.223 Remington Reduced Charge

Discussion in 'Rifle Cartridge Data' started by lklawson, Feb 26, 2016.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Powder: Hodgdon H4895
    Powder Charge: 22 grains (1.6 cc)
    Bullet: 55 grain SPR SP
    COL: 2.20"

This is a reduced charge. According to Hodgdon, this is safe. Hodgdon states that H4895 can safely be reduced up to 40% from the Max load. That means that Hodgdon advises that loads down to 15.6 in 55gr spr sp .223 Rem. is safe.

I have found this load to be accurate, especially at closer ranges, and clean burning. It cycled my S&W AR with 100% reliability. This is a good load for training new shooters or for stretching powder out for plinking reloads.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  2. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing! Any idea on the velocity for this load? Now the hardest part... Finding 4895!

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have these shooting good now. 55 grain Bator bullet pushed by Unique. Basically duplicates the 22WCF. Going to be using it on groundhogs this year. Won't cycle the MSR, single shot only, but these are intended for my Handi Rifle.

Attached Files:

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    At what range would the ballistics change substantially?
    I mean, to the point you need to adjust your sights...

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Depends on how well you shoot. :rofl:

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

3264 according to the chart.

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

MSR? Mole Sniper Rifle? He doesn't even cycle it. He just stares at it out in his shop. ;)

8. undeRGRound

INDY
    I meant the range at which you would have to quit relying on
    KENTUCKY WINDAGE i

That would be the full power load, not the 60% load, as 3200 FPS range
    is a near max velocity for a 55 gr in a long barrel. 'Twould be SWEEET
    if it was! :D Better look again, KLAWSON, or it's a typo. MONEY!
    (means I'd bet on it) :D

:mad:

Attached Files:

9. greg_r

Not too reduced. :confused: I was wondering about the velocity. My Bator's are moving along at a leisurely 1800 fps.

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I stumbled across it by accident, sort of. The Lee dies come with a 1.6 cc dipper. They also have charts for many of the common rifle powders. The powder is listed but it turns out 1.6 cc's is a reduced charge according to Hodgdon. The Lee chart claims that velocity. I will double check.

(mobile)

11. undeRGRound

INDY
    Compelling load, either way. 22 gr is lower than anything I have seen
    for a .223 (most start around 25 gr iirc) and a good practice load
    need not be "1000 yard capable" when you practice at 100 yards! :eek:
    I bet these would be great out to 100 yards w/o adjusting
    sights or scopes, at a guess. ;)

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Okay, I double checked. First off I should let you know that the velocity I quoted was actually for benchmark, not h4895. The velocity for h4895 is actually about 100 feet per second faster. However I think that it is probably the max charge velocity. I really don't know what this charge would give in velocity. However I can say that it's shot very well and very accurately for me.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

13. The fps would be about 2500 fps +-100. Depending on the various variables of reloading detail, gun, temp, etc.

Thanks for the tip on this. Hard to beat an accurate lower pressure round for practice.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I suppose that if I go very far in this reloading hobby, I'm going to have to invest in a chrony. But I'm cheap. :D

Hodgdon claims that H4895 "...ignites uniformly in reduced charges." My experience with this particular load (which I admit that I stumbled on) seems to confirm this claim.

I think that I will, personally, use this particular load with my remaining FMJ bullets but bump up my charge to the published range for my JSP. That should give me the advantage of a quicker Break Even and following ROI. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So based on the calculated velocity which Perotter supplied (thanks again!), I ran it through a ballistics calculator at gundata.org

Green is 55gr at 2500 fps, blue is 55gr at 3240 fps (roughly the standard vel.)

This gives us calculated bullet drop, and therefore adjustment estimates at listed ranges, which step in 50 yard increments. At 100 yards, the bullet drop for the 2500 fps is 0.0026 and the bullet drop for the 3240 fps is 0.004. Differences in bullet drop don't start becoming really apparent until after the 100 yard mark. We see there's a tad over one inch difference in bullet drop at 200 yards, which is where some of you are good enough shots to notice the difference. Where the difference really is apparent is the columns on the right; energy on target and time to target. The 2500 fps load, while hitting at more or less the same point at 100 yards, has only about half the energy and it takes nearly 1/3 longer to hit the target. This means more time for wind to drift the bullet off path and, less "killing potential" when it finally does hit. On the other hand, the time difference is a whole 30 MILLISECONDS, which really isn't all that much so wind drift should be minimal unless you're shooting in a hurricane. And the energy on target? 100 yard plinking loads.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Just a note on this, for having only a little more than half the ME, I really didn't find any noticeable difference in felt recoil. Felt about the same when bumping into my shoulder and the buffer still made the same sproing noise. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. AR recoil?:eek:

I can see a reduced load for small game, or even for cast bullets to prevent leading. But rifling twist has a sweet spot, handloaders keep records in part for the search for that sweet spot. Reduced is not something I would chance with a jacketed bullet which if a load got short changed could lodge in the barrel. Density of powder, and case volume can affect pressure tremendously. 40% of any powder IMO is pushing it. If the primer sends the bullet from the case before the powder ignites, it will result in a squib. With reduced recoil that may not be noticed, next bullet may function normally ringing the barrel.

Low recoil is why God created 22lr on the seventh day.

ETA I forgot the AR is gas fed so a squib probably would not cycle the bolt. But clearing it would still be a PITA.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Exactly. Stoner knew what he was doing, I guess. :)

A 25 gr. load of H4895 (min. listed load) fills the case of the .223 up to the shoulder. 26 gr. (max) looks like it touches the bottom of the bullet when seated. A 22 gr. load of H4895 fills the .223 case most of the way. It would be hard to visually miss large differences.

Hodgdon claims that it's safe and that the powder ignites very uniformly.

I could clearly feel the recoil. I just couldn't tell the difference in recoil between these, factory loads, or the reloads I built using Benchmark. The recoil felt the same to me for all.

Comfortable recoil is the only reason I went to an AR. "Real Men's Rifles" beat my shoulder up too bad and I had decided to only shoot .22LR and stuck with that for years. But after a friend shamed me into shooting his AR10 in .308, I had to reevaluate the platform.

No more or less than any other squib.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. greg_r

Memories. Parris Island. I'm finally going to get to really shoot one of Uncle Sam's big bad battle rifles. I take aim, squeezing the trigger and..."BOING"... What the he!!? Sounds just like the Daisy Red Ryder! :eek::eek::eek: