

The short version of my story is that despite making the 1095 my bench-rest hobby for 5 months, I was never able to do better than 5" groups..... at 17 yards. Maybe I just had a lemon and my experience isn't representative of all 10mm HPs. I just wanted to share my results as I've seen very little mention of 1095 accuracy on any forum.

What I did to reach full accuracy potential in the 1095:

1. Barrels need to be broken in which involves shooting and intermittently (carefully) cleaning over the course of 50 to 200 rounds. A shooter who doesn't understand how to properly clean barrels shouldn't ever clean them as this is the best way to ruin a good barrel. At any rate, once the gun is broken in, I rarely ever clean a barrel.

2. Every component of the gun needs to be uniformly tight. This is difficult with any Hi-point however.

3. The crown needs to be carefully inspected and potentially re-crowned. I did eventually re-crown my 1095.

4. Scopes need to be carefully mounted and periodically checked against a bore-site. As it is, I experimented with two magnified scopes as well as iron sights.

5. The ridiculous butt-spring assembly on the 1095 and some 995s needs to be fixed in place. Fortunately there are holes in the guides and cheap bolts can be used to lock the spring plate in place. The butt-spring assembly magnifies the effects of recoil and is likely the cause of cheek-slap so many people complain about in the 1095. As is, it is a detriment to accuracy.

6. Every firearm has different preferred cartridges and several reload recipes should be used. Besides using Underwood, Buffalo Bore, and LAX, I developed 5 hand-loads for this rifle with two different bullet weights. Copper needs to be cleaned out before going to powder coat or lead projectiles. I never used exposed lead in this gun.

7. Rounds should be initially loaded individually and not through a magazine. This prevents issues like bullet set-back in a violent action like that of a Hi-point.

8. A proper cheek-weld needs to be obtainable. The 1095 is fantastic for cheek-weld and overall shoulderable stiffness. Mine didn't have the sticky cheek pad that others complain about. I wish more rifles held like the 1095.

9. Accuracy is limited by bad triggers. My 1095 had the typically terrible trigger that is associated with all HP firearms. It should be noted however that this one had sort of a first-stage takup that could be held over a second-stage break that was actually decent. This made it better than the pull in my 995s.

10. My 10mm barrel slugged to .4005 and I was surprised by that considering how wildly divergent sizes are in especially 9mm barrels.

Between the various bullet weights, widths, cartridge lengths and powder charges that I ran through the 1095, I was never able to come close the the 5"/100 yard accuracy of a 995. In fact, I was never able to do better than 5" as 17 yards over the course of 260 rounds. I was tempted to drill into the receiver and bolt block and stake them together in an effort to keep the bolt from retracting when a round was fired but I knew I would sell the gun and decided against it. I've done that with a 995 and found I could achieve even better 100 yard accuracy.

While it's possible that I just had a bad gun, I'm guessing that the 1095 really isn't set up properly to operate as a 10mm blow-back. All of my brass showed significant bulging on one side of the case bellies indicating either poor chamber support toward the base (as in Glock) or premature backward movement upon firing. It's possible that Hi-point overbored their chambers in an effort to ensure reliable cycling of the comparatively long round and in doing so, compromised the fired case's ability to grab the chamber wall and hold in place for a split second while the projectile exits the barrel but before the bolt moves. My dirty and bulged cases might point toward this conclusion.

I would like to hear other credible accuracy reports of the 1095 as I'm hoping that I just got a bad gun. I've since sold mine to a friend who cars nothing for accuracy past 10 feet but I might pick up another if I suspect that better 1095s have the potential of the 995. Hi-point is still a good company despite my experience and despite the whole 'Yeet Cannon' thing and I'll continue recommending them.

Pork Laser, Wisconsin

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Thank you for that write up.
I’d be interested in knowing what other ‘10’ owners have to say.
I’m sure you would have mentioned it but I’m asking anyway...is the barrel bore concentric?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 1095 loves 180 and 200 gr xtp loaded max with AA#9 and 1.250" overall length. I never ran the watered down stuff. The lightest load mine seen was the factory Speer gold dot 200gr.

Mine had good accuracy out at 75 yards. At close range it was one hole groups.

The attached picture was 75 yards rapid fire, no cooling period.

·
Administrator
24,570 Posts
Moved to Reviews and Range Reports.

·
Premium Member
35,819 Posts
I'm also a 1095 owner, using Sig FMJ, it was all center mass at 25. Didn't do any groups, just getting a feel for it and trying out the .45 Red ball...which didn't work past two rounds, but absolutely could if I rolled the lips in just slightly.

But that sticky cheek pad is STOOOOPID.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 1095 loves 180 and 200 gr xtp loaded max with AA#9 and 1.250" overall length. I never ran the watered down stuff. The lightest load mine seen was the factory Speer gold dot 200gr.

Mine had good accuracy out at 75 yards. At close range it was one hole groups.

The attached picture was 75 yards rapid fire, no cooling period.
Thanks for the target pic. Yea, your 10mm is outshooting the one I had by a significant margin. I tried stout 220 grainers all the way down to subsonic 180s with no luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for that write up.
I'd be interested in knowing what other '10' owners have to say.
I'm sure you would have mentioned it but I'm asking anyway...is the barrel bore concentric?
When I re-crowned it I was impressed by both the density of the metal and the concentricity of the bore. I didn't get a single keyhole either, even with the 220 grain stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Do you have access to something like a Ransom Rest; a fixture that can hold the carbine as rigidly as possible, and set up with sandbags or bolted down onto a bench, to ascertain whether it is the gun, or the user? Something like this Ransom Rest Master rest device holsing an orange rifle.

Orange-Gun-2-800x398.png

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been bench-rest shooting for about 12 years. While I don't use the Ransom Rest, my setup is similar. Thanks for the pic.

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
Instead of you modifying the crown you could have sent it back to MOM and they would have probably replaced the barrel. It might still be worth a phone call.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,876 Posts
Hey man thanks for that write-up, seems like you got a turd. 5" @17 yds is horrible, I have shot better than that with a 10mm pistol :rotfl: :D Most of these guys here are much better than me, btw...

Send that porker in, include a letter with that write up you submitted here, something has to be pretty badly affecting those groups! :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice but I sold it to someone who thinks 6" groups at room-length distances is just fine. I'm considering buying another one however if I start seeing good accuracy reports. Nothing yet however.

·
WHY JUST DANCE WHEN YOU CAN ROCK AND ROLL.
43 Posts
I just got a new 1095 a couple days ago. I have taken it apart and cleaned and lubed it throughly.
I installed a aluminum pic rail in place of the plastic one. Then a Leupold 1-4X24 in Burris Extreme Tactical rings.
First range session will be with three different types of ammo . . all factory.
Will report here after shooting. --- pruhdlr

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,876 Posts
Right now this is about the only HP I am interested in...
Welp, a 1095 and a new YC :D

I just got a new 1095 a couple days ago. I have taken it apart and cleaned and lubed it throughly.
I installed a aluminum pic rail in place of the plastic one. Then a Leupold 1-4X24 in Burris Extreme Tactical rings.
First range session will be with three different types of ammo . . all factory.
Will report here after shooting. --- pruhdlr
I get the feeling you are tired of waiting for a range to open LOL

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
I would imagine with the correct 10 millimeter ammunition you could get accurate shots to about 120 yards on a 9 inch by 9 inch target with a Hi-Point carbine. Am I overestimating the accuracy of 10 millimeter Hi-Point carbines? It's too bad you got a bad Hi-Point 1095 carbine.

Man it bothers me so much too how so many ammo manufacturers cheap out on 10 millimeter ammunition and lessen the gun powder so the muzzle velocity is at or below the .40 Smith & Wesson round. 10 millimeter is supposed to be a magnum round in my opinion.

·
WHY JUST DANCE WHEN YOU CAN ROCK AND ROLL.
43 Posts
I tell people . . . if you want to shoot 40Short&Weak vels out of your 10mm,you need to buy a 40Short&Weak. --- pruhdlr

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
I would imagine with the correct 10 millimeter ammunition you could get accurate shots to about 120 yards on a 9 inch by 9 inch target with a Hi-Point carbine. Am I overestimating the accuracy of 10 millimeter Hi-Point carbines? It's too bad you got a bad Hi-Point 1095 carbine.

Man it bothers me so much too how so many ammo manufacturers cheap out on 10 millimeter ammunition and lessen the gun powder so the muzzle velocity is at or below the .40 Smith & Wesson round. 10 millimeter is supposed to be a magnum round in my opinion.
Buy Buffalo Bore. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
...or buy Twice As Much UNDERWOOD, for the same money!
Problem double solved. It's also lot faster shipping, Underwood
is in south eastern Illinois, 2 day turn for me. You too, prolly.
I just bought some 155gr .40+P locally.

Reactions: undeRGRound
1 - 20 of 60 Posts