.223 Reloads

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by IndianasFinest, Feb 8, 2008.

1. I think most people enjoyed my previous post "Bullet Casting Photos" so I decided to put this out for everyone to see. Freshly reloaded .223 with cast, and FMJ bullets.

These are the FMJ rounds. All of my brass is either Lake City or Remington. The FMJ bullets are military surplus from back when you could actually find them :( that my uncle has stock piled. I pay him .05 each for my personal reloads. I use BLC-2 powder, and CCI primers. Total cost per round reusing my brass is about .08 cents !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are cast rounds using recycled lead from work. Unfortunetly we only have a single cavity mold for .223 so it does take some time to mass produce these. If anybody knows if they make a 6 cavity mold for .223, and can give me some info I would greatly appreicate it !! We load these with IMR powder and gas checks. This slows the FPS down on .223 by about 800 fps which decreases your ability to keep tight groups at over 100 yards, but performs flawlessy at around 75 yards which is where I do most of my range shooting. Total cost per round around .03 cents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bullets look great bro!!!!!

One note I dont think the Admins want people putting powder weights on the open forum. Just so you know.

Nic

3. .223 is one caliber I never even tried to reload for, course it used to be dirt cheap when I had a .223 rifle so it was not worth the effort to reload for back then.

4. If you've got any good noob friendly load data for Remington Brass w. 55 grain jacketed bullets, I'd love a PM :)

I am in the process of sorting through my Lee Anniversary kit and sorting out a reloading area of my man-cave.

5. NC,
    I am a newbie reloader (less than 1 year). My suggestion is to pick up a copy of "Modern Reloading, Second Edition" by Richard Lee. It is full of reloading info for someone new to the hobby. Yes, it is somewhat of an ad for Lee products but the price is right and it helped me a lot.
    The reloading tables for each caliber and charge are worth the price alone. IMHO

6. I decided tonight to expedite my purchase of .223 reloading after paying $8 per 20 rounds of remington UMC. Man was I ticked, but gotta do what I gotta do to get ammo for the weekend.

7. Taurus,

Are you going to be shooting 223 in a bolt-action rifle or a semi-automatic? If you're shooting an AR-15 type rifle, it is recommended that you full-length resize your brass with each loading to ensure proper jam-free feeding of the rounds. The Lee Pacesetter dies are great for this application, and the Pacesetter dies include the Factory Crimp die.

If you're loading for a bolt-action or single-shot rifle, then the Lee Deluxe collet die set is the way to go. When the brass is shot in the rifle and intended to be used just for that rifle, then neck-sizing is all that is needed. The biggest advantage I see to this is not having to lube the cases before sizing the necks. This can make reloading quicker and easier. Unfortunately the collet die set offers no capabilities for crimping the bullets in place, so if you decide to go the collet die route, then I strongly suggest also purchasing the FCD separately.

wizard93

8. It will be for the AR. Is the Pacesetter carbide dies? I prefer to use carbides as that's all I have ever used to avoid all the case lubing crap.

9. I believe you still need to lube your cases with carbide dies when reloading bottle-necked rifle cases. It'd really be a shame if on the first round pressed you got a case stuck...

10. Well the Lee's dies are designed sop that you can remove a stuck case pretty easily, so I've read and hear. I have only had one situation with a stuck case and that was when my father in law forgot to lube a case in a regular die set and it took both of us pulling with pliars to remove it.

11. Ari

Ari Guest

I have been collet sizing on my 30-06 for my M1 (many say that it needs full length sizing) and that has been working for me. Though I have not reloaded for an AR. I also really like the FCD..

12. I just got my .223 Lee dies tonight. I can't wait to get started on it.

13. Indiana's Finest,
    I got into this discussion a bit late but what is the approx. highest velocity you can fire the cast bullets without them disintegrating. If you would, please PM your cartridge recipe.

14. The Pacesetter dies are steel, not carbide. Case lube must be used on the cases prior to resizing. I like lubing the inside of the case necks with a Q-Tip. That makes it very fast and easy, and the expander pulls through so much easier.

Neck sizing CAN work okay for semi-autos, but even Lee advises that cases be full-length resized to ensure reliable feeding. I'd hate to see someone jam up their semi-auto with neck-sized ammo during a SHTF situation.

What's weird, my M38 Mosin-Nagant actually shoots more accurately with full-length sized brass. Isn't that kinda against the accuracy grain? Also, ALL of my rifles shoot tighter groups when the bullets are crimped with the Lee Factory Crimp die. Every gun is a trial-and-error to see what it likes best.

wizard93