Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a savage arms 22lr semi, with 10 rd mag, it jams everyother round it doesnt stove pipe but it either fals to eject of it pushes the round up and makes the head of the round catch and then wont feed

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
What kind of ammo are you using? I have a Savage bolt action and it doesn't like any hollow points other than CCI. CCI Mini Mags and Remington Thunderbolts seem to work the best so that's what I normally shoot out of mine.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Don't use hollowpoints.

Try some solid round nose bullets and see if they will work.

My Ruger 22/45 pistol will ONLY handle round nose non-hollowpoint bullets OR federal bulk pack from Wally World (which are hollowpoints).

The Federal bulk pack hollow point is very pointed, not nearly as flat as say most hollowpoint rounds. What happens is that when rounds feed into the gun, the flat hollowpoint nails the feed ramp and jams. Round nose will slide up the ramp without the flat nose hitting the ramp and jamming.

Try round nose bullets and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
First off...

Disassemble the rifle and give it a GOOD cleaning, prior to reassembly apply a VERY LIGHT lube on the bolt. Some times the built up crud in a rimfires receiver & extractor can cause all sorts of reliability issues, specifically the failure to extract and nose high jam.

I try and run my .22 semi-auto's with as little lube as possible inside the receiver, this way the fouling does not get caked up and cause me feeding issues. I use Rem Oil or Ballistol in my rimfires, both are a very light oil and does not much up like Outers and Break Free does when mixed with the fouling from expended rounds.

Second...

Get a couple different brands of ammo, CCI Mini Mags seem to be a good universal round when it comes to feed reliability in semi-auto's, hit the range with your clean rifle and see what happens. Rimfires are the most ammo sensitive guns on the market so you have to do real world ammo testing to see what your individual guns prefers. If this seems like too much trouble then perhaps .22's are not your cup o tea.

If the above did not clear the problems up you should consider replacing the magazine (around $15 at Wal Mart) this should fix the jamming issue. For the extraction issue you will need to order a new extractor and spring from Savage Arms, while you are at it order a new ejector as well and replace both parts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with the above sentiments - semi auto .22lr's generally seem to have issues with hollowpoints cartridges. CCI minimags are highly recommended.

·
Registered
70 Posts
polishing the feed ramp can work wonders on a 22lr with feed problems. I've had 1 22lr pistol and 2 rifles with very similar issues he the pistol and one rifle professionally done and took the dremel polishing tip to the other all feed all feed very well now.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
polishing the feed ramp can work wonders on a 22lr with feed problems. I've had 1 22lr pistol and 2 rifles with very similar issues he the pistol and one rifle professionally done and took the dremel polishing tip to the other all feed all feed very well now.

I have a Mk lll 22/45 that had feed probs during the break-in period. Nose down - failure to feed (Federal bulk). Buffed the ramp and used Break-Free CLP. No more probs.

·
Banned
1,412 Posts
I have one of the Savage Semi Autos with the 10 round mag too. Similar thing happened with mine. A good cleaning should take care of it with the light oil like Rimfire mentioned. Mine only had issues when it was below 40 F.

Good cleaning and no more issues. BTW I have been using the Federal bulk hollow points with no issues.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
hey i have a savage arms 22lr semi, with 10 rd mag, it jams everyother round it doesnt stove pipe but it either fals to eject of it pushes the round up and makes the head of the round catch and then wont feed
If its the model 64 good luck I had one that did it all FTF,FTE, mangled ammo, light strikes etc... I just sold it and used the money to buy an AK.

I hope you can get yours working.

·
Registered
367 Posts
ive had my 22's do that and all it was is that it needed a good cleaning did it suddenly start?also did you buy it new or used?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a NEW model 62 from Wally World Mid January , an its been a JAMOMATIC , cleaned it , stripped it , bought 6 more mags , NOTHING helps.
ii got Pissed off and sent it back to Savage to sort out , ill get it back Tomorrow "SUPPOSEDILY FIXED" we shall see ill call it fixed when its got 300 rounds through it without it hanging up every other shot !
They have changed a load of parts i,m told , Complete Bolt Assembly etc
i,m VERY VERY SKEPTICAL if it will work , and plan on getting a Ruger 1022 instead
WE SHALL SEE

·
Administrator
28,626 Posts
Wow.

:zombie:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
36,070 Posts
8 years and change...is that a record?

·
Premium Member
36,070 Posts
BTW....apparently the easy fix for a Savage 64 or Stevens 62 that has feeding troubles is to swap out the mag, they seem to be the HP C9 of the Savage line.

·
Henderson/Las Vegas NV
82 Posts
I have a Savage 64 FXP and it has been nothing but reliable....

I have 3 factory 10 rnd. metal magazines and shoot only 40 gr. HV plated round nose ammo.
Aguila SuperExtra HV RN Plated Lead Round Nose 1250 fps and Freedom Munitions CI of Mexico Copper plated 40 gr. 1250 FPS.

I'm turning it into my special can killer :)

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,479 Posts
:zombie: and prolly a record...
We even have a Silicone Wizard sighting in this one!
Extra points for that one... :rofl:

:welcome:sattelitecentral!!!

·
Premium Member
5,362 Posts
I bought a NEW model 62 from Wally World Mid January , an its been a JAMOMATIC , cleaned it , stripped it , bought 6 more mags , NOTHING helps.
ii got Pissed off and sent it back to Savage to sort out , ill get it back Tomorrow "SUPPOSEDILY FIXED" we shall see ill call it fixed when its got 300 rounds through it without it hanging up every other shot !
They have changed a load of parts i,m told , Complete Bolt Assembly etc
i,m VERY VERY SKEPTICAL if it will work , and plan on getting a Ruger 1022 instead
WE SHALL SEE
When you get it back sell it. Buy a marlin 795 or a 10/22. Lots of good 22's in the market to be messing with a bad one. Savage I has a good reputation, but I don't know if they make the 22's or import them like some others do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.