28,000 psi

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by ianpel, Jun 12, 2015.

1. ianpel

ianpel Active Member

.380 ACP-21,500 PSI
    .380 ACP+P-N/A
    9X19MM-35,000 PSI
    9X19MM+P-38,500 PSI
    .40 S&W-35,000 PSI
    .40 S&W +P-N/A
    .45 ACP-21,000 PSI
    .45 ACP+P-23,000 PSI

From what I can see, the JCP 40 and JHP 45 are identical (except internal chamber and barrel dimensions). I will guess the +P rated .40 will handle around 38,500 PSI like the 9MM. So it seems to me the JHP 45 wouldn't mind the 28,000 PSI .45 Super/.450 SMC. Double tap seems to think its .450 SMC is safe in full size +P rated guns.
    So if slide velocity can be controlled via spring, added weight, or both, I theoretically should be able to safely fire these cartridges??????????
    Really guys and girls, near 1350 FPS from a 185 gr 45 will make anyone feel warm and cozy. Not to mention my range buddies might lose the whole "Saturday night special" attitude towards any firearm that cost under $500.
    It would be nice if the 4595TS could handle this as well.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  2. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Wouldn't your same reasoning apply to the 4595 as well??

3. ianpel

ianpel Active Member

It most certainly would. Now 1500-1600 FPS sounds good to me. Thats .460 Rowland territory!!!!! @12,000 PSI less
    I have 492 rounds sitting around just waiting to be fed to a hungry hi point:D

4. Walkingwolf

Walkingwolf Well-Known Member

22 LR pressure is rated at 24,000 PSI, yet guns are made of zamac tolerate the pressure for years. I think the size, and the amount of material around that pressure would have some bearing.

Considering that on the HP rifle and pistol the exterior dimensions are the same between the 40, and the 45 means less steel in both the barrel and chamber. Not to mention that the case is also designed for pressure ranges.

I would imagine that a HP in good repair would handle the 45 Super, but for how many rounds.

5. ianpel

ianpel Active Member

Not a steady diet for sure. Just for range fun.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    The thicker cases would be highly preferred. Is the Super like the SMC, with a thick case?

7. undeRGRound

INDY
    The new(er) Federal 45 ACP brass, with the non-standard small pistol primer has
    a slightly stronger case. The base portion is a bit thicker around the primer pocket.

8. 45 super and 460 Rowland brass are both made from the same case according to starline they use a cut down 451 detonics case.

So 45 super brass would have no problem with 28k pressure and neither should your chamber

9. ianpel

ianpel Active Member

I think the only difference is the primer pocket. Small pistol on the smc, large on the super. The smc is supposed to have an edge in strength with more brass in the web because of the small primer.

10. ianpel

ianpel Active Member

It works. It recoils about as hard as an all steel 5" 1911 on smc's, but with a significantly high center. The best way to describe it....I does not push into my palm transfering the energy straight back to my shoulder. Its high enough to make it all wrist and no body. I think a heavier spring, but does any body have spring specs, or do I have to tell mother what im up too. I hope it's something simple like cut a heavy 1911 spring to CPI.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  11. undeRGRound

INDY
    So it's fine on the JHP, in your opinion?
    Keep a round count, and check it like every couple of mags at first,
    and all that. Gonna try the 4595 next?

Is the SMC strictly a Double Tap Brand?

12. ianpel

ianpel Active Member

At this point I wouldn't personally recommend it until the slide is slowed. I think the structure can withstand the pressure. I only put nine rounds through it, if I can upgrade the spring, I'll put more through it. No signs of stress after one mag.