22 lr reloading

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by mr_flintstone, Sep 1, 2015.

1. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

I debated on whether to post this here or in the survival zone. I guess here works. Has anyone ever used one of these? It says you can reload 22 lr using your own lead and powder. It doesn't seem to be a very quick method, but it looks interesting.

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

If you come clean up my range, you could probably grab enough empty casings to become independantly wealthy.

3. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I was just about to post on the same thing. My local LGS just got them in.

What I find interesting is that the actual directions on how to do it aren't available unless you buy the package; or I didn't see them. Looks like it uses the striker match heads for the igniter. And it has to be time consuming....maybe when I retire.

I wonder what powder you would use?

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I emailed them, for availability.
    SAME Day Shipping, they are in stock.
    Looks quite doable, but time consuming.
    Good to have on hand for SHTF, maybe...

5. undeRGRound

INDY
    I watched all the videos, it was a common powder, but I do not remember!
    Maybe they took the vids down, because you could DIY it w/o their kit :eek:

DUH, it was common Black Powder. :p

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxh6cvWk09g[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  6. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

can you actually reload a brass that has already been dented from firing pin or is this new brass only?

same here, i have so much 22lr casings laying aroundi t's basically like gravel. I pick up everything but the 22lr which is obviously the most plentiful to begin with.

7. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

I read on another website that people used to straighten the brass that was dented by the firing pin with an upside down finishing nail and small hammer. I imagine the cleaning/priming tool is used for this. Even if you don't straighten it, though, you can reuse it (assuming the firing pin doesn't strike the same place on the rim).

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I know that some high accuracy shooters would get loaded .22LR, then pull the load and replace the charge and bullet with their own.

I also think (believe) that I recall reading once, a long long time ago, that primed-but-not-loaded .22LR brass could be purchased and then loaded. I have had limited success finding references to that, however. What I've found appears to have been loaded cartridges which someone pulled the bullet & powder, then sold the primed brass.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    I read of being able to buy primed new 22 lr brass...

Rippy, this is using dented brass. I asked. They said it's about a 1 in 50 chance of hitting
    the same strike again. Also said the brass would be compromised if straightened out. K?

10. rippinryno

so on top of the less than 100% reliable rimfire 22lr, you get a greater chance of failure to add on top of that. I don't believe 1 in 50 chance either, i'd say it's much more frequent. i have to believe that an already dented brass would cause all sorts of issues. have you ever looked closely, especially with square firing pins. The rim usually gets damaged which could cause feed and extractor issues. REusing 22lr brass seems......well.....dumb. in dire need, this may be an option, but at this point i don't believe it's worth the trouble.

11. lsi1

lsi1 Member

I just asked you about this in your thread about your jc 40 having a stopage you had said that 22lr kicked as hard as a 500 in a revolver. I asked you where you got your 22lr. You said you reloaded it.

I then asked you if it was one of these kits to which i got no response.

12. rippinryno

surely you realize i was joking....
    the first sign should have been when i said i reloaded 22lr. the 2nd sign should have been when i said it kicked like a 500 revolver. lol.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

He was poking fun at himself, working at fitting in with the free-spirited, happy-go-lucky, douche-bags here who, like pit-bulls, once they get an embarrassing topic in their teeth, never let go. ;)

Rippy made a foolish statement earlier about the felt recoil of a particular caliber cartridge when fired from a particular platform and he got crap for it for days. Some here still slip a not-too-subtle jab in referencing it from time to time.

To his credit, Rippy has been taking those jabs with remarkable good grace and humor, occasionally slipping a return jab which the pit-bulls accept as mere pack-play and thence return to chewing on rawhide bones and chasing (parked) cars.

In other words, "it's all good, man." :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. rippinryno

^^^what he said.

but really onto re using the 22lr brass. I just see all sorts of trouble i'm amazed it can even be ventured. Even if you don't strike the primer in the same spot, what if your extractor tries to extract in the old dent? 22's are picky enough, i just think these would fail relentlessly

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Only one way to know for sure.

A batch of 1,000 should be enough for a statistical analyses.

16. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I think one difference would be a semi-auto vs manual loaded??? My understanding and experience is that .22s are less reliable in a semi-auto.

I just wonder about the cost effectiveness personally. Now that .22 is starting to come back in sores, is it worth it?

17. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Where I see something like this fitting in would be as part of your survival kit.
    In the event .22LR was not available, you could reload expended rounds. To eliminate any issue with feeding, one would simply use them in their single shot or bolt action rifle instead of a semi. I look at things like this as I do auto insurance, hopefully I never need it, but if I do it's awful nice to have it available to me. ;)

Keep in mind that in a SHTF scenario, if you have the ability to reload .22LR, you can trade your skills and abilities to others who cannot reload it. :)

That company also has the primer mixture now available so you don't need to use match heads. I'd buy a bunch of those packs and seal them into an airtight container with a few O2 absorption packs.

18. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Now why do you have to go and give pit bulls a bad name by lumping them in with these martians? At least my pits let go when I growl at them....

19. Vihtavuori came up with 3n37 for 22 long rifle. IMR 800-x and WAP are about the same burn rate.

Non-corrosive primer mix for 22 rimfire is easy and safe to make with readily available chemicals. It isn't even an explosive until after it is in the case and dry. We were ban from posting details about mixes on this forum some time ago.

If you dig thru the archive here, you should find how to make you're own corrosive primer mix that would cost only about $0.80 per 1,000 rounds. As @ one time this forum was the goto place for DIY primers.

I don't know if it is ok to post a link to making these, but a duckduckgo search with obvious input will find what you need.

If you want to do very many rounds, anneal the cases and derim them like the guys do when the use 22 rf cases for swaging .224 bullets. Then rehead the the case and you'll have case without a dent in it.

20. From time to time batches of primed 22 lr brass is available. I think the last big bunch that was sold was made by Armscor and imported by them.

Also 3-4 years ago a well heeled guy here in town was having a batch of primed 22 short brass made. This was for making flangable(mis spelled I sure) gallery rounds for his restored carny gallery. I've never asked him if he never was able to get them made.