Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than sighting devices, my build is complete. I've got a pair of MagPul BUIS that will probably go on until I find an optic and base/rings that suit me.

I'm more than ready to start reloading.
Brass - 200 pieces new SRC
62 pieces once fired SRC
Bullets - 200+ 100 gr Nosler BT
100 87 gr Sierra SPT
177 86 gr Remington SP
140 75 gr Sierra HP
600+ 100 gr mostly Hornady
Powder- H335
Reloader 10x
IMR 8208 XBR
Benchmark
LT-32
Varget
RCBS 25-45 Sharps dies

Three boxes of 87 gr Hot-Cor factory BLEM.
IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_9589.jpg

IMG_6427.jpg

IMG_6863.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

Reactions: lklawson

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
IMG_0734.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMG_0772.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMG_0773.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have the Remington bullets in my possession yet. It appears that they look like this.
IMG_0774.jpg

·
Premium Member
35,668 Posts
What’s the dual cannelure for?

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
What's the dual cannelure for?
Don't know why the dual cannelure, but this bullet is built for the 25-20 WCF. It is a soft bullet and expands very well at 25-20 velocities. Should be explosive at 25-45 Sharps velocities.

years ago I used them in my 26" barrelled 25-06, IIRC 780 powder pushed them to 3300 fps. Made pink mist out of a whistle pig.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I still like this 25-45 cartridge. I really thought it would catch on. Still wondering why it did not. They even came out with a wildcat to address the olgive in the case mouth issue for those who preferred the heavier bullets. It shortened the case a bit but did not suffer any performance issues because the heavier bullet took up powder space anyway.

I am looking forward to the range report on this rifle, especially the accuracy aspect. The cartridge has the reputation of being a 2 moa cartridge, and my example certainly lived up to that reputation, but 2 moa is plenty good enough for the intents of the cartridge, namely deer and pigs.

I am thinking of building me another upper in this caliber, especially if @GoesBang gives a favorable review. I will likely go with the 24" barrel because the cartridge needs it to live up to it's velocity potential.

Even if the cartridge dies out, it will be no problem as 223 brass is plentiful and easily formed to 25-45 Sharps brass.

Reactions: GoesBang

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had ordered some bullets about a week and a half ago. Some of the ones I had ordered (Remington) weren't really in stock. The owner of the company told me that he would replace/upgrade the order.

These arrived today.
IMG_0853.jpg

·
Premium Member
35,668 Posts
You buy some really old bullets.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
35,668 Posts
I never knew that there was an expiration date.
Just saying, they look like the boxes with $5 price tags on them that you find in some old guys gear when he passes and his widow asks for help clearing things out.

Bet you didn't pay $5 though.:p

I have some CCI plastic boxes of 100 mini mags with 2.50 price tags that my SIL got from his grandpa's place when they cleaned it up after he passed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts