Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case anyone still questions whether or not a "little" .177 cal pump-up air rifle can be used for small game hunting, I just popped a squirrel behind the ear with one on Friday afternoon. Blasted thing had gotten into my attic and I needed to take it out before it tore up something that I couldn't take care of easily.

I should have taken a photo on my <cough> "hunting prowess" but I just tossed it into the trash.

Anyway, that .177 cal pellet was more than up to the task, at least for a squirrel. It would take rabbit, squirrel, a lot of small birds, etc. I don't think I'd trust if for a groundhog, but anything rabbit sized or smaller is definitely in the cross-hairs (literally).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Visper and moona11

·
Premium Member
8,529 Posts
Guns and Ammo had an article about hunting with pellet rifles about the mid-1980's.

They reported that several States had a foot pound requirement - 21.

Other States had a feet per second requirement - 600 for .22; 900 for .177.

The Crosman Model 760 BB/Pellet Rifle in .177 can develope 625 fps with a maximum ten pumps.

Many inexpensive CO2 pellet pistols can develope 480 fps - good enough to harvest thin skulled vermin (mice, rats, snakes).

Helpful eldar

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Love my Hatsan MOD95 .177 break barrel. It's shoots right in that sweet spot of between 850 to 950 FPS range using 7.5 to 10.6 grain pellets. The accuracy is outstanding when using the heavier pellets and I think its due to better wind resistance of the heavies, over the lighter weight grains. It's not a $10K Olympic Biathalon accurate type pellet rifle, but I still like it.

I'm sure it would shoot even better if I was using match pellets over what pellets I get off the Walmart shelf, but sometimes a poor man has to work with the tools they have.

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
The Olympic Biathlon uses .22 rim fire. Pellet guns are for another type of biathlon. Just saying....

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
My Beeman has no problems dropping rabbits in the yard with the .177 barrel. The .22 barrel dropped a woodchuck last year. I sit in the back garage and shoot em through the screen. That Beeman is spring loaded and is loud.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I used to shoot crows out by bedroom window with my Benjamin .177 pump. Of course, that was 50 years ago. Probably needs a good refurb at this point.

·
Registered
679 Posts
A drop or two of Crosman Pellgun oil on the seals might rejuvenate your air rifle.

eldar
Good suggestion but I was actually thinking about breaking it down and doing a rebuild. I'm sure the thing is pretty gunked up and could use new seals. Crosman has rebuild kits available. I just gotta' get a rountuit. That and clean out the gutters, fix an irrigation leak, caulk around my garage door, and take down some dead bushes from the Dallas Snowmageddon. Ya' know.

·
Premium Member
21,300 Posts
My sister in law has a .177 AK looking thing she shoots iguanas in the yard. Many much larger than squirrels. They also have a .177 rotary semi auto with a silencer. Evidently you can make good money harvesting "chicken of the tree."

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
78 Posts
Good suggestion but I was actually thinking about breaking it down and doing a rebuild. I'm sure the thing is pretty gunked up and could use new seals. Crosman has rebuild kits available. I just gotta' get a rountuit. That and clean out the gutters, fix an irrigation leak, caulk around my garage door, and take down some dead bushes from the Dallas Snowmageddon. Ya' know.
When you take it apart soak your seals in brake fluid while you clean the gunk out of it, They'll swell and you may not have to buy new ones. Sounds like something to do while you're watching caulk dry.
I think the Daisies are the best buy right now. The Red Ryder is a lot of gun for the money and super fun. Not accurate or powerful, but it puts pop cans down. The 880 is as fast or faster than a 760 and has a rifled barrel! A scope and a rifled barrel on a pump gun for $40, even if it is Chinese I'll take it. The scope is terrible, I put the scope from the Daisy 22SG on it and it's a little better. The 22's hit a lot harder but drop like an anchor, so shots are closer and iron sights are fine on it. I had a 760 when I was a kid, so that's what I got the monkeys, Wish I'd known how great the 880s were, that's what they would have got. The handle is a lot easier to pump which would have been better for the young uns. I too would like to see how they do with expensive match grade pellets, but whatever flat noses I find on sale are accurate enough since I can dial in how many pumps to run them with.

·
Premium Member
21,300 Posts
Brake fluid is rough on paint

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Years ago at one of my folks' former places, they had problems with ground squirrels putting holes all over the place and rabbits getting into the garden. I took care of one of each using a simple Crossman .177 pump air rifle, and I don't recall having pumped it the full 10 times. They only had BBs and no pellets. The BBs worked, but they weren't very humane. Unless I'm starving to death and have no other way to do it, I won't shoot varmints with BBs ever again.

Needless to say, I have no doubts about the effectiveness of a .177 air gun for use as a small game tool.

·
Premium Member
21,300 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts