Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle called me. He's found a stash of .244 / 6mm Remington ammo and brass.

I've done a little reading. Looks like a neat cartridge.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
It is. Some say a little faster than the .243 - the case is a bit longer. The two are near ballistic twins, but the 6mm has never been as popular as the .243. Has to do with the original marketing, IIRC. Good all around gun for everything up to deer.

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts
The 244/6mm Remington is based on the 257 Robert. For the hand loader it is a better cartridge because of the longer neck. It will not fit in the same action that the 243 will fit in.

@histed is right. Remington marketed the 244 as a varmint round and gave it a slower twist for the shorter bullets. Winchester saw the 243 as a dual purpose cartridge and gave it a faster twist to stabilize the longer bullets.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
@greg_r - I read in one of my gun mags a while back that Remington changed the twist in the 6mm to better utilize 100/107 grn bullets. Do you know if that's right? Or when it was done? I could never confirm it

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
It is. Some say a little faster than the .243 - the case is a bit longer. The two are near ballistic twins, but the 6mm has never been as popular as the .243. Has to do with the original marketing, IIRC. Good all around gun for everything up to deer.
Exactly. Both came out in 1955. Remington had a 1:12 twist. Poor choice for what guys wanted. But, in 1958 they went to the 1:9 twist. But too late. In 1962 Remington ended production of the 244 caliber rifles. Then when they released the Remington 700 rifle for sale, in 1963, it was offered in 6mm Remington. Just renamed caliber and used 1:9 twist rates.
Good read here:

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts
@greg_r - I read in one of my gun mags a while back that Remington changed the twist in the 6mm to better utilize 100/107 grn bullets. Do you know if that's right? Or when it was done? I could never confirm it
Don’t know when, but it was not long before they changed it. It was too late though

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
35,819 Posts
Not so much brass, but 6 mm bullets for loading are one of the ones that is still on the shelf nearly everywhere out here.

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
Not so much brass, but 6 mm bullets for loading are one of the ones that is still on the shelf nearly everywhere out here.
Noticed the same around here. Few seem to shoot them.

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, he shipped all of it to me. Wants me to sell it for him. I haven't inventoried or photographed any of it yet, but I'll do so when I put it up for sale for him.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts