1903A3 range report

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Death Penalty, May 23, 2008.

1. I came up with a nice load a couple weeks ago in my 30-06, but of course I couldn't leave it alone. My best group had been about 3.5 MOA at 100yds. This was acceptable in a military grade rifle shooting cast lead bullets. However, it wasn't really as good as I thought it should be. I free floated the barrel and loaded up another 20 rounds to test with. I had since changed out the rings on my scope as well, so I need to resight with the new rings. The first seven shots of the trip went to resighting.

This was the first group, 3 shots at roughly 1.5 MOA:
    [​IMG]
    This was exciting. Dropping my group by half by floating was interesting as I had never had the need to float a barrel before.

The next group, well, I don't know what happened. I called one flier, but the other one came out of nowhere. The group to the left however was another 3 very good shots.
    [​IMG]

And this was my last group. There was one flier this time, again I have no idea why it happened. This group (ignoring the flier) spread out to around 2.75 MOA. This is still better than my previous groupings with barrel contact.
    [​IMG]

The load is on the targets. The rifle is a Remington 03A3 with a 22" barrel and a Bishop walnut sporter stock.

2. The best part of working up a load is you get to shoot all those loaded rounds! Keep working at it and you may just hit the sweet spot and suprise yourself.

3. I tried variations of the load with barrel contact and was very disappointed. This load seem to be as sweet as I can get with 2400, which is a great balance of velocity and low price per load. I have very little doubt that it would drop a coyote like a wet sack of s**t. Towards the end of the summer I am going to be getting a little lathe. I'll be using it to hollow point some cast bullets. At that point I have no doubt that it would treat a buck very much like it would treat a coyote...