17HMR Vs. 22LR

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by gunnut, Apr 20, 2008.

17HMR Vs. 22LR

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 1:28 AM.
  1. 17HMR

100.0%
  2. 22LR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gunnut

gunnut Member

Indy
    I am looking for a small game rifle, but I don't know if buying a new caliber of weapon is really necessary. The biggest take would be a coyote. I have read the ballistics and just want to hear from people that have actually used them to drop live targets. I realize I could go with a .223 or 22-250, but I have noise restrictions as I'm on the outskirts of town. I have a few semi-auto 22LRs, could that be enough to drop a coyote at 50~100yds? Any advice or "life experience" shared will be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance.

2. I'll go with .22lr for small game. For the cost of .17 or .22mags I can reload (for some buy factory loaded) centerfire ammunition.

3. A .22 LR will do 99% of what you discribed. A .22 Mag will do 99.999% of what you discribed. As for a coyote its hard to kill them with a HMR .22 LR or a .22 Mag from personal experiance. Both rounds can do it but youve got to have a great shot a good bullet and be willing to put a couple of rounds into it. Cant speak for the .17 beacuse Ive never shot one and I dont know anyone with one cause we all have .22s

4. Ari

Ari Guest

.17s cost to much for me... There are more types of 22lr made then any other round out there. Everyone that shoots must have one nice 22lr rifle. They can do so much. But for the type of game you talked about I think the 5.45x39 in a Saiga might be very fun to try. Gun does not cost much ammo is cheap and flat shooting. And if you wanted to you could work up some nice loads for it.

5. CCI Velociters, made for yotes

Velocitor
    Part Number: 0047

Caliber
    Bullet Weigh, gr
    Bullet Type
    Box Count

22 Long Rifle
    GLHP

Velocity, ft/sec

Muzzle
    50 yards
    75 yards
    100 yards

Energy, ft-lbs

Muzzle
    50 yards
    75 yards
    100 yards

Trajectory if sighted at 100 yards

25 yards
    50 yards
    75 yards
    100 yards

Product Description

A speedy predator is loose and looking for varmints! Velocitor is the fastest 40 gr 22 Long Rifle on the market. It carries energy farther for plenty of long-range wallop. (part #0047)

FEATURES & BENEFITS
    USAGE

40 grain gilded hollow point nose at 1435 ft/sec
    22 percent greater energy at 100 yards than regular
    high-speed hollow points
    Special HP cavity design, derived from Speer® Gold Dot®
    technology, retains virtually 100 percent bullet weight
    Clean-burning propellants keep actions cleaner
    Sure-fire CCI priming
    Reusable plastic box with dispenser lid
    Up to large varmints like coyotes

6. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

there is nothing a 17 can do that a 22 wont. theres no point to them other than "i need a different caliber" crowd.

SW

7. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

There is nothing the 17HMR can do that the .22LR can't. As to dropping a coyote, you'd be better with a 995, 4095, AR-15 or SKS/AK type weapon for a single shot drop.

Since you're in a noise restricted area, your .22LR weapons will be more than enough to handle the problem at the 50-100 yards you mentioned.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

8. gunnut

gunnut Member

Indy
    So the general concensus is the 22LR will do the job. Now, any suggestions on a cheap 22LR bolt action? My budget will be about $150.

9. Ari

Ari Guest

Ya the savage MKII right at that price, great great trigger! This is what I got my dad. But his has a black plastic stock. We have also scoped it. See if I can take a photo of his. Here is the factory photo with the wood stock. The wood stock is more money. but his looks just like this but the other stock.

[​IMG]

Ok here is my dad's

[​IMG]

10. As much as I like rimfire guns I have yet to get anything in .17cal. My preferred hunting round for small game is the .22LR or .22Mag. I have dropped many a Coyote, pest deer (with permit) and several feral hogs (although not my preferred hog caliber) an unknown number of squirrel, rabbit and coons with the .22Mag.

11. You're braver than I rimfire,
    I never want to see a feral hog while armed only with a .22, those things can be nasty.

12. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

+infinity for the Savage MKII. I love mine. I have the walnut stock with a left handed bolt. Great gun!!!

13. I voted for the .22LR. The ammo is much less expensive and if you get a good high velocity load, it'll do the job.

I think .22mag would do it even better.

14. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

I voted for the .17HMR. I have both rounds and have shot live game with both, not a huge difference between the two but from personal experience the .17HMR seemed to handle the coyotes a little better than the .22.

15. bobm

bobm Member

I personnaly like the 17 HMR over any 22, shoots flatter, better range, and were as the 22 w/a 40 gr projectile bring more punch , the 17HMR is less likely to require more than one shot. Of course no one that dislikes the 17HMR will ever give it a chance. Kinda like a hi point. to much bias out there. And as for Coyotes or any thing over 40 lb, why in the hell are you using a 17 or 22 anything. I would want minimum 22-250/223 on up.

But hey thats just my opinion, your mileage may vary depending on your driving experience, and road conditions.

16. while a .22 can do what a .17 can the .17 is probably going to be more accurate for longer ranges and its a very devastating round on small targets. I've owned one and loved it to death. Its great if all you want to do is take down varmints with it but I wouldn't use it for target shooting over a .22.

17. .17 HMR.

There is just something badarse about a bullet screaming downrange at + 4000 FPS at the muzzle. 'Nuff said.

18. .22 better price and selection of ammo perfectly suited for 50-100 yd just make good placement.

19. gunnut

gunnut Member

Indy
    Ari, I took your advise and bought the Savage MKII. I posted pics on Other Brands of Firearms. I picked it up for $150 OTD. I will get out and shoot it tomorrow, hopefully. Thanks for the advise everyone.

20. 45Man

45Man Member

Sorry...more like 2500 fps.
    http://www.bullberry.com/HMRdata.html