1918 Ithaca/Flues s x s 12 gauge help

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by mrgreen, Feb 21, 2015.

1. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

I have a s x s in OK shape. I have not yet chambered it but from what i have read it has 2.5" chambers.

I am looking at using brass reloads, anybody used these and if so what did you use for powder and shot?

The wood is OK but i would possibly like to replace it but nothing fancy. I am going to duracote the wall hanger but only after i shoot a turkey with it tis spring:D

OH, on the end of the barrels one side looks like it has started to just pull away from the braise. I can gently pull on it and it might move a few thousands, should i be overly worried and if so do i just solder it?

Thanks for any help

2. budman70

budman70 Supporting Member

find a gunsmith to fix it and check it out before shooting

3. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Those old side by sides used soft solder to join the barrels.... if it is starting to let go I would not be shooting it until you have it repaired. Unless you are a competent gunsmith and know how to properly soft solder I would not recommend doing it yourself. I also would not Duracoat it, you will destroy the value of it. The Flues is collectible, here are some values:

Flues Grade 1 12 gauge:

Excellent: $960-$1,470
    Very Good: $660-$720
    Good: $540-$600
    Fair: $390-$500
    Poor: $380

4. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

Please let me know where to sell it for those costs as all i could find was $100 offers. If i could get $200 for it i will ship it today i was told it was a generic wall hanger with no value

I will ask my buddy about soft solder and thank you for the help guys

5. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

OK, i lied it is a 1917 field grade with faded damascus inscription with IC and Mod chokes is fair condition with some dents/dings in the barrel. It does look like i could try to sell it for about $350 but i don't really care about making money on it or its value considering i butchered a hex mosin to make a sniper rifle LOL

Seriously i am just hoping to shoot a turkey with it and restoring it to a new like condition while possibly ruining its real value is not that big a deal to be able to work with a 100 year old gun

OH i also had no remorse butchering a 1909 Argentine mauser either

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

This thread is useless without pictures!

:doh:

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I think Ajole just died a little inside.

8. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I seem to remember someone over on cast boolits reloading for the old shotguns, might be a place to check

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Just a little.:(

On the other hand, someone butchered this 1891 Argy, and I got a nice 7.62X39 bullet launcher for only $100!:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I don't see any butchering.

Did you cut the barrel? Toss the full stock? D&T for a scope?