1st range trip with the CQZCR

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by planosteve, Jun 5, 2015.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Well the front sight came in last night and I got it mounted. Called the range and they reopened yesterday from the flooding so I was good to go. By the way the range was under 5 feet of water over the weekend so they did a good job getting it ready for me. :D

The CQZCR, Close Quarters Zombie Combat Rifle, is a DPMS Panther 16 in, 1/9, AR-15. I have mounted NCStar folding backup sights and a Vortex Strikefire 2 Red/Green dot on it.

Ammo used was Tula 55gr HP, as the range does not allow FMJ.

I started at 50 yards with the target backing covered in my self printed targets. The Strikefire was 4 inches low and 3 inches to the right after 5 rounds. I adjusted the scope and the next 5 were 1 inch low and dead on for windage. I made another adjustment and it was dead on at 50.

I switched to the irons, they co-host in the bottom 1/3 of the scope. I have never used co-witness sights before so it was a new experience for me. The first 5 rounds with the irons were 2 inches left and 18 inches high. After a couple more 5 round strings I got the windage on but it is still shooting a foot high. I did not have a front sight adjustment tool, and no one else at the range did so I will fix the elevation issue next trip.

So far I have used about 50 rounds and I still had 180 in my bag so I decided to shoot offhand, and sitting with no rest at 50 as all the 100 yard slots were full. At 50 the rifle was keeping the groups at about 1 1/2 inches. I got permission to shoot prone under the bench and the groups dropped to under an inch for 5 shot groups. I used up all the ammo I took to the range with the exception of one mag full in case of an emergency on the drive home. Ya never know when the zombies will strike.

After I packed up the AR I decided that the 06 needed a few rounds down range and as the guy next to me had been shooting a Weatherby 270 mag I got pay back. I only fired 10 rounds as it was 50 yds. First the guy next to me quit shooting and stood back and all 10 rounds were in a group that could be covered with a nickel.

Cleaning the AR was easy but man is the Tula ammo dirty. I did a full cleaning and lube and it is now resting in the closet with 3 loaded mags, it goes in the safe when I am not a home.

So my cheap AR did well. It is probably more accurate than I am. I do like the NCStar backup sights, they are machined steel and aluminum and lock up nice and solid. That was a good $39.98. The Vortex Strikefire 2 was great. Nice and clear, the dots were dots, and adjustment held great. That was a good value at $200 (including Tax). I have just under $600.00 in the DPMS that includes tax and 5 extra mags. So for under $900.00 I am ready for zombies or democrats.

Side note, my 840 rds of M193 in strippers and badaleros came in so along with my 840 rds of M855 and 700 rds of Tula I am catching up with the mole.

2. planosteve

Went to the range again today and finished zeroing the irons and red/green dot on the CQZCR.

The irons are now dialed in to 50/200 zero. See red bull target. Last 3 shots are in the center and I quit at that point. These were at 50 yds

Others are with the Strikefire turned on at 100, these were prone rapid fire (1 full mag in a minute). I like it so far.

Rotate the pics 90 degrees clockwise for correct orientation as I am too lazy to fix the pics.

Attached Files:

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It looks like you are ready for Zompoc, now. That rifle did pretty well by you. I really want to get a 10/22 of my own at some point.

4. planosteve

This is the AR, the TZBB is the 10/22. Here is the family picture.

Attached Files:

5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Oops. I'm getting my acronyms mixed up. I guess I should study more.:p

I really like that TZBB, though.