Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, I'm no rookie to deer hunting and after taking 30+ whitetails mostly with .270, 30.06 and a few with a .35 Whelen. I bought a .243. It seems a bit diminutive compared to the above mentioned rounds. Ballistically it makes since for a well placed shot for an an animal in the 200 - 250lb range with 100 grain ammo while serving double duty for yotes and smaller critters with 55 grain ammo. I'm not looking for this to turn into a pissing match, but am looking for some honest feedback, not my buddy says this?
Thanks,
John

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
i hunted with one for several seasons when i was younger and had health problems that prevented me using a larger caliber. as long as you place your shot correctly, at a reasonable range, the 243 lays them down as well and any larger claiber, with less ruined meat. i preferrred 65 gr seirra BTHPs for all my shooting, regardless of target. worked equally well on large and small game. my deer were all shot between 60 and 125 yards and all dropped after less than three steps. If you handload run them fairly fast (3000+ FPS) and you'll never go wrong.

i still load the same load for dad for the same rifle 20 years later and it still works just as well now as it did then.

SW

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
65 grain Seirra? Huh? That's the kinda feedback I'm looking for.
Thanks Brother, I'm still looking for more.
John

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
.243 will have no problem with whitetails. i have one that i use on yotes, but i primarily use the .17 HMR. they .243 is not so good on muleys we have out west here, but whitetails, no problem

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Been huntin' with a Rem. model 7400 in .243 for over 20 years using Rem core-lok 100 gr. softpoints.Now I'm not the luckiest deer hunter nor have I had boo-koo time to burn huntin'.That being said,I've harvested 5 does and 4 bucks with the aforementioned load and rifle at ranges of app 50 yds to 175 yds and never had an animal travel over 20 yds.All were 1 shot kills.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
243 is about the best bang for your buck for a wide range of small to medium to large game. you can take everythin gfrom a woodchuck to deer sized game with proper bullet selection. IMHO it is second only to the 30-06 for versatility in the field.

SW

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Just stick to a good modern expanding bullet and it will do it's job. Many early loadings wouldn't expand and wounded deer with no blood trail. Try any of the Barnes triple shock or X bullets, I've had good results in several calibers.

Ron M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.