.22LR Gossip

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by lklawson, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Okay, time for some gossip about 22's. This is the classic friend of a friend word of mouth so take it with a large helping of salt. A friend of mine reports to me that he was discussing the shortage of 22's with an industry insider. He reports that the reason 22's have been so scarce is that there is only one manufacturer for the liquid primer and much of their product had been diverted to some other project. However that project is reportedly now finished and they can return their liquid primer product to manufacturer of 22's. So, the rumor now is, that 22's should be returning to the market in force very soon.

Take it for what its worth which probably isn't much.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

2. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    That's as good an theory as any other I've heard.

The reality is that there are 3.5 Billion .22lr rounds made in a year. There are between 20-40 million .22lr firearms in the US. That boils down to about 100 rounds for each firearm.

When I go to the range, I use my yearly allocation and that of several other people. And I use it in about 10 minutes....

3. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

What I've seen on various gun mag sites and their youtube channels is that .22lr simply is a low priority round for ammo makers due to low margin on it, the only real reason there is a shortage is thanks to hourders and people dumping it at the ranges like never before.

4. Also take this for what its worth....NOTHING other than a gleaming beacon of hope?

I was at walmart the other day and saw 4 shelves empty. Which i have not seen since the 22 sacre. Why? beacuse they started filling all the spots for 22 with other various things like shot gun ammo, and knives.

but yesterday there were 4 full shelves blank with the various types of 22LR tags. CCI, Win. Rem. Armscore. bunches of them.

When i saw that i thought "maybe they are preparing to get some serious stock in!?!?!? could it be!?"

And then i remembered, "you can wish in one hand and sh*t in the other" But i can still hope.

5. Our walmart does not put 22lr on the shelf, they keep it hidden and you must ask for it.

6. SWO1

SWO1 Member

The Wallies did that quite a while ago around her. Also reported on Rim Fire Forums over 6-8 months ago across the country. Yes the shelf space is there, tagged ......AND STILL EMPTY. LGS in the area have had it for quite a while now, and lots to be had on Internet. Is the price a little higher, Yes. And I believe will be from now on. I would forget Wal-Mart for the most part. They can no longer offer LARGE VOLUMES of sales because Large volume is enjoyed by EVERYONE now, at full retail profit. I cant believe that China hasnt started makeing a Gazillon rounds every day and Walmart importing it for $1.98 a brick. Get off your wallet and get the better stuff anyway. The US is ranked with 3rd World Countries for .22 ammo quality. Germany, England, and yes even Mexico makes better stuff.

If youre looking for a lot of noise, smell of burning powder go to a fireworks store and get a brick (10,000) firecrackers and LIGHT EM UP. Stuff em in beer cans, milk jugs or tape them to a target. Its cheaper and just as fun .... :D

7. I have a feeling most people would disagree. ;)
    otherwise the demand for the cheap stuff wouldnt be there. As the High quality target/ match has been available the whole time.

Guess what for 90% of people Golden rifle is plenty accurate, and plenty of fun.

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    No offense to Bro. Kirk at all, but the theory does not square with the things I have read that seem to fit the circumstances we can verify for sure. We know that all the big retailers get a "seeming" small shipment with lots more buyers. I read from a mfg. interview that they have increased production but sales have outstripped supply. The "primer availability theory" is opposed to these "facts".
    So I'm not sure which is true, could be BOTH, meaning that supply was increased as much as possible but we hit the limit on liquid primer? Hopefully :D

9. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Plus it would be quite stupid for them to actually ramp up production to meet the demand, all of the space, machinery and personel they would have to invest in would be huge. If they met that capacity the hoarders wouldn't be sitting on walmart.com all day except to run to the store with the family to pick up each one's limit when shows in stock, eventually sales would slow down knowing it could be had at any time...then they'd be on the hook for all that investment.

10. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Not necessarily. A chip carrier manufacturing company I used to work for did it's main production runs on 1st and 2nd shifts. I worked 3rd shift with a skeleton crew and what we handled was specialty runs for Lockheed Martin and large panel (3'x3') phoenix boards for the TSA full body scanners, just to name a couple. Instead of having overtime, adding new laser drills, and increasing personnel when we needed to up production, they simply kicked 3rd shift in to gear and we operated multiple tools letting the long jobs run with minor supervision and ran the "fast" jobs to set up 1st and 2nd shift.

It wouldn't be hard for an ammunition manufacturer to do something similar. As long as they can manage the mandatory down time for service and batch testing, I don't see why they couldn't boost production somewhat without a massive investment in tooling, machinery, and manpower.

11. Sooner or later the demand will drop down, sooner or later the hoarders are going to get stuck with massive amounts of ammo. Lack of 22 ammo has kept the price of rimfire guns down, I assume because they are not selling as well as centerfire arms. More and more smaller manufacturers are stepping into the ring for centerfire ammo. IMO this will force the big names to produce more 22 to keep control of the market. 22 loyalty will keep most buying big name centerfire ammo.

12. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Amazingly enough, NY of all places is seeing plenty of .22 in my AO. There are people all over FB trying to dump their stash and getting stomped on left and right for asking too much. You can't sell your stash around here for anything over .08 - .09/per anymore. Even that is high for the rest of you guys, but there for a while the best you could get around here was .11-13 unless you had an "in" with an LGS.

13. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I am a AMMO HOARDER, I confess!
    I have maybe 8500-9000 rds. I would buy another 20K if & when I find it @ a reasonable price. I still believe that if & when the stock market crashes the 22 LR will be the next dollar. But hey, that's just me!

14. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I have seen CCI Mini-Mags on the PSA sight for $11.99 per 100-round box for the last couple of days. That's $60 for a full box of 500 (I can't call a bundle of plastic boxes a brick), which is much cheaper than Mini-Mags have been in awhile. The fact that it lasted for more than a day is quite telling.

It indicates, to me, that the hoarders have accumulated enough to feel safe and that the regular shooters are beginning to match their consumption and resupply rates.

15. lsi1

lsi1 Member

my wife found 1000 rounds last july that was the last brick i found anywhere.

16. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

The local Wal-Mart and Fleet Farm had their first supplies of .22 in a month over the weekend. I hope it's an indicator of more to come, but don't bet on it.

17. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

You're forgetting that there's been an influx of new shooters as well. What do we typically recommend for new shooters? A .22lr pistol or rifle. Add in your hoarders, preppers, and gougers, and you're gonna be going through the inventory rather quickly.
    And, thanks to this shortage/panic buy, you've created a catch 22 on .22lr. People snatch up .22lr whenever they see it, which drains supply for others, who cuss out the people who are getting it before they are. Those people then watch for shipments coming in and try to beat the H/P/G teams and the casual buyers to the store to get some for themselves.

18. jcwit

jcwit Member

8500-9000 rounds??????LOL

My last inventory was just shy of 40,000 rounds and all of it was purchased long before anyone ever heard of our present administration.

All purchased on sale simply because it was so cheap, $8.00 or $12.00 a brick.

I've done much the same with motor oil, when Menards has a sale on it and they want to give me a rebate for what it cost, hey FREE is FREE.

BTW, I haven't bought any .22's in 15 years.

19. As far as starting gossip which was original main intent. "YA DONE GOOD!"

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
  20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

They would but Bill Clitton banned import of Chinese ammo & guns back in 1994.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.