18 Yr Olds Can Now Buy And Own Handguns!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by SHOOTER Z, Apr 4, 2008.

1. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

As of today it is now legal in South carolina for 18 yrs and up to buy and own a handgun.

2. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

In SD you can get a CCW permit to carry and own a handgun at age 18 but a parent must buy the gun for you. Wierd but it works for us.

SW

3. AnArmyofRon

AnArmyofRon Guest

In some countries they even consider 18 year olds to be adults!!!

4. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

is that from a private seller? I thought it was federal law that you had to be 21 in order to buy a handgun from an FFL.

5. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

I think that is a bullsh*t law, and I think the drinking age being 21 is bullsh*t too. If you are considered a "man" and old enough to go to war and DIE at the age of 18 for this country, you should be able to drink and buy firearms freely.

I have thought that for years!

6. AnArmyofRon

AnArmyofRon Guest

When was the last 18 year old you saw act like an adult? In the military we force 18 year olds to become Soldiers (Men and Women). Civilian 18 year olds are different. I could argue either side of this issue. My previous post was meant as sarcastic, but now that I think about it: Is there a difference between 18 year old civilians vs. 18 year old military service?
    Or is that a new post?

7. Sniper 995

Sniper 995 Guest

+1

probably alot more than the number of 21 year olds that act like adults, but that could be more about the "yay i'm old enough to get drunk legally" thing too.

8. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

I honestly don't look at age as a way to determine maturity after about 17 or 18 years old. I have met plenty of grown men and women that act like they are in their young teens.

On the same note I have met a 18 year olds that are more mature than men in their 30's. It just depends on the person really and what type of life they have.

9. browwiw

browwiw Member

I used to teach high school. I know what today's 18 year olds are like (did I just type that? I'm only 27...). I'll probably be steering clear of SC for the time being.

10. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

Some interesting information on 18 to be adulthood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-sixth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Suffrage to those 18 and older was endorsed by Presidents Dwight D. Eisenhower and Lyndon B. Johnson. A law was passed in 1970 which was similar to this Amendment, but the State of Oregon challenged it in court, and the Supreme Court declared the parts of the law that required states to register 18-year-olds for state elections to be unconstitutional.[1] By this time, five states had already granted some citizens under the age of 21 the right to vote (Georgia and Kentucky observed 18 as the minimum voting age, Alaska 19, and Hawaii and New Hampshire 20), but many citizens wanted all states to do so.

The Congress and the state legislatures felt increasing pressure to pass the Constitutional amendment because of the Vietnam War, in which many young men who were ineligible to vote were conscripted to fight, and died. In fact, a common slogan for young soldiers deployed to Vietnam was, "Old enough to fight, old enough to vote." The idea was that people who were old enough to be drafted into the military should have a say in the selection of the civilian government that determines when and how military force is used. With this in his mind, President Lyndon Johnson had asked the Congress to propose an amendment lowering the voting age to 18 in the summer of 1968. The amendment passed through the Congress when it was reintroduced by Senator Jennings Randolph in 1971, and within months passed three-fourths of the state legislatures, faster than any other amendment. The Twenty sixth Amendment was formally certified by President Richard Nixon on July 1, 1971.

A semi-intended consequence of the Twenty sixth Amendment was that after its passage, one state after another then lowered the minimum age for exercising most other adult rights, such as marrying and signing contracts without parental consent, to 18 as well (Mississippi being the last). By the end of the 1980s all fifty states had done so. However many states do retain higher age limits for other rights: for example Alabama, Utah, New Jersey and Alaska's minimum age for tobacco use is 19; and Nevada as well as other states have a limit of 21 years for gambling. Notably, the Congress has also effected a similar change in states' age limits in the other direction. For example, after many states lowered their drinking ages in the 1970s, the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 obliged states to set a limit of 21 years for the purchase of alcohol under threat of losing 10% of federal highway construction money.[2]

11. AnArmyofRon

AnArmyofRon Guest

Exactly. Dead on. Still, the government has to set an age as an adult. Should the age for drinking, buying firearms, deciding if they want to join the military at 18 be considered adult?

12. AnArmyofRon

AnArmyofRon Guest

I'm probably already behind the posts that followed what I said last.
    I am in favor of considering an 18 year old an adult.
    Drinking, owning a gun, voting, military, EVERYTHING that comes with being an adult.
    I also hold them accountable and responsible for being an adult.
    You can't be considered an adult and also be considered to young to know better at the same time.

14. Carbin8r

Carbin8r Member

+1

15. I think its bull shite that i'm 20 and still can't buy alcohol or a handgun. But they're more than willing to let me go die for my country.

Thank god i'm 21 in exactly one week.

16. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Well early Happy B day to ya. Mine is on the 10th :lol: I'll be real old [48] :wink:

17. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

Actually don't some military bases allow you to drink under the age of 21. My brother in law was stationed in Texas, and I'm pretty sure his wife was allowed to drink (under the age of 21, but he had to be present).

I agree that it's nuts we expect an 18 yr old to fight and die for his country, but dont' allow them a bottle of suds till the age of 21. It's a pretty dumb law IMO. I guess you have to look at the bigger picture too. Look how many highschool seniors are age 18 prior to graduation. Could you imagine the statistics on highschool senior deaths that would be related to alchohol if the legal age was 18. Some of the numbers are already alarming in several states. In a way I can see this law helping to some extent for those still in highschool.

Personally I think the drinking age here in the US should be like Canada. In Canada you can drink at age 19. I grew up on lake Erie (Erie PA), and I can't tell you how much time I've spent in Canada over the years. When I turned 21 (quite a few years ago) going to bars in the US wasn't exciting at all. I had already been legally going to bars in Canada for several years prior

18. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

When i was in the national guard at age 18 i could walk into any bar in town in uniform and get served without question. Everybody told us it doesnt matter if youre 21 or not, if youre in uniform, you will be served.

SW

19. Happy birthday, mine is on May 9th, ill be 22.

20. Maturity is a relative thing... thus why I'm 22 and am currently dating a 37 year old. *shrug*. It happens lol.