#11- Thou shalt not use old brass...

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Silicon Wolverine, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

..becuase this is what happens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both were shot out of glock 17 with no damage to the gun or myself. I think i need a fully supported barrel...

SW

2. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

#12- Thou shalt not reload for a Glock.

3. Silicon Wolverine

How did i know someone would post that...

SW

4. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

5. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

wow, i need to study the occult glock models, the numbers are crazy... they just wont stop... .40 or 9mm, reloads and glocks are a no-no period. Heck, no cast lead down the barrel either!

6. Silicon Wolverine

ive shot thousands of reloads out of my glock with no problem until i got to this lot of brass. The odd thing is is shot over a thousand rounds of this stuff and these were the only two with major problems. A few others had loose primers that popped out upon ejeaction but about 95% were just like any other 9mm round. No pressure signs at all, just normal shooting. the whole glock/reload thing is a myth for 9mm. with 40 id say yes because of pressure issues.

SW

7. It takes just one to go off in your face to make you believe commandment #12.

8. Ari

Ari Guest

That is scary... With a unsupported chamber I would think that it is only a matter of time before a blow out happens.

9. I guess I've been lucky. I've probably put a couple thousand rounds of reloads through my model 17. I guess I need to rethink the practice. I knew reloads were not recommended, but never was sure why.

10. Silicon Wolverine

The glock is designed to take a case failure without damage. It pops the mag out the bottom and thats it. If the case is still in the gun (rarely) pop it out, reload and keep on shooting.

There is nothing to fear from reloading for glocks. Dont let the reload nazis tell you other wise. About 95% of the ammo i shoot in my glock is reloads and it has over 15,000 rounds through it with no problems other than a recoil spring replacement at about 12,000.

The whole point of this is the BRASS was at fault. it had nothing to do with the gun, the bullet, the powder or the primer.

SW

11. Sniper 995

Sniper 995 Guest

The words GLOCK and KABOOM go together for a reason, and it is not the BRASS. And when a kaboom does happen more can be involved than just the mag popping out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vceh44UK-8I[/ame]

12. Silicon Wolverine

With a .40, yes because its working at pressures far above what a 9mm is. And 90% of the time a case failure is the start of a glock kaboom regardless of caliber. The .40 is also an inherently weaker design because its a 9mm sized frame and slide with a .40 cal barrel in it. Less metal around the case and bullet equals less strength.

Apprently most of you have missed the point of this thread entirely. It was intended to display what brass does when its old/been reloaded too many times, not a Glock/reload bashing thread.

SW

13. Sniper 995

Sniper 995 Guest

I was not bashing glocks, just telling a fact. Glocks DO kaboom. YOU had a kaboom. When the brass gets "worn" in a glock a kaboom will happen, allthough I have seen 2 kabooms with glocks and WWB factory ammo as well. BUT the brass is getting weak at the base because of the chamber not being fully supported. This happens in both 9mm AND .40, more so in .40.

Did you not start this thread with the words,
    But now you seem to be backing out saying the glock had nothing to do with it.

14. Silicon Wolverine

i was being sarcastic.

FYI ive had kabooms with a beretta 9000S and browning hi power, both with factory ammo, and both of those have fully supported chambers. Both also required trips to teh factory for repairs. My glock takes it and keeps on ticking.

SW

15. Sniper 995

Sniper 995 Guest

16. I have a nice Glock 17 that I hardly ever shoot not because I'm afraid of shooting reloads, but mainly because I don't want to mess up perfectly good brass.

One of these days I'm going to pickup a nice Lone Wolf barrel for mine (99 dollars) and then I won't worry about shooting reloads.

17. Sniper 995

Sniper 995 Guest

picking up range brass you can sometimes tell which was fired in a factory glock barrel. They have buldges at the base. even the brass that does not show visible base buldges has them when fired from a stock glock, put them on a mandrel and run an indicator around the base.

18. For the reloader using range brass that is a good idea.I never thought about checking brass with a dial indicater on a mandrel.

That should go to the reloading forum!