20 rd mag?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by cktvt, Jul 28, 2014.

1. cktvt

cktvt Member

I'm still kind of new on the forum but I know that the 10-round mag capacity of the HP carbines is a constant source of irritation. So here's an idea and if this has already been beat to death in another thread I'm sorry a thousand times and will never speak of it again.

Cutting to the chase, why couldn't you take two HP factory mags (45, 40, or 9), cut the top off one and the bottom off the other, fabricate a longer spring (or repurpose one from a different stick mag), weld the two halves together and grind it smooth? Voila - a 20 round stick mag with properly-shaped feed-lips. :confused: Why not?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Are you sure you're really an engineer?..... Metal is pretty much too thin to reliably weld...

3. cktvt

cktvt Member

Well the state just charged me a hundred bucks to renew my license so yeah, I'm pretty sure. Thing is, I'm an EE, not an ME. I was gonna ask my kid the welder, but he's asleep already. I figured it wouldn't take long to find out why it's a bad idea right here on the HP forum. Never a disappointment about that. :rolleyes: Hey what about duct tape? ;)

4. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    The only thing worse than a mechanical engineer designing circuits is a electrical engineer trying to design with springs, gears and hi tech polymers....

5. cktvt

cktvt Member

Now yer just pokin' the bear. :D

6. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

The main issue is a spring that would be reliable and powerful enough for a 20 round stick mag would be expensive and a pain in the ass to load.

7. cktvt

cktvt Member

I'd say don't load it all the way (maybe 18 rounds or whatever) Yeah, I know, it's a compromise, not ideal.

8. Bull

Yeah...... Never been done before.... ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1406605901.201666.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1406605908.199283.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1406605917.015282.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1406605923.931025.jpg

9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Try getting the last round in a 32 round Uzi mag :D

10. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

The 2 ends of the sheet metal are dovetailed together on the mag from the factory. Why couldnt the 2 halves be done something like that? I'm no engineer, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night. Jk

11. cktvt

cktvt Member

But how would you bond the two mating surfaces? And have you been stealing ash trays again?

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Totally different forces, with very significant differences in the amount of stress involved.

Try pulling a wooden bat apart with you fingers. That's how the present dovetails work.

Now smack that bat down full force across the top of a fence post about 5 inches from your hands. Duck, because the end of the bat is coming off.

That's what the joint between two mags will have to deal with.;)

13. cktvt

cktvt Member

Yeah, that why I asked about the bonding. Hey Bull, I've noodled around a little bit on the net and there's all kinds of techniques that can be used separately or in combination for welding sheet steel.

First, use the thinnest wire possible to limit heat, second use inert gas, third use a backing bar (a.k.a. chill bar) to prevent burn-through. I assume the end cap at the bottom of the mag can come off and a bar can be inserted up to a point an inch or so past the joint.

I might skip the curved mating surfaces on the front and back of the mag (too hard to get the backing bar to touch that part) and just weld the two sides. You can also just tack-weld slowly around, with cooling-off breaks to avoid heat buildup. I think a good fabricator/welder might be able to manage it.

If it works I could start my own business Magnificent Magnum Mags :cool: aka 3M :eek: D'oh forget 3M, it's taken.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Oh, it's possible. The trick is, can you do it and keep costs under $60 per mag?

Especially since you are using $34-$40 worth of mags to start with?;)

15. cktvt

cktvt Member

It would never pencil out (and I'm kidding about doing it for profit). But I might try to build myself 2 or 3 of those bad boys.

16. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    I do have one idea for you, if your happy with 15 rounds, buy a ProMag and switch the follower with a HP follower. Or, take two HP mags, go to a muffler shop and ask them to weld the two magazines together, problem would be the spring though. not sure if any other springs would work.

17. Bull

I'm sure it's possible, just not very frickin easy.... Think you'd about be better off fabin' the whole mag body itself.... A one piece bent body.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You know, on the .40 and .45 there is a chunk of metal that doesn't enter the mag well, covered by the battery pack base.

If you sleeved the joint, right up to the point where it almost touches the mag well, and down as far as needed, it might be enough.

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

You guys ever play with 33rd Glock mags? You can get long stiff springs from these guys. I have some 32rd 9mm Promags with wimpy factory springs. They work perfect now with the 5% stiffer than Glock factory springs.

Bed time. I can check how they compare is size to the stock JHP 45 mags tomorrow if you remind me. Glock also has 20 or 22rd factory .40 mags (?) I forgot and not gonna open the safe tonight. So those springs might work too.

20. cktvt

cktvt Member

MOM is now saying she's busy designing a high-cap mag - ya'll think it's real or vaporware?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014