Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
770 Posts
I keep #1 buckshot alternating with slug in my 12ga shotty. :shock:

The reason for the #1 buckshot? Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

It's a tad more expensive and a little harder to find, but Cheaper than Dirt and some other places sell it at reasonable prices.
:p

For further info: http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

· Registered
770 Posts
Anybody ever tried this?
A friend gave me some and I have never tried it at the range to see what kind of pattern it has.
Mmmmmm. Now I need a shotty, so i can get me some o' that!
Looks like the return of the old buck and ball load from centuries past. This was quite an effective load during the days of the War of Northern Aggression and even since then. However, this is the first time I've seen it in a commercial load. It would be interesting to find some and test it with my Model '97 shotgun. 8)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.