.22LR for longer range practice

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by ArmyRover, Feb 4, 2018.

1. ArmyRover

ArmyRover Supporting Member

So after sitting and plinking longer distances with my daughter last weekend with old Winchester 72 bolt action. I decided I would like to get something to do that kind of shooting with in a .22lr.

So what would you guys use? Semi auto like a built up 10/22? Ruger American/Precision, CZ, or savage?

I really like the "warranty" of the Ruger of course, but that is not a deal breaker on any option that is good.

I could keep using the old winchester and just drill some holes in it for a scope mount but it seems rude to such a good old rifle that is nicely worn in.

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I'm not allowed to participate in the types of threads because Ajole loves to point out that my 10/22 cost around $1,000 to get it to where it is, even though I only paid $600 for it in it's current condition.

3. Pistolkitty

Pistolkitty Supporting Member

Old school ruger 10/22 carbine with leupold. Sorry no feet. I cropped it out of a photo of all my guns because I don't feel like going up and pulling it out for a fresh photo. PicsArt_02-04-04.20.51.jpg

Jhow79 and Browning 9 Guy like this.
  4. I thought the 10-22 didn't have a very accurate barrel? o_O

5. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Budget?
    Henry Goldenboy?

6. Rachgier

Meh. I've got a picture floating around here somewhere of my 10/22 Target with 10 of 10 in a 1" group at 100 yards.

7. ArmyRover

Bscar for the base rifle $4-500. I don't want to enter competitions here just enjoy shooting .22 for distance.

I have to admit I was considering bolt actions more so as working the action was really satisfying.

If a 10/22 is a good answer though that is as cheap as it comes.

Hadn't thought about the Henry Rifles the standard .22 LR is a nice rifle at a reasonable price

8. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

10/22 upgrade the barrel, free float it, bed the action yourself... get a used 10/22 for $125 to do it! Upgrade the trigger... speaking of, has anyone tried Rugers trigger upgrade for the 10/22?

9. Bull barrel?

10. Rachgier

11. histed

histed Supporting Member

[​IMG]

There ya go, PK. Now its legal

Pistolkitty likes this.
  12. ArmyRover

13. Pistolkitty

Pistolkitty Supporting Member

What???? Not these from you??? PicsArt_02-04-05.37.00.jpg

histed, sarahsmom and adam01364 like this.
  14. Cynical

Cynical Member

Marlin 795 is cheap and accurate.

eldarbeast likes this.
  15. cldarnell

cldarnell Collector Member

I have been reading about the Savage Mark II-VB. I think one will find it's way into my safe sooner or later ;)

Nice "reach out and touch something" .22 shooter for about $400 without the scope (photo isn't mine):

[​IMG]

16. Rachgier

I have that in .17hmr. It's a dream to shoot and extremely accurate/consistent.
    [​IMG]

planosteve and Jhow79 like this.
  17. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Damn nice set of stompers there histed. Look a bit girlish for ya, but what ever nowadays. But cmon, give up the nail paint. :D:D:D:D:D:D

histed likes this.
  18. ArmyRover

I wonder how the savage compares to the Ruger American or Precision?

19. Jhow79

Jhow79 Supporting Member

Savage Mark II TTR-SRR or a Browning T-Bolt target. I have the T-Bolt and it is a pleasure to shoot right out of the box, my pops just got himself the TTR-SRR and I must say it is damm accurate, very nice. I prefer a wooden stock myself.

daveindenver likes this.
  20. Just got done watching .22Plinkster The new Ruger precision is $399-$450