Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried 147gr. GDHP's in a 995? I found a supply close to me and wondered about them.Would like suggestions on powder if it's a go.
Speer doesn't recommend it in anything longer than a 10" barrel.
I don't blame them with all of the law suits anymore.

Thanks all for reading and giving thoughts on this one.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
the reason they do that is the powder has burn rate way too fast for a carbine barrel. if you want to shot GDs you'd have to load them yourself with a slower powder.

Ammo mfgs are wising up to all the 9mm carbines on the market and are marking thier ammo accordingly as its deisgned for pistols and not carbines.

SW

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
SW, can you explain what would happen if you used a fast powder with a heavy 9mm bullet in a carbine?

I understand you said it would burn too fast but what happens if that does happen?

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
overpressure is what happens. at a low level, ruined brass, poor accuracy and wicked recoil is a result. at a high level, casehead ruptures, weapon damage and kabooms. see explar rounds below, the top came from my 995 after shooting a pistol load with red dot and the bottom was out of my glock 17 after i got a double charge of red dot. the 995 needed repair, it pinched the firing pin channel hard enough the FP wouldnt go back and forth anymore, the glock was undamaged.

SW

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
overpressure is what happens. at a low level, ruined brass, poor accuracy and wicked recoil is a result. at a high level, casehead ruptures, weapon damage and kabooms. see explar rounds below, the top came from my 995 after shooting a pistol load with red dot and the bottom was out of my glock 17 after i got a double charge of red dot. the 995 needed repair, it pinched the firing pin channel hard enough the FP wouldnt go back and forth anymore, the glock was undamaged.

SW
dude....you got an angel on your shoulder.....that coulda hurt

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Damn SW. That case failure had to be pretty scary dude. Thank God nothing bad happened to ya.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
actually it was more loud than anything else. i pulled the trigger and POW the mag came flying out of the grip. i cleared and the brass came out looking like that. i relaoded and kept shooting. the rest of the guys gave me plenty of good natured flak about it though.

the one from the 995 actually hurt when the stock smacked my cheekbone from the recoil.

SW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts