Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
Hey, SW, I just read some of the updates on the .22 caliber rimfire tests. Awesome post/sticky for everyone to enjoy! Thanks a bunch!

Now, all I have to do is finish my touch up work on my latest project and post some preliminary findings in the gun board...

:devilsidesmile:

Later!!!

Jag 8)

· Registered
1,830 Posts
CCI BLAZER

40 gr LRN
average group size 2.55

velocity
factory spec -i wasnt able to find any spec on the product box or on CCIs website-
average 10/rd string 970
low 755 high 1106

notes
all i can say about this stuff is DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY! it shoots extremely inconsitent veolcities and groups. half of the first group i shot were off the paper and i had to start over with a totally different aimpoint from any other ammo. It is VERY dirty and left a thick black ring of gunk around the muzzle. the only thing this stuff is good for is a bullet hose like my Ruger 10/42 conversion or a full auto rimfire conversion. there was also a strange smell after firing that vaugly reminded me of cattle urine or some cleaners ive been around. at this time i cannot reccomend buying this ammo at all and it currently resides in dead last for quality.
cost 1.99/50

Further notes- i called CCI customer service on this. they told me that since this lot was made, there had been change in the powder used. apprently one lot of powder had problems of some sort. i asked if there was any safety issues and the lady said no but accuracy and function was very poor with this particular lot of ammo. when the weather warms im going to buy a new batch and retry to verify results.

An update on the CCI Blazer. My buddy bought a box of 500 recently and I think they are a very good .22lr round. We had very consistant groups out of our Sig Mosquitos and not one feed failure which is common with new mosquito's. Sig recommends mini mags but the Blazer functions perfectly and is alot less expensive. He paid $20 for 500 rounds. Thought you'd be interested since you said they had made a change in their powder but hadn't had a chance to test it again.

· Registered
21 Posts
Great thread SW, thanks a lot. My personal favorite as far as value (price vs performance) is the federal bulk pack from a 10/22. Thunderbolts were terrible and 333's were only so so. As far as testing currently, what would you say as your favorite of the ammo tested as far as value goes?

· Registered
331 Posts
Needed to get some inexpensive stuff for training and found a box of Remington "22 Long Rifle Brass Plated Hollow Points" , 36 gr (Golden Bullet) @ 1280 muzzle at my local Dicks Sporting Goods... $19 and change for 525 rounds (Value pack). Ran 100 rounds thru my Ruger MK1 Bull Barrel yesterday so any accuracy results are meaningless, however.. it appeared to be consistent, no noticeable odor and Very clean.
A worthy candidate should you run across any.

· Premium Member
349 Posts
SW.. you should try Aguila Super Maximum 30-gr. Solid 1750fps....when u get a chance

i use these bullets alot there my favorite over stinger ...

they also have a 60gr subsonic bullet { my gun hates them }
The aquila's have a funny smell to them....I use the 60 grain subsonics in one of my 10/22's. You need a fast twist barrel (aftermarket one turn in 9 inches instead of the one turn in 15 norm) but they are a blast to shoot. Very quiet, like shooting a pop gun. Only have a couple hundred rounds down the barrel so far, but I can throw 50 rounds downrange (100 yds) and have them all impact inside the 5 1/2 inch target. never took any measure other than that, and that was plenty good enough to make me smile.

· Premium Member
254 Posts
Glad I found this thread, as I was about to ask just these questions.

I've recently bought 2 of the 550 packs of the Remington Golden Bullets, and they just plain suck.

From a freshly cleaned rifle, 27 bullets (3 tube mags) cause the rifle to FTF, FTE and make awful grimy noises like there is sand in the action. I've also had to pull out between 20-30 with pliers. Putting them through my 9 shot revolver leaves the gun feeling like furniture in a smoker's house (that weird, dry yet tacky feeling from all the residue).

I'm looking for the best compromise between clean, performance and cost, as I'm building up my SHTF stocks, and want to be able to shoot more than 27 bullets before a complete breakdown cleaning.

On a side note, I had someone give me 2 50pk of Blazers, and they seemed to do well. However, I'm still after something cleaner. I'd love to be able to shoot 2-300 rounds in a fun day.

If I can find them, I'll give the American Eagles a try. Those or the Cyclones, if I can find them.

Thanks SW =)

· Premium Member
47 Posts
I have been shooting the Winchester bulk pack from WalMart in my Marlin 60 and was pretty pleased with how well they shot, just tried some of the CCI MiniMags and I couldn't hit the pond, little long the snake I was aiming at. Back to the Winchester for me. Very interesting read SW, will try the Remingtons out next.

· Registered
250 Posts
Stinger's

for some reason it cut off the Fiocchi results

FIOCCHI

FIOCCHI SHOOTING DYNAMICS HIGH VELOCITY
40 gr copper plated LRN
Average group size .84"

velocity
factory spec 1255
average 10 rd string 1249
low 1240 high 1259

a very tight velocity window made this a good accurate round. a littel dirty but nothing excessive. one case got stuck in the chamber and had to be extracted with a needle nose pliers. i shot some extra rounds to see if i could duplicate this failure but i only got the one stuck out of all 40 rounds fired.
cost 11.95/50

group photo

SW
I have a box of 50 CCI stingers found them to be the best for me, but I don't want to use them up because they are so hard to get. I have some backordered since December. It's the only 22 my Sig 226 22 conversion will eat without problems

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.