Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
17,727 Posts
On the more expensive shotgun ammo, you have other alternatives. You can roll your own shot from lead ingots that you can make yourself, for tools and information, www.leeprecision.com or

http://www.leeprecisioncatalog.com/2007/lg_display.cfm?page_number=27&catalog=060153

http://www.leeprecisioncatalog.com/2007/lg_display.cfm?page_number=26&catalog=060153

I also have a friend that rolls his own 7 1/2 shot for bird hunting. He gets the lead from old tire weights from Tire and Lube joints for free. I thought Lee sold a shot roller but I guess they don't. You can also use a round ball bullet mold of the proper size to cast buckshot. Then, as long as you have a shotgun shell reloader, you're good to go.

· Registered
17,727 Posts
When you do try that out, take pictures of the target that you shoot. That suff looks interesting.

I recall a thread on the old forum where we discussed the liabilities of creating your own defense rounds. Glockman made the point that the right DA could use that to prove "premeditation" and therefore try and convict you of Murder 1! It's a stretch, but...

Anyway, have you seen what one of those "shot rollers" costs, Primal? It's like $400 for the ones I've seen! I'll stick to buying shot in bags.
Actually shot rollers are cheaper than that, as I think my buddy made his own from stuff he had laying around the house. The actual shot "roller" is not really a roller at all. Basically the melted lead just drips down into a bucket of coolant, and is then transfered into the "roller" which is a drum with a door on it. Once the drum is full, he turns it on and it just rolls around in there against each other and knocks off the rough edges and makes the shot more round in shape. It's a pretty cool setup.

As far as shooting someone with a hand load, I don't know if that applies to shotguns as well as pistols/rifles. GlockMan, do you have any information on this as well?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.