1200 LM carbine light

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by OldOutlaw, Aug 6, 2015.

1. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

A short time ago I bought 5 Mini LED flashlights for home and auto uses. I started looking for lights for the carbines. Wasn't impressed with the ones I found for sale. But, I did learn what is thrown together to make many of these. Similar in appearance to the 300 LM ones Mom and others have. But only 300 LM for $20 to $25 or more? All they are is a mini light, pressure switch, and mount.

Here is what I had on hand. 1200 LM lights, each came with 14500 battery and charger.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/311390801235?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    I offered him $25 for all 5 sets.

So, I mounted one with a Weaver Style 1" ring from my tool box.

I have two of these on order. Delivered price of $2.29 each.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161176313391?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Total cost is $7.29. These will blind people I will assure you. At a known distance of 150 yards I could easily see target brightly and my sights laid over the lighted sign were clear.

In about two weeks I will have the pressure switchs to try. Switch looks like the same one Mom uses. I blue loctited all screws. No problem so far. Now to see if the light holds up to a lot of shooting. Maynot on a shotgun or high power rifle.

But, I cannot see paying what they want for lesser intensity lights out there.

Attached Files:

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I like the cree lights.

3. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Why? 1200 lumen is like a 75 watt bulb. Have you ever went from a totally dark room and then switch on a 75w light in your home? Try it out some night, wait for your eyes to adjust to the total darkness in your house, then bring the light up and turn it on.

If you're night hunting, it's one thing, but for home defense, the light would be totally useless, as it'd likely blind you, too. And if you need to engage someone at 150 yards, you'd have a difficult time trying to explain that to police.

4. OldOutlaw

Well yes, I rigged it for HD. The 150 yard was what I tried out of curiosity. Would work for hunting. But I didn't say I was going to, now did I?

Oh, and I am NO STUPID NEWBIE! I DID try it in TOTAL darkness in my house at a short distance across a number of rooms. You say "likely blind you too." Well, all I can say is this. It does not blind me and you don't seem to know what you are even talking about.
    I have been heavy into guns of all types for 60 years now. And yes, I am well over 60!

Oh, and not the least, I am an ex Cop!

Nor do you seem to realize no fool would consider shooting someone outside at 150 yards for HD.

So, what did you do? Buy a cheap set up? Sounds like it to me. So if you don't like it, stuff it. If you want to start some thing with me, then so be it. Bring it on!!!

5. moona11

Popcorn anyone?

6. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

There should be a popcorn emoji.....

7. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Sensitive much, bro?

Yeah, I totally went cheap on my HD setup, though I might consider night vision scope/sight for it in the future if prices come down a bit more:
    [​IMG]

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :stir: This guy is stirring the popcorn? </macho mel> :D

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    [​IMG]
    Borrowed from our buddies @HPT (thanx Ex-ISP!!!)

10. moona11

Can we get the emoji from there they have some cool ones.

11. undeRGRound

INDY
    Just go there, and right click the emoji you want, and select "copy image URL"
    Then use the insert image button above, [​IMG] <That One
    and it will transpose the HPT emoji into HPFF!!

See: [​IMG].............................:llama:

12. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

True but they won't be saved for the rest of the forum. :p

13. moona11

can we get them Rach??????

14. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

[​IMG]

15. sarahsmom

Outlaw, just curious how it turned out with the pressure switch and if it is still holding up well. Might be wanting to do the same thing.

16. OldOutlaw

Unfortunately, the pressure switch I bought was to large of a cap. So, I bought a bigger light so it would fit. Not as bright a light at all.

So, this small one is mounted on the bottom rail just a bit ahead of the stock. The bottom switch button is right there. So, I can very easily just push the button to on.
    In fact, I found I really don't care that much about the pressure switches after all.

I just got a pack of 10 lights,10 Lion Batteries, and 10 chargers in yesterday. Gifts mostly.
    I kept watching ebay and the seller had these for $39.99 Delivered. Now they are back up to $49.99 per 10.

These little ones are VERY bright lights and can be focused from a wide area down to a small longer range point of light. I and my dog watched 4 deer perfectly at about 75-100 yards away late last night. I have given up trying to scare them away from the house. They have already this summer eaten every single flower we like. My bed of Wildflowers were gone in no time.

Ask Underground just how bright they are! He got some for himself also. Besides, they make great gifts.

17. sarahsmom

I think I may have one! He sent one to me when he sent the VFG from MoM!

18. sarahsmom

So all I need to get is a 1" scope ring and I'm in business? (I seem to have a terminal case of Mel-itis?)

19. undeRGRound

INDY
    Yes, Same Light! ;)

I used a 1" (iirc) ofset flashlight mount, and it was too big. I made a PVC spacer
    to fill the gap. It is only a 1/2 round piece. I also removed the clip from the light.

20. OldOutlaw

I mounted my ring over that forward "slotted section?" I thought my ring was a 1". Perhaps a smaller one? Just picked one out of some in a box and it fit.
    My on button is positioned so it is only about 1" in front of stock.

I really like this Cree light!