2018 Federal Bill That Infringes the Second Amendment

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by 1024Megabytes, May 15, 2018.

1. 1024Megabytes

1024Megabytes Member

Sources inside the United States Senate are now telling us that we may not have seen the last gun control measure to be considered this year. At a time when Chuck Schumer and his followers are trying to force consideration of a particularly bad piece of legislation.

That bill, S. 2607, would attempt to force every state to adopt gun confiscation measures. Gun Confiscation Orders are sometimes sugar-coated as “red-flag laws” or “extreme risk protection orders.”

These proposals are nothing more nor less than efforts to strip Americans of their Second Amendment rights through court proceedings in which the gun owner is barred from participation.

Under this Rubio-Nelson legislation, the police or an angry former spouse could convene an Orwellian secret hearing to strip you of your constitutional rights without giving you a chance to be heard -- in what is otherwise known as an ex parte hearing.

The secret hearing would likely find you guilty not by a standard of beyond a reasonable doubt or not because there was probable cause to believe you had committed a crime.

The organization Gun Owners of America have had some experience with these star-chamber proceedings in which only the accuser is in the room. In those cases, the judge almost always issues the order. And, incidentally, the bill strips state courts of all discretion about whether they can decline to take away your rights.

In a study of Gun Confiscation Orders in Seattle, Washington, the court granted 28 of 29 applications that were filed. A Massachusetts legislator stated, with respect to much more limited domestic violence ex parte orders (where only the accuser is represented) that the courts don't ask "many questions.”

The first time a gun owner may learn about the proceedings is when police, that normally serve high risk arrest warrants for violent criminals, arrive at his door to immediately seize his previously lawfully-owned firearms.

After a fixed number of days, S. 2607 allows you to spend possibly $10,000 or more for attorneys and expert witnesses -- in an effort to convince a court that it made a mistake in confiscating their firearms.

If you look at the specifics of S. 2607, paragraph-by-paragraph, it is very similar to bills being proposed in state capitals. The organization Gun Owners of America believes there is every indication that the language of this bill originated in the backroom of Michael Bloomberg's offices.

We saw with the Second Amendment infringements in the Fix N.I.C.S. language that when it was stalled in Congress, the Republican leadership attached it to the must-pass omnibus spending bill (which passed in March 2018). The next must-pass spending bill will be voted on before October 1 2018.

Gun owners need to let their Senators know how bad this bill is, or there is a chance that we may receive yet another infringment of our liberties in September.

So please contact your Senators to oppose S. 2607 in all forms, whether as a stand alone bill or as an amendment to a larger bill.

https://cqrcengage.com/gunowners/home?0

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. 1024Megabytes

1024Megabytes Member

I need to call my Senators on this bill to inform them about it, but I already sent them an e-mail. I know how Senator Mike Lee will stand on this but I do not know about Orrin Hatch.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

This reads like an article or press release. Did you write it? If not, please properly attribute it. Thanks.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk [Moderator Duties]

FlashBang likes this.
  4. 1024Megabytes

1024Megabytes Member

Just called Senator Hatch's office. I asked the operator who answered to tell him to vote no on S. 2607. I urge everyone else to do the same.

5. Edknn

Edknn Supporting Member

My 2 Democratic senators are most likely leading the charge on this bill. They need to go.

eldarbeast likes this.