1st range report with new 45

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by BellaCorse, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Well boys and girls, I finally got an opportunity to run 100 rounds through my new .45JHP. All-in-all, I'm not very impressed. Before anyone nails me to the wall, let me acknowledge that I have no regrets purchasing the gun. For $160USD OTD, it packs a great deal of value in it's beefy package.

It's the packaging that I'm not so happy with. By packaging I mean the physical shape and configuration. This gun is flat-out heavy. Switching from the HP to my S&W MP9 was like jumping out of a bulldozer and into a Corvette. Sure the Corvette is lighter and handles much better, but if it's blowing holes into solid objects you're after, give me the bulldozer anytime.

Besides the weight, the hard plastic grips are uncomfortable (to me at least) and the Phillips screw heads sticking up above the grips does nothing to help with the ergonomic. Also the flat surface at the top of the backstrap and under the tail end of the slide smacks my hand unless I 'choak-up' on the grip a bit.

At 25', the gun shoots fairly straight. I've got to tweak the windage a bit, and I had 3 or 4 FTF due to the WWB rounds 'nosing-up' and not making it into the chamber. This is what concerns me the most as I bought this gun for home protection. Hopefully I'll grow into loving this gun, but for now I can take it or leave it.

[​IMG]

2. I like your simile!

As for the nose-up problem, you may want to tweak your mag lips to bring 'em in a bit. Another potential fix for feed problems is to polish the feed ramp, but try this second as it's more work. And since you mentioned 'nose up' the mag is the first place to look.

There's no doubt that this can be resolved.

3. urotu

urotu Member

I just wrote this in response to another thread where the dude had a .380.

"Like I said, my .380 was good to go, but the .45 was a bit different. It had quite a few FTF/FTE issues from day one. It wouldn't let you get through a mag without something not feeding. I oiled it up real good after the 1st shooting and the more I shot it, the better it got, until around 500 rounds. At 500 or so it just started working every time.

Seemed to me to be the plastic follower not moving freely enough in the mag body, at least with that gun. The more I oiled it up, and worked the spring, the better it got.

Did fine until I loaded a squib, and blew the frame up (ammo failure sucks). That was at about 1200-1500 rounds or so. I sent the gun in, they rebuilt it (see, placed old numbers on new gun), and sent it back with two new magazines.

I had similar issues with the new magazines/gun after getting it back. I worked the spring good, oiled up the inside of the mag bodies and that seemed to work, again. The one mag was solid after about 250 or so, it's around 600 rds maybe. The other took closer to 500 rds, but I'm only around 600 in it now. Hasn't failed in the last two outings though.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say don't get frustrated yet. Run some ammo through it, see how you can help improve it. Had I given up after my first gun blowing up, I wouldn't own two great firearms now. I didn't give up because after break in, that .45 is sweet. Shoots straight, solid and every time."

Like I said there, I had a few issues with my .45 also, and they were nose up with WWB ammo, straight from Wally World. I was sceptical at first also, thought about selling it after the blow up.

I'm still glad I didn't. :D

4. unscarred

unscarred Member

Didn't you handle one before purchasing? At least hold one?

5. unclerob

unclerob Member

Any photos of the KaBoom?

6. For home defense, as long as its dependable, who cares if its a tad on the heavy side or if the grips are different (a lot of people put slide on rubber grips on and have great results)

As long as it saves your life, isnt that what matters?

7. Nope. Pulled it out of the box in front of the salesman and said "Damn this thing is heavy. And friggin' ugly too." But for a $160 OTD, I wasn't expecting a Kimber. I did read a review on the gun before purchasing, so it didn't come as any surprise. I knew I wanted to try out a HP pistol after getting my 995 and I really didn't need another 9mm.

All very well and said -if- the bloody thing actually fires. I prefer not to have a round in the chamber while idle. I might need to rethink that.

8. urotu

urotu Member

No, and I wish I would have taken at least a cell phone shot or something. It was pretty incredible. If the gun hadn't been built as stout as it was, I would probably be missing digits.

It blew the frame completely in half, only held together by the stuck slide.

9. Just my opinion, if I cant trust it to save me, I will get rid of it, and in a HD situation I do not keep any of my weapons with a round in the tube.

I mix in safety with my HD concerns.

If the split second that it takes to rack a slide gets you killed, you were probably screwed anyway.

Put some more rounds through your pistol and the jams should go away.

10. unscarred

unscarred Member

If you handled it and then bought it< why in the h e l l would you come on hear and then b i t c h about it?

11. Lets give him a little time for the big hunk of metal to grow on him like it did the rest of us ;)

12. unscarred

unscarred Member

Sorry, that just doesn't make sense to me.

13. hpman

hpman Guest

Bella,

You might try getting a Hogue handall. The cover up the screw and make the grip much more comfortable. I think they look cool too.

14. Unscared,

Because if public forums like this one are to flourish and actually offer the membership true value, unsurpressed opinions & observations need to be fully expressed without fear of being hung out to dry. If this is going to be just another zealot fan club site, I'll excuse myself now.

Again, I have no regrets buying the gun. Suggestions & opinions regarding aftermarket grips, shooting techniques and home defense protocols is exactly what I was hoping for from my post. Sorry I offended you.

15. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

I have similar feelings towards my C9.

Great value as you have stated but far from the perfect piece.

I had much trouble with mine to start and took much TLC to get it to function properly.

And in similar to your comparison it by all means is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It is more the shooter for every one to enjoy if that be the novice shooter or the seasoned vet.

I perfure my XD by a blind mile but I still rattle of a few threw it when I go shooting.

And no the grip is not the best it is not the most accurate.

I have a hard time believing a few that say it is the most accurate pistol at the range and it out shoots glocks, 1911, ECT ECT.

But it was the best bang for the buck and is simple as they come however a tad difficult on the take down.

So I plead to you Bellacorse please don't let the few opinionated and closed minded offend you. Most members here own many other brands of fire arms.

I feel the main thing that keeps this group together is or thurst for knowledge and the hunt for the bargains and of course well we obviously agree that the hi-point is a value that any gun owner or future owner should capitalize on.

NOW the carbines especialy the 4095. well they are the undiscoverd underrated best kept secret. =)

16. Well sorry to hear the fit didnt cut it for you. There are a few opions you can do to get it alittle more comfy.

I think you are just used to your M&P9. My C9 has become my truck gun due to mine lol. When you go from one of the most comfortable (for me) to the hi point it just isnt fair to the hi point!