20" 5.56 Scope?

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by TNTRAILERTRASH, Oct 27, 2020.

1. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I run a Nikko Sterling Panamax 3-9x40mm SFP Half Mil Dot 1/4 MOA on the 20" .223 wylde and the extra magnification comes in handy at 600y.

undeRGRound and TNTRAILERTRASH like this.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
  4. Rachgier

@ajole if you're going to bring up SFP vs FFP, you might need to see if;
    A. He knows what you're talking about.
    B. His current knowledge of using a scope, reticle, and ranging capabilities.
    C. His willingness to forget everything he ever knew about how to use a scope.
    D. His comfort level introducing a new shooting mechanic to his repertoire which will increase the likelihood of shooter introduced error.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Do you know anything about this Tremor3 Reticle? Listening to descriptions of what it does are amazing, but it's way above my experience level and maybe not something I'd want w/o some proper background.

6. Rachgier

It's a First Focal Plane MIL system scope with a crap load of hash marks that allows you to not have to range on the fly like you do with a Second Focal Plane scope that is only "true" at one set magnification. FFP scopes keep the reticle at the same size through the full range of magnification but the rifle gets SUPER tiny at low power for close range shots.

As long as you know MIL-math, or are willing to memorize it, you'll be good to go.

I learned how to range and shoot on SFP scopes, so I'm used to treating variable power optics like a fixed while using the scope on low power to search, max power to verify down range conditions and target, "true" power to range and scope.

undeRGRound likes this.
  7. undeRGRound

INDY
    Math is no problem, the only thing was the price on most of these. Nothing I could not afford once I reacquire a day job, but I really need to study up on my current hardware and see if a change from MOA is worth it. Also still have that eye issue, but I found that certain nutritional supplements are having some excellent positive effects! It's a post election project, to be sure. I just need to get my stuff together that is already in house ;)

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That’s what google is for....

9. Rachgier

It's TNT, his Google defaults to querying why whatever he searches for is going to cause TEOTWAWKI.

ajole likes this.
  10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Once he accepts that the world is already ended as we knew it, and is probably beyond help, he can relax and enjoy the ride as we watch the insanity increase.
    Resistance is futile.
    Not that I’m ever going to stop...but I realize it’s a losing effort, I’m just a delaying action. If I can do enough, something good could happen despite all the crap.

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

What happened to the Hubble?

Dubar and undeRGRound like this.
  12. undeRGRound

INDY
    That is for the 'bench rest' gun! Extra Long Range.
    I saw a Colion Noir video, the Tremor 3 is for quick acquisition and adjusting shots.
    I need to learn more about that system, I might want to standardize instead of use
    mil-dot and moa on different platforms.

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

I like the ACSS system from Primary Arms. I just don't get enough range time. Talking to the neighbor and my county turned down a 1500yd range application. I like going to a range in Manchester it goes to 330yds. Its almost 100mi to get there.

14. Rachgier

The ACSS is just a modified BDC reticle.

undeRGRound and ajole like this.
  15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The big red horseshoe does make it easy to find in a hurry...but it's big, not sure how well it would handle precision at 600, although it should put you on target easily enough. Here's the model Trashy was looking at:
    [​IMG]
    In the CQB models, the ACSS looks like this: Good for easy fast use, with some ranging and windage help.

[​IMG]

Here's the one I was teasing him with...busy, busy:

[​IMG]

The Bushnell Deploy MOA...easy windage and holdover:
    [​IMG]

And finally, the BDC on the cheaper Bushnell AR models: Simple.

[​IMG]

undeRGRound likes this.
  16. Rachgier

undeRGRound and ajole like this.
  17. undeRGRound

INDY
    Great info, Guys!
    I really need to see how well the Hubble works for me and then go from there.
    It's possible that I'd have difficulty with the more 'busy' reticles, due to reduced
    eye resolution. I have Glock-Coma ya know :rotfl:

18. TNTRAILERTRASH

Burn a fatty. It will help.

undeRGRound likes this.
  19. Rachgier

You might want to stay with an SFP scope with an illuminated reticle then. The reticle size changes with the magnification in an FFP scope, and can get small enough to be damn near unusable at low power in scopes with a higher top end power.

ajole likes this.
  20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The site is blocking the links to the pics, but check the links to the scope and take a look. The Sig has a heavy post at the edge, should make them easy to see.

Sig Sauer Hellfire reticle.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/sig-sau...-hellfire-quadplex-illuminated-0.25-moa-black

Vortex V-Brite reticle
    https://www.primaryarms.com/vortex-optics-crossfire-2-3-9x40-v-brite-illuminated-reticle

undeRGRound likes this.