170 Ohio CCW licenses canceled!

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by lklawson, Jun 9, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Seems the <ahem> "instructor" teaching the classes failed to teach the class as required by Ohio law, apparently neglecting the required Range portion. He then issued training certificates which the students used to obtain Ohio CCW's.

Their training was incomplete so their CCW's were canceled. They'll have to retake the course.

http://www.news-herald.com/general-...ly-gave-out-170-invalid-training-certificates

Moron.

If you're a more-or-less competent shooter, you can nealry pass the Ohio required course napping through a video of the instructor droning on followed by a pleasant time punching holes in targets while the instructor naps. OK, I'm exaggerating a little, but it really is pretty easy to get the Ohio requirements.

What was the reason the guy did this? Just to cut a few hours off of the class time, I'm guessing?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

I see a 170person joint lawsuit against the instructor coming soon.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    So more people who are bad shooters will apply for HIS COURSE, because it is "easier"? :p

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Good luck with that. He'll probably get a conviction and I'm sure he's already spent the money. His customers are screwed. They're simply out their money, as if they'd bought a bridge.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Maybe.

OTOH, maybe he was only offering the "fast track" course to people who he believed could already shoot (or something).

Maybe he was just a scam artist.

The article doesn't say.

What surprises me is that he apparently thought he could get away with this.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Or a 170 person manhunt :rofl:

7. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I see stupid people :rolleyes:

Here in CO you can get a CCW without the range time. My security manager taught my class and it included 4 hours classroom and 100 rnds down the pipe minimum. My wife wanted her CCW and I said OK, but you will do the range time. She agreed and Shot ten times better than her classmates. Made me proud :blush:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  8. undeRGRound

INDY
    hoo-ray for Mrs. OUTLAW!

Attached Files:

9. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Next best thing to constitutional carry here in PA. No classes required at all. A very small a fee and and application to the sherrif and you have your CCW in a few days at most.

Bu tto get back on subject, I don't know what the guy was thinking. I am guessing that he probably figured he wouldn't get caught.

Maybe he didn't believet that the range time shoudl be required and was doing this as a rebellion against an unjust law?

It really stinks for those 170 folks. Although, they should have know the law and known that the range time was required. Heck, I knew my stat's laws before I knew what gun I was going to buy.

It would be nice if this spurred a change in the laws and Prompted Ohio to do away with the whole requirement in the first place, but I doubt that will happen

10. Buyer beware...

Those students failed to know the requirements of obtaining their license. Yes, what the instructor did is wrong, but the customers are part of the problem too.

11. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    We had this last year with the ccw finally got rolling. There were about 200 applicants rejected due to improper training. 90% were by one Chicago instructor.

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    Go Figure!
    Don't tell me, he was related to Rahm-Bo... ;)

13. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    The Chicago Metro is #1 in ccw permit holders. But that is to be expected when one considers that there are 13 million people in the State of IL, and 9 million live in the Chicago Metro area.

14. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

From my understanding, the instructor was giving 8 hour classes, while the permits were still requiring 12 hours.
    This was right after the law was signed for the 8 hour class, but before the law actually took place(between Jan and Mar this year).

Was this trickery, or was it belief that once the law was signed, it didn't need any "grace" period before being enacted? Who's to say. Only that 170 people didn't realize it either.