11.5" barrel, rifle stock, no tax stamp

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by greg_r, Jan 12, 2018.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

2. adam01364

adam01364 Lifetime Supporter

One of three things.
    Somehow classified as a pistol, either that it's a toy, or a unicorn.
    Damned if I can figger it.

3. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Welded/pinned 4.5" flash hider? o_O:confused::p

4. cldarnell

cldarnell Collector Member

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Over priced??

Jhow79, rtm and cldarnell like this.
  6. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I just heard a theory that the barrel has straight rifling. Interesting, and it would make sense I think, but it would be a close range affair.

I have another theory. We can assume it has a binary trigger. Fires on both the pull and release. What if the trigger has been modified so it only fires on the "release" of the trigger. If so, it would not meet the literal definition of a rifle which fires on the "pull" of the trigger?

Just throwing this out there. I do have something to base it on though. I once had a tractor trailer crash that I got removed from our record because I was able to take the definition of "in commerce" and prove, by one word in the definition that our vehicle was not a commercial motor vehicle because it did not meet the literal definition of "in commerce" at the time of the crash. They could not refute their own definition and the case was dismissed.

I stand by my theory. It fires on the release of the trigger, not on the pull, therefore it does not meet the definition of a rifle. Will be interesting to see if I am right.

Dad_Roman and TNTRAILERTRASH like this.
  7. WECSOG

WECSOG Member

Not smoothbore and not straight rifled. Straight rifled would change nothing, and smoothbore would mean it needs an 18" barrel instead of just 16" since it has a buttstock. Either way it also has to be over 26" overall.
    The only thing I can think of is two actions for one shot.

8. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Read the link wecsog, it's straight rifling.

WECSOG likes this.
  9. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman Supporting Member

Seems a bit of a mute point after the new "relaxed" definition of shouldering a pistol blade.

I love outside the box thinking, but that was borderline genius Greg ;)

retread and moona11 like this.
  10. WECSOG

WECSOG Member

I stand corrected. That's interesting; I didn't think ATF actually defined rifling as having twist. Even though we all know it does. Hmmm... That brings up some interesting questions.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It is crazy, isn't it...who'd have thought straight "grooves" can be defined to be "rifling"?

12. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

I could t find anything defining rifling as being exclusively grooved.
    This may go back and forth a couple of times same as the shoulder thingie...I mean the brace.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    As long as it isn't going up, we should all be safe....

14. shubbell

shubbell Member

Maybe we should just get rid of antiquated laws.

WECSOG likes this.
  15. WECSOG

WECSOG Member

+1000! :machinegunner:

shubbell likes this.
  16. shubbell

shubbell Member

I mean really? What liberal fut nuck came up with the ATF? Capone is supposedly dead. The natives have been tamed and civilized. The police are totally militarized as to not be out gunned by the bad guys. Why is it that it is ok for me to be out gunned by the bad guys AND "good guys"? As a constitutionalist, I have the same rights as the military and LEO, actually more, just less than the bad guys because I follow the law? What kind of stupid shit is that?

Yes I know the answer. Just had to put that out there.

eldarbeast likes this.
  17. shubbell

shubbell Member

As an answer to the OP, it probably falls under the AOW like the Shockwave. Clever....

18. WECSOG

WECSOG Member

Shockwave is not AOW, nor is this gun.
    A pistol gripped shotgun-like smoothbore that has never had a buttstock and is under 26" OAL is AOW and requires nfa registration. Ditto for a pistol with a forward grip.
    Shockwave is over 26" thus not AOW and no nfa registration.

19. shubbell

shubbell Member

Owning a Shockwave, it says other.

Edit. Pun intended. But really...

WECSOG likes this.