165gr vs 180gr Ammo

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by ELMO4635, Jul 17, 2014.

1. ELMO4635

ELMO4635 Member

is there any difference in using either size of RNFP Ammo in a .40sw Carbine? Was just curious what everyone uses, and why?

Thanks,
    E

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

If you are using ball ammo, including flat point, I would lean towards the lighter bullet with the higher velocity. I don't have a 40 but I use 230 gr ball in my 45s as I have to standardize somewhere and the point of impact between the ball and HP is extremely close.

3. Kronos

Kronos Oppulent Disparity Member

I have the 4095 and assuming you mean commercially available ammo and not reloading, correct?

Buffalo Bore offers 180gr rnfp fmj @ 1,100fps and a 200gr tcfp hard cast (alloy, not lead) @ 1,000fps. You might get lucky and get about 1,000fps from 165gr in "regular" commercial ammo (spec wise from a pistol length barrel). Im not taking into account the slight gain you'd see from a longer barrel.

I dont hunt, but if i did i'd probably use one of these Buffalo Bore choices to reach deep into the vitals of the game. For SD, I want a hp for expansion.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  4. dunno about the carbine's but my pistol prefers the 165gr

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

5. cktvt

cktvt Member

From what I'm seeing on-line these days, the trend seems to away from 180gr and toward 165gr with 40 S&W. Frankly I'm a huge fan of 357 sig, which amounts to a 40 S&W propellant charge behind a 125 gr bullet. 165gr is a move in the right direction in my opinion but doesn't go far enough.

6. Kronos

Wow...and i thought my 140gr hps were light.

7. planosteve

The Buffalo Bore 357 SIG is awesome but expensive. At a $1.50 + a round I only use it when I am out for hogs and home defense.

Heavy 357 Sig. Low Flash Pistol and Handgun Ammo - 125 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point (1,425fps/M.E. 564 ft. lbs.)

8. cktvt

cktvt Member

The "classic" LEO 357 magnum load used a 125gr slug and 357 sig more or less mimics that in a rimless round.

9. cktvt

cktvt Member

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout, right there...;)

10. planosteve

They will kill a hog without to much problem if I do my part.

11. Kronos

You guys and your talk of 357sig. Keeps reminding me how bad i want to convert a hp carbine to .400 cor-bon. The only thing stopping me is lack of money for another gun and finish reamer. Would be a screamin thumper i think.

Brother has a p226 in 357sig. While he likes it, he keeps complaining about needing a 40 barrel for plinking and practice due to 357sig ammo cost.

12. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

The 40sw 135 can closely match the 357sig 125 but it all depend on what brand you picked. I looked at Corbon for their ballistic and they were close.

Check 'em out at Ballistics101 site.

13. CheapSkate

CheapSkate Member

http://greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

This article explains why.

I had a 40SW Hi-Point pistol that was golden UNTIL i started shooting 180gr Winchester white box from WM. I didnt realize what the gun was trying to tell me~ (!stop!!, i dont like this crap!!) and i suspect i bulged my barrel. (Slide locked back,.. Barrel would not allow the slide to rack forward)

I chalked it up to a cheap pistol and moved on,.. (NOPE, bad ammo) I have since renewed my HP fling and try to only shoot quality Underwood ammunition through mine. (Finest ammo on the market)

Traded the 40 off for a nice chainsaw with full disclosure~ at no loss. Guy's buddy had an FFL,.. 40 was replaced by HP,.. Best warranty on the market.

I dont purchase any 180gr 40 anymore from that experience, its dangerous,.. And even if its not,.. The MFR likely is aware of the issue and has loaded you 40SW 180gr light without you being any the wiser.

14. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

All I shoot out of my 4095 is 180gr. It gobbles everything up like an asian guy in a hot dog eating contest. I also hand roll my own with 180gr plated projectiles. Need to pick up a functioning chrono soon enough though. I have yet to encounter a squib with anything. 180gr ammo isn't dangerous, squibs in general are dangerous. They happen with every caliber of ammunition from every manufacturer that produces ammunition, the same way over charges can happen.

A squib becomes doubly dangerous when the shooter fails to catch it for whatever reason, and fires a second round in to it. WWB is notorious for "bad" QC. I'll bet if you bought 180gr from anothr MFR with better QC, you would be pleased with the results.

15. CheapSkate

CheapSkate Member

Not me, never buy 180 again. That experience was more than enough. My balance of 180 will be disposed of in the G20.

Everyone has had experiences they take things away from~ i took away "dont use 180gr 40SW",.. Your experience has been different. (Of course you may unknowingly be buying the lightened 180gr offerings)

(I never had a squib load~ i had rounds that were louder than some of the others,.. No squibs.. Right up to the point the barrel s--t the bed,.. Not HiPoint's fault,.. Like i stated)

(I had the pistol, not the carbine,.. I want the pistol again,.. And that bad a-- little carbine next,.. What a neat combo)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  16. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You have know idea what your talking about.

17. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I have a G20 as well and will roll 180's for it too. I've even rolled a few 200gr for my 4095 with no ill effect. I shoot factory ammo for the brass. With several thousand pieces of it for the .40, I won't need factory ammo for quite a while. Ballistics wise the 165 appears to be the prime round in .40S&W at factory specs. Custom tailored loads make all the difference.

18. CheapSkate

CheapSkate Member

Go **** yourself troll

19. planosteve

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    But...he's right.

180 grain is the standard basic starting load for .40.

180 grain is NOT a bad idea in the .40, its NORMAL. Its NOT dangerous, that's just silly.

Though admittedly, the lighter stuff is faster and this produces more energy but possibly less penetration, depending on variables...

And the 180 did not mess up your gun.:rolleyes: