Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious what everyone out there thought of 1911's, who owns them, I'm wanting to purchase my first 1911 and I'm not really sure what I want to go for but I'm leaning towards a taurus in stainless. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
I was just curious what everyone out there thought of 1911's, who owns them, I'm wanting to purchase my first 1911 and I'm not really sure what I want to go for but I'm leaning towards a taurus in stainless. Any thoughts?
I currently only own 3, all .45 acp. A Colt Combat Commander, Kimber Ultra CDP II, and an Armscorp Tactical. I'm seriously looking at a Colt Government Model Serives 80 in 9mm.

A man can't possibly have enough 1911s...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally got a chance to shoot one and though I haven't shot a glock yet that alot of people seem to love to, I loved how the 1911 felt in my hand and shot, very accurate. Main thing with the taurus is alot of features for the cost. I'd LOVE to get a colt gold cup come tax time though lol. Ive read some people don't care for taurus because the frame isn't forged but I really don't know alot about 1911's so that brings me here lol.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator. It is my preferred carry weapon.
You should get a 1911.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
1911s are great if they fit you. when i went glocks i got ri dof all my 1911s because glocks fit me better. if you can, set them side by side and see which fits you better. they have a distinctly different grip angle than others.

the only 1911 i have serious reservations about is the bottom dollar imports. quality is seriouslt lacking in some models. otherwise find what works for you and enjoy.

SW

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
I have a Rock Island Armory (Armscor) and for the price it is awesome, got mine new out the door for $435, and it is a tack driver. In the right hands it can (stock mind you) outshoot 1911s that cost 2-3 times as much (that aren't stock). It is the most authentic new 1911 you with find, it is made just like the ones back in the early 1900s, any 1911 parts will work in it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a Rock Island Armory (Armscor) and for the price it is awesome, got mine new out the door for $435, and it is a tack driver. In the right hands it can (stock mind you) outshoot 1911s that cost 2-3 times as much (that aren't stock). It is the most authentic new 1911 you with find, it is made just like the ones back in the early 1900s, any 1911 parts will work in it.
Yeah, thats the one I have been looking at possibly getting as well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The 1911....my favorite subject.

I feel that you cannot get a better handgun design out there. The fact that the 1911 has been in active service for around 100 years in the military, LE, and civilian sheepdog arenas say volumes for the quality and design of the weapon. It is one of the most natural pointing semi-autos out there. I recommend you go out and try one to see for yourself. The 1911 is uncomfortable to a few out there (i.e. Silicon Wolverine), but that is usually the exception, not the rule.

The Taurus line of 1911s are great quality, and are very solid shooters. You will not be disappointed in the least.

·
1,792 Posts
I picked up an American Classic II from metro Arms. An off brand made in the Philippines.

Nice pistol. I was hesitant as it was not a name brand $1000+ gun. You know colt or nothing right???!!!??

Any way's. It is really a great firearm. Came with some nice extra's MIM of course. But nice. Good Sights ( I am sure some copy right infringement here ).

Point being>>> The design has been around for so long that it is rare to come across a true SPEC copy that is a piece of crap.

Sure you may need to break them in, I didn't have too. And sure some of those High end ones need a little TLC to get them running smooth, Tight tolerances.

But I just cant see anyone going wrong getting one. Be it COLT, or Taurus or anything in between.

However I do not CCW it. Weighs like 20 pounds LOL. No but it is real hefty.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Rock Island Armory
I would have to agree, for the money, and what you get. Nothing can beat this gun. I've owned three 1911s before. One Llama Mini-max (junk, but only paid $100 for it) which I gave to my brother as a present when he got is CCW. And two Paras. One 6in "hawg" as a shooter, and another was the P-16. Which the good people at Jarvis(I think it was Jarvis) made me a 10mm barrel for and served as my carry gun before I gave up carrying. Both went to trade towards other guns, and are long gone.

Back to the RIA. I have the tactical model, out of the box, it's probably the best "budget" firearm you will own. Think of it as the Hi-Point of the 1911 world, but WAY better looking. I would put it side by side with my $3000 HK any day.

Edit: Nope, it was a Scheumann barrel.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I've got 3 of 'em. All Detonics, all stainless.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 1911....my favorite subject.

I feel that you cannot get a better handgun design out there. The fact that the 1911 has been in active service for around 100 years in the military, LE, and civilian sheepdog arenas say volumes for the quality and design of the weapon. It is one of the most natural pointing semi-autos out there. I recommend you go out and try one to see for yourself. The 1911 is uncomfortable to a few out there (i.e. Silicon Wolverine), but that is usually the exception, not the rule.

The Taurus line of 1911s are great quality, and are very solid shooters. You will not be disappointed in the least.
Alot of good information on here, boy I picked a good topic to bring up huh? I love the POW taurus 1911 btw, I'm in the chained eagles of ohio and they are a motorcycle club that does alot of work for vets and POW/MIA particularly Vietnam and Korea so that gun really stuck out to me. I wish I had time to do more work with them but I'm a truck driver so my time is pretty limited. But I totally agree, it seems there is a preception that 1911's are very dated but to me if something is a good design that can stand the test of time, it doesn't make it any less affective then it was 100 years ago, I've had the chance to spend some range time with a springfield GI 1911, nothing fancy, but it shot GREAT and just fit me really well. This thing was a wore out range gun that I'm sure has been used and abused and it just shot great and fit me real well. NOW granted to Wolverine I haven't had a chance to spend some quality time with a G21 so I might have to do that... I might come away falling in love with Glock... but I know that historically John Browning is known as over all the best gun designer ever and I think the 1911 just proves that.

Very accurate, and outshot my P345 very easily. I am kinda leaning towards a taurus. I've heard that because the frame isn't forged it's a detractor for some people.
For me I'm not sure where the gun is made but I try to buy things made in the US and this is one possable hit for me but it just seems so far that the taurus has a great bang for the buck. Not really a basic striped down 1911 but it's not as pricey as say a springfield or a colt. I'll have to look at the RIA also now to.

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
I've read a lot about the 1911s and I'm getting very interested in acquiring one.
They are well worth it.

People say they aren't safe because they don't have a "traditional" safety, thing is any firearm is unsafe in untrained hands. IMO it's one of the safer pistols, in that is has more than one safety feature, the grip safety, the locking hammer and the fact that it is SAO (single action only).

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Well, I've kinda wanted a .45 for a while. But, I can't really justify another handgun in it's own caliber right now. But, if HP ever DOES come out with a 4595, I'll get that and a ParaOrdinance. Standard 1911's just don't fit in my hand well. The double stack of the Para feels much better to me, and it's still a pseudo-1911.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts