Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Premium Member
220 Posts
Re: .22LR test- results UPDATED 12-27-08

Ever shoot any "Centurion" brand .22LR? J&G has it for a decent price per 500 so I'm thinking about having them throw a box or two in with my next order of bigger calibres.

· Premium Member
234 Posts

Hey SW. Just wanted to thank you for this effort. Just got around to reading it for some odd reason. Anywho, I'm a big fan of the venerable .22. I added the best from your list ,so far, to my ever present little notebook so I know what to look for if given a choice of .22 ammo to pick from.

Thanks again. Can't wait to see the rest of your test results!!!

Buzz

· Registered
114 Posts

was in my local convience/tobacco shop the other day, and they had started carrying ammo. They had a brick pack of the American Eagle for 15.99, so since ammo has been short around here, I decided to pick some up and see how it does. Did some plinking with it in my pistol, noticed the groupings were decent, so decided it was worth it.

Funny thing is, I just found this post, as I sit here having just field stripped my pistol and was getting ready to clean it. Seeing what you wrote about the ammo, first thing I did was check my barrel for residue, and was suprised to find it still pretty clean.

Thanks, I will be using this post for reference in the future.

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Ever shoot any "Centurion" brand .22LR? J&G has it for a decent price per 500 so I'm thinking about having them throw a box or two in with my next order of bigger calibres.
ive got a box on the shelf for when i get back to this. currently summertime chores around the house and shop have kept from shooting as much as i want.

SW

· Premium Member
220 Posts

It's okay. Life got in the way and I haven't bought ammo in months.

Well, a couple bricks of .22LR but none of the Centurion and definitely no larger calibres.

· Banned
19,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

7-12-09

tested five kinds of ammo today. shooting procedures are in OP, conditions are as follows:
85 deg outside temp
wind light and varible <5MPH

shooting notes
as per my usualt procedure i started with a "calibration test" with federal gold medal match to baseline my numbers. the high heat compared to the other tests created a 50-60 FPS increase in FPS numbers, therefore all FPS numbers will be at a -50 FPS correction and will be noted as such. no change in accuracy was noted.

CCI SHORT

29 Gr copper plated LRN
average group size 1.56"

velocity
factory spec 1105 FPS
average 10 rd string 1124 (-50 FPS correction)
low 1110 high 1151 (-50 FPS correction)

notes
Sweet smokey smell when firing. lots of unburned powder in the barrel.
cost 4.95/100

CCI CB

29 grn LRN
average group size 2.05"

velocity
factory spec 710 FPS
average 10rd string 730 FPS (-50 FPS correction)
low 710 high 749 (-50 FPS correction)

notes
virtually silent in shooting. the hammer falling made more noise than the shot. minimal residue for a low velocity round like this.
cost 8.99/100

WINCHESTER POWER POINT

40 grn plated HP with luballoy coating
average group size 1.15"

velocity
factory spec 1280 FPS
average 10 rd string 1275 FPS (-50 FPS correction)
low 1269 high 1280 (-50 FPS correction)

notes
very tight velocity window helps make for excellent accuracy on this round. clean shooting, smooth ejection. noted that bullet tips were uneven and HP cavities were not identical from bullet to bullet.
cost 1.99/50

CENTURION RIMFIRE

40 gr LRN
average group size 1.95"

velocity
factory spec 1250 FPS
average 10 rd string 1224 (-50 FPS correction)
low 1186 high 1278 (-50 FPS correction)

notes
very inconsistent from round to round. Shot consistenly at least 6" off point of aim. large velocity window. VERY stinky and smoky. left lots of debris in the bore including a fibrous material that disintigrated when i touched it.
cost 2.35/50

WINCHESTER "333" BULK PACK

36 gr Plated lead HP
average group size 1.85"

velocity
factory spec 1280 FPS
average 10 rd string 1203 FPS (-50 FPS correction)
low 1178 hihg 1265 (-50 FPS correction)

notes
this ammo had a dark, thin coating on teh bullet that almost feels like a moly coat. the HP cavities were also very uneven from bullet to bullet.
cost 11.95/333

SW

· Registered
80 Posts
SW.. you should try Aguila Super Maximum 30-gr. Solid 1750fps....when u get a chance

i use these bullets alot there my favorite over stinger ...

they also have a 60gr subsonic bullet { my gun hates them }

· Registered
1,241 Posts
the big thing here is money, or more precisely, my lack of it. i put regular reloading supplies higher on the priority list than new ammo for this test. being as things are uber expensive they've eaten up all my budget.

SW
Those prices are about double and sometimes triple what us "Sconnies" pay around here for .22 ammo. This was an awesome and very informative test, SW. Thanks!

· Registered
1,830 Posts
Do you plan on testing the Wolf .22lr match ammo? I've heard its one of the best out there for accuracy.
i havent found any in stock of late in any of my regular haunts. if you have some you would like to donate to the test it would be appreciated and credit would be given.

SW
I dont have any but the Cabelas here usually has some in stock. Never bought it because it's pricier for .22.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.