Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a 1911, and I had pretty much settled on a Rock Island one. However I'm sketchy on the GI style sights. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a machinist on ebay that will mill out the original GI sights to fit replacement "Peen" in sights. I think I'll give them a try if I don't like the stock sights. I'll let everyone know how they work out if I do it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
from what ive seen i hate them, they are too small and i dont even have bad vision.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I have a Springfield 1911 A1 GI and the sights are pretty hard to see. I've been looking for some alternatives for a while but I haven't found anything that's in my price range.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
for 1911s i prefer bo-mar sights but they are curretnly not producing sights due to company prolbems. Novak and Caspian are other options. none are cheap, but they are worth every penny.

SW

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Novak

if you'll just put something to change the black on the post, anything that adds higher visibility, it will make a huge difference. If you do end up having it removed, be sure you get someone who knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Lots of good sights out there, Novak,Meprolight,Trijicon, Bomar but not the GI sights.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the different machinist touches that this ebay seller offers. I will probably do the sights. I would also like to do the "Lighting" ports cause they look cool, but its not worth $100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Novak-1911-Rear...47129596QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0

http://cgi.ebay.com/EGW-French-Bord...48088395QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0

http://cgi.ebay.com/EGW-Flat-Top-Se...48088343QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0

http://cgi.ebay.com/EGW-Lightening-...47128845QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0

The lighting slots are soooo sci-fi lookin!!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If you are pretty much settled on the RIA then get the upgraded version to start with that has the better sights.

Personally I would never put the lightning cuts into the slide of a 1911. The slides are a certain mass for a reason, lightning the slide can cause issues.

I suggest you go to 1911.org forums and into the Armscor/Rock Island section of the forum and post what you are considering there. They actually have an RIA rep who is an active member and alot of people with very good knowledge of 1911's.
There's one guy there (1911Tuner) who is some kind of 1911 guru.

Just my 2 cents as the owner of 2 1911's.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got back from the YMCA and I've decided to go with the upgraded RIA 1911 with the combat sights. It will be way cheaper than getting the extra stuff machined and then adding aftermarket sights. However if anyone were to suggest another nice 1911 in the same price range please let me know.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I just got back from the YMCA and I've decided to go with the upgraded RIA 1911 with the combat sights. It will be way cheaper than getting the extra stuff machined and then adding aftermarket sights. However if anyone were to suggest another nice 1911 in the same price range please let me know.
I don't think there is another in the same price range.

Get an extra recol spring and a different magazine right away.
Don't go cheap on the mags, I like the Wilson ETM but have also used Wilson 47d, Kimber Tac Pro and Tripp mags with no problems. My first choice is one of the Wilsons.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Ive been in the 1911 world for awhile now, well...only two years, Im on 23.

And Ive owned about 5, and even carry onc since I turned 21. And if there is one thing I've learned, its NOT to buy a "cheap" 1911 just because its in your budget, because you will never be happy with it and want more. You obviously hate the sights, then you will start to hate the shitty grip safety, the sloppy trigger, the play in the slide/frame fit. You will do one of two things, sell the gun, a GI brings in ~$200 aftermarket and have a bad feeling about 1911s the rest of your life, or you will purchase parts and upgrade your 1911 to the way you want it, in which time you could have bought two nice 1911s.

With all that being said, buy a decent 1911.....

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Ive been in the 1911 world for awhile now, well...only two years, Im on 23.

And Ive owned about 5, and even carry onc since I turned 21. And if there is one thing I've learned, its NOT to buy a "cheap" 1911 just because its in your budget, because you will never be happy with it and want more. You obviously hate the sights, then you will start to hate the shatty grip safety, the sloppy trigger, the play in the slide/frame fit. You will do one of two things, sell the gun, a GI brings in ~$200 aftermarket and have a bad feeling about 1911s the rest of your life, or you will purchase parts and upgrade your 1911 to the way you want it, in which time you could have bought two nice 1911s.

With all that being said, buy a decent 1911.....
Or buy the RIA you want and can afford with the upgraded sights which I beleive has other features such as the flared and lowered ejection port.
Take it for what it is an entry level 1911 and a good carry gun, then you can always save for something you might like more.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've known several people who have the RIAs and they are good guns. Not as fancy or feature packed as some of the more expensive models, but if you want a 1911, that's a great place to start. If I was looking for another 1911, that would be the one I'd be getting.

·
Registered
721 Posts
from what ive seen i hate them, they are too small and i dont even have bad vision.
I shot my RIA yesterday for the 1st time and yeah I want them changed as well. Don't think it will be cheap If I can find some one to do it

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Armscor, the distributor for RIA also has a couple of other companies producing the same 1911's with variations in options. I picked up a High Standard Commander 1911. It has a bull barrel, match trigger and match hammer, but it also came with steel Novak sights from the factory. I really like the sights and am pretty proficient with them even in low light conditions. I wouldn't mind to upgrade them, but they are much better than the standard blade style on the original GI's. The gun seams to be a great gun besides the fact that mine came as a fully automatic!!! After I get that straightened away, it will be my carry weapon. Atleast I know it can function fine even while discharging much faster than I am capable of!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts