1911 carry

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by travis9mm, Mar 2, 2015.

1. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Hey all, slowly planning for my 1911 and ive got a question for yall. How do you guys carry? Chambered safety on or off? Palm safety deters an accidental fire. But do you still keep the thumb safety on? Or off. Sorry if this is a stupid question but just curious.

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Even with the grip safety, you want to keep the thumb safety engaged. It takes no time to disengage it, and it can delay someone in the unlikely, but still feasible, event that a bad guy gets a hold of it from you.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Reposted from your Zastava m88a thread.

4. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Thats what i figured. Thats how i carry now. Wasnt sure if anyone had advice on 1911 carry

5. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

Jeff Coopers, handgun carry, condition of readiness:

Condition 4: Chamber empty, empty magazine, hammer down.

Condition 3: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.

Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.

Condition 1: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.

Condition 0: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

I have been carrying 1911's for far to many years to mention, and have always carry in condition 1..

6. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Thank you VERY much. Thats how ill continue to carry

7. drscot

drscot Member

Cocked and locked.

Cocked and locked is how the 1911 is designed to be carried, BUT I highly recommend you do enough training so that you don't make the same mistake I did (not once, but TWICE). I was live trapping opossums that routinely dig up my garden and thought I would give them (two separate occasions) a sporting chance as I opened the trap. They can be FAST! I drew a bead and pulled the trigger only for nothing to happen. Did it again with similar results. When I finally realized I had failed to disengage the safety, the dang thing was already in the woods. I said to myself "That will never happen again!" It DID. I realized I needed to get a lot more training with my 1911. The moral of this story is that in the heat of the moment, you could find yourself making an omission that could cost you your life. Practice until it is second nature and done without thinking, but DON'T shoot yourself in the foot while you are at it! :eek:

8. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Thanks for the info. I need to get blanks and head to my buddies woods and get real practice. Im to squirmish to practice with live rounds and snap caps arent the edge im looking for. If a blank were to go off before i was on "target" id know i screwed up. Ive practiced A LOT with empty mag and chamber and have gotten very comfortable, but with something that can be a loud wake up call from mishandling i believe would be beneficial.

Does anyone agree with that ramble of a statement?

9. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    As long as you index your trigger finger along the frame when you draw and thumb off the safety, you won't have any negligent discharges. I used a Glock during USPSA competitions most of the time and switched to my 1911 just for the fun of it. The safety was no problem even after having used the Glock for so long.

10. papataylor

papataylor Member

I carried a 1911 for a year. I'll say this, don't do it. It's not worth the weight and discomfort

11. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

I carried a c9 for 2 years and my zastava m88a for 7 months and neither a really a "conceal" gun. Lol

[​IMG]

This is a full size 1911 holster with my zastava in it

12. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I assume you mean concealed carry. Not knocking the 1911's, I think they are fine weapons. Just not my cup of tea for concealed carry simply for ALL the reasons stated above. When I carry CCW you might say I stay in condition 0. I'm too old and slow (hate saying that but true) to have to fiddle with safeties and gadgetry. Any more I carry a Ruger LCR. Two pulls; pull it out and pull the trigger. Now before you'all start stomping the LCR, I know it's a belly gun and all that. However, it is as smooth as glass, has a light trigger, I am deadly with it at 10 yds, it's laser equipped and simply works in all situations. I might carry my Kahr MK40 in a sneaky pete type holster from time to time if I go near the hood (no pun intended. O.K. whatever). So, it's pretty much each to his own. But, I do love those 1911,s.

13. I carried one for years both OC and concealed. I felt very comfortable carrying it. Hell between one week to the next my weight fluctuates more than the weight of a 1911. A good heavy pair of jeans weighs more than a 1911.

14. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I routinely carry either my RIA 1911CS Officers model or my Ruger 1911CMD Commander model as my CCW. Neither are hard to conceal, are not heavy or uncomfortable to carry. I have no trouble concealing a 1911 in any weather.

As to the original question... I carry 1911's in the C1 position in a proper holster that also provides a leather strap under the hammer. If you practice, as you should do for any weapon you carry, flipping the safety off as you clear the holster and begin the upward arc of the draw becomes a learned muscle movement.

15. papataylor

papataylor Member

Come on now guys... There's no need to strut your stuff. As far as comfort and concealability goes, 1911s aren't exactly leading the pack... And I'm a huge 1911 fan. So much so I own only 1911 and 1911 style autoloaders.

16. Mostly agree but I never took my safety off until I decided to pull the trigger. As a LEO there are a lot more times that a handgun is drawn without the direct intent to use deadly force. For safety I kept the safety on or the hammer down. Now as a LAC if I draw I intend to fire, but I am too old to change my habits.

17. FlashBang

As a LEO I always carried with the safety off and holstered in a L2 holster. When it came out I kept my booger picker indexed the way it should be until I was ready to pull the trigger... and ANYTIME I drew my weapon it was done with the direct intent that I was going to, or did, use it. I never pulled out of the holster to simply intimidate someone. I don't do it now either, if I pull down on you it is because I am fixin to send you to hell.

18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

WW if you pull your gun out its with the intent to use it. We don't draw just to show it off. Its not used for directing traffic or pointing out directions. Thought you were a cop once you should know better than that.

19. I take it you have never made a felony stop?:eek:

Or cleared a building, served a felony warrant, among a whole hell of a lot of situations that call for carrying at the ready.

The more I think about it, the more silly your post is. You really have a hard on for me, I am not interested.

As far as make ready I would imagine that police do it across the country hundreds if not thousands of times without discharging their weapons. Just where the hell are you a LEO that you have never been in a high risk response/situation?

Hell even the Brinks guards used to do their job with handguns in hands, without intending to shoot anyone. It used to be a common sight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  20. FlashBang

I can't speak for Moon, but I'll be glad to give my answers to you.

Made hundreds of them and deployed my weapon with the intent to use it if required.

Done all that more times then you can count, and in each case I deployed my weapon with the intent to use it if warranted.

I see nothing silly in his post. As a LEO you do not draw a weapon unless you have the intent to use it.

I know of no Officers that will pull a weapon simply to intimidate someone with it. Where were/are you a LEO that taught you to draw your weapon just to intimidate people with it?

I worked for Harris County Texas in the South East of Houston, not a place for the faint of heart. Not one Officer would pull a weapon unless they had the intent to use it. Do not confuse not having to use your weapon with not having the intent to use it.

That's why they were guards and not LEO's. ;) If you do not have a situation where you intend to use your weapon it should never leave the holster. Having the intent to use it does not mean that in every situation it will get used... but your intent to use it better be there.