Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 367 Posts

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
If this is even better than the 40 or 45, then I'm all in for a new brush carbine over the 40S&W I was thinking of getting. I'm not familiar with 10mm ballistics/power/shooting range or prices as a comparison. Time to go study up.

If anybody is familiar with this caliber please give us your pros and cons about what you have found by shooting this round.
Del

·
Registered
87 Posts
Awesome! 10mm is amazing and the reloaders dream! Think of it as the .40 mag or long. Hot loads (barely) get into 41 mag territory. Many use it as a woods gun as you can have 15 rounds in a Glock 20. Cons are commercial ammo availability and price.

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts
Methinks some here are going to be spending some money soon.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
If this is even better than the 40 or 45, then I'm all in for a new brush carbine over the 40S&W I was thinking of getting. I'm not familiar with 10mm ballistics/power/shooting range or prices as a comparison. Time to go study up.

If anybody is familiar with this caliber please give us your pros and cons about what you have found by shooting this round.
Del
https://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9/search?query=10mm

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Check out the info at Ballistics by the inch. Difference between the .45 ACP and the 10 mm in a 16 inch barrel isn't worth the increased cost in ammo, IMO.

Coolness factor maybe,
OR if someone comes out with a load specifically for a carbine then maybe.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Check out the info at Ballistics by the inch. Difference between the .45 ACP and the 10 mm in a 16 inch barrel isn't worth the increased cost in ammo, IMO.

Coolness factor maybe,
OR if someone comes out with a load specifically for a carbine then maybe.
Question, are there actual significant differences between the "FBI loads" and the current commercial offerings?
Seems I remember some statements by people saying the commercial loads for 10mm is relatively weak compared to the "full power FBI" load recipes?

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
http://ballisticsbytheinch.com
18 inch barrel

Federal .45
185 gr. Hi-Shok JHP velocity: 1062 ft/sec 463 foot-pounds

Buffalo Bore .45 acp +P
230 gr. JHP velocity: 1161 ft/sec 688.5 foot-pounds

Buffalo Bore.45 acp +P
185 gr. JHP velocity: 1398 ft/sec 803 foot-pounds

Buffalo Bore 10mm
180 gr. JHC velocity: 1573 ft/sec 989.2 foot-pounds

Hornady 10mm
200 gr. XTP velocity: 1260 ft/sec 705 foot-pounds .

·
Registered
333 Posts
Question, are there actual significant differences between the "FBI loads" and the current commercial offerings?
Seems I remember some statements by people saying the commercial loads for 10mm is relatively weak compared to the "full power FBI" load recipes?
It's the inverse. The 10mm FBI load was loaded down because commercial 10mm loads were more powerful than they wanted or needed. Exactly like the .41 Magnum police loads, which were loaded down to more like a ".41 Special."

In fact the .40 S&W came into being as a direct result of the FBI 10mm load, when someone realized the case could be shortened to the point that it would fit in a 9mm frame size pistol and still have the same ballistics as the 10mm FBI load.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
It's the inverse. The 10mm FBI load was loaded down because commercial 10mm loads were more powerful than they wanted or needed. Exactly like the .41 Magnum police loads, which were loaded down to more like a ".41 Special."

In fact the .40 S&W came into being as a direct result of the FBI 10mm load, when someone realized the case could be shortened to the point that it would fit in a 9mm frame size pistol and still have the same ballistics as the 10mm FBI load.
Okay. so most of the commercial 10mm loads available now, are loaded to the weaker FBI loads nowadays, is what you're saying, short of Buffalo Bore and similar loadings?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Okay. so most of the commercial 10mm loads available now, are loaded to the weaker FBI loads nowadays, is what you're saying, short of Buffalo Bore and similar loadings?
Nope, that's not what I'm saying at all.

ETA: I just took a quick look at specs of some current 10mm loads and they do seem to be loaded fairly mild, but that wasn't the point of my original statement.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
My mistake; FBI Loads is supposed to be milder than full power loads, like you say, being more like 40 SW, However, my question is that, I been hearing that most of the 10mm commercial loads available now, are in the same ballpark as the 40 S, or similar to the FBI load, but not as powerful as the 10mm could be.... so outside Buffalo Bore and apparently older Norma loads, are there any 10mm commercial loads that's closer to the original full power loads, that could do awesome in the new carbine?

1 - 20 of 367 Posts