2 c9 pistols, new to me, which is better?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by buckmeister2, Jul 26, 2015.

1. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member

Hey, folks,

I just joined because I picked up two C9 pistols, both in decent shape, though one is obviously a newer model. I am going to give one to a friend, and want to know if one is more desireable/reliable than the other.

Older one is SN 032XXX. and has pink (used to be orange, I am sure) 3-dot sights. It functions very smoothly, decent trigger, fair overall condition.

The other one is SN P557XX. It has a yellow square front sight, and a hollow circle rear sight (much like a peep) with two pointers on each side, inside the hollow circle. Though it looks like it has had very little use, the slide is hard to pull back, the slide lock lever does not easily engage, and there is rust on the screws and exterior bar on the bolt. I have not taken it apart, and feel there is probably rust on the metal interior parts. The trigger has three holes in it, and is a very heavy pull, maybe 15 pounds at break.

I have not fired them yet, and will likely do so later this week. Since they are so different, I wanted to get some info on both of them from knowledgeable sources.

Thanks for the help!!

Jim, las vegas

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Might not be as old as you think. Alloy or polly frame? Adjustable or fixed rear sights? Smooth or textured finish on slide? Describe trigger please. Pics would help.

Round rear sight is an optional part included with every C-9. Can call HP for an original one. Reason it's so tight is because it's dry and rusty. Give that girl some well needed love.

In the end one isn't any better than the other. It's all preference and condition.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

Neither will ever put your kids thru college or pay for a corvette, they aren't "desireable" or valuable now and wont ever be.
    As for which is more reliable, unless we shoot them, how can we answer that? Only you will know that after you put some rounds thru them both.

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    You say it functions well, but have you actually fired it yet?
    I would not fire the second one, it needs cleaned and oiled! Prolly a "field strip"
    which is a misnomer, because you need a punch to disassemble. But it needs done!
    WELCOME to HPFF!

PS: Nothing like a Talon comment to highlight off the wall posts! :rofl:
    He's actually a Great guy, and our resident AK guru ;)

5. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Hope they work well for you. My C9's run great.

6. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Welcome from Sarahsmom also in Las Vegas and fellow C9 owner! I love mine! (I wish it was like a gremlin and multiply under the bed! :p

7. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member

The one I think is older, with serial 032..., has a smooth frame, U-notch rear two-dot sight, and single dot front sight.

The other (P series SN) has a rough poly frame, and the trigger has 3 holes in it. The thin wire that attaches to the mag release on the inside of the right grip panel is broken, so mag will not stay in. Should this one go back to the factory for a complete run-through (if that is what they would do), so they can take a thorough look at the gun to see what it might need?

jim

8. undeRGRound

INDY
    It's a 50/50 proposition, 50% of the people should send it in, 50% will ask for parts and DIY it... but whatever you do, do it before Aug 1 cuz they are asking for $5 handling when you get warranty parts sent. I'd imagine that holds true for sent in warranty work.

9. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

If your comfortable doing the work yourself, order the parts. If you want to send it in, shop around with your local FFL's. Shipping hand guns back to MoM can be pricey?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  10. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member

You are all being very helpful, and I appreciate.

I stripped 'em both down. The one I think is oldest was clean as a whistle. The one I think is newest ("P" SN), was filthy. They both cleaned up well. Was surprised at how simple they are. The mag wire/spring turned out to be okay. I thought if was broken, but it was not.

The P series pistol operates much smoother now, better trigger, better slide. I have determined, though, that neither mag is worth anything. They do not look the same, so maybe one is aftermarket. Neither are marked with any maker or numbers, etc. I attached some pics in hopes one of you could tell me if either is original. What are your recommendations for after-market mags? I stay away from Pro-Mag, but was else do you recommend for the C9?

thanks for all the help.

Jim

Attached Files:

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

Stick with factory hi point mags. Those both are. The newest ones are stamped with the HP logo. But definitely stick with factory mags.

12. MachoMelvin

P=polymer frame. The other gun you have would be a Model "C". All C9's have polymer frames. The other gun has the serial number stamped on the left side of the frame. The "P" gun has the serial number stamped under the barrel. I would keep the alloy frame for myself, but that's just me?

13. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member

Okay, I do understand the diff in frames, but both guns are clearly stamped C 9. One is stamped "model C 9mm", the other is stamped "Model C9". The first is the alloy frame, and the latter is the poly. I am inclined to go with the alloy, too, but the model designations are a bit confusing.

At any rate, the mags do not chambe cold reliably in either gun. It is not likely they will chamber better under firing conditions, but I will test that theory tomorrow morning.

It looks like the rear sights are not interchangeable among the models, due to a slightly larger dovetail box on the poly model (which is also windage adjustable, whereas the alloy model rear is not) I don't like the peep/pointer site on the poly model, and would prefer to put the two dot rear in place. The front ramp sights appear to be the same. Is there a two-dot rear available for the poly model?

thanks, again, for the help.

14. MachoMelvin

You should be able to call MoM & get a new rear sight at NO charge if yours is missing the original. You have 2 completely different guns. The older Model "C" 9mm alloy frame came out around 1993-94, the C9 polymer model came out about 2000-01. There were several variations that came out between the 2 time frames.

15. cicpup

Vermont
    Shouldn't his model C having adjustable sights put it near the end of the alloy run? Also will you be attempting to purchase it from him?

16. MachoMelvin

Model "C" alloy frame came with both fixed & adjustable rear sights. Yes, the adjustable sights would be the latter version.
    Nope, not interested in his Model "C" black pistol. I have a soft spot for the SHINEY HP's though!

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    Glad it cleaned up OKAY!

Keep the alloy. They do not make those anymore...

18. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member

Great info from all of you. Thanks so much. I was initially inclined to keep the older (alloy) pistol because of how spotless it was internally. The sights have faded to pinkishk-orange, but still look fine. I did not get to fire them today. After I confirm they both work as they should, I will give the poly to my friend.

Thanks for all your help.

Jim

19. cicpup

Vermont
    Paint the sights. Fingernail polish works well.

Keep in mind that if you ever send it in for service you'll probably lose it and gain a new polly C-9. They don't service the alloy ones anymore.