Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,539 Posts
I used to have a 12ga and 20ga (different time) for home defense needs. My shotty of choice was the Mossberg 500 with 18.5" cylinder bore barrel, standard wood stock and standard tube with sling and side saddle for spare ammo.

For in the home use I kept the 12ga loaded with either #1 of #3 buck, the 20ga was loaded with #3 buck. Back then there was not a lot of choices for home defense loads, but these days you have all sorts of speciality loads, reduced loads and even the small case buck loads.

Here's a link to and an old article I always like to pass out for those who keep a shotgun for home defense needs. The article is dated Oct 1998 but it's still as valid today as it was when first written and published.

Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition published by FirearmsTactical.com

Below is a short excrept from the Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition article...

"In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.

For home defense applications a standard velocity 2 ¾-inch #1 buck shotshell (16 pellet payload) from Federal, Remington or Winchester is your best choice. We feel the Federal Classic 2 ¾-inch #1 buck load (F127) is slightly better than the same loads offered by Remington and Winchester. The Federal shotshell uses both a plastic shot cup and granulated plastic shot buffer to minimize post-ignition pellet deformation, whereas the Remington and Winchester loads do not."

I encourge everyone who keeps a shotgun in the home, for home defense needs, to read the article in it's entirety, also check out the main site because they have LOT's of good articles and info. Makes for a good day of reading when you dont have a list full of Honey Do's to attend to. LOL.

rimfirehunter

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.