Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still waiting on my backordered casting and reloading stuff. I'm passing the time smelting lead and casting ingots that will fit into the Lee casting pot. Have a good source of free lead. It comes in 30# chunks that I melt and cast in a cornbread mold. 98 ingot weighs 20 oz each or so, which gave me a pour of 120# this morning. This gives me 260 pounds made into ingots so far.

Took about 2 hours to make these and clean up.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Looks good man. Those cornbread ingots are great for sliding in the Lee pot when you're casting boolits.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep Primal.
I discoveered that the other day. The Lee pot I ordered from Cabelas came in and that is all I have at the moment. Saw that 4 ingots will fit into it nicely to start the melt. The order from Lee Factory Sales will be here in 2-6 weeks so until then all I can cast is ingots. The BUN on these ingots is running 13.0 to 14.3 so they should work fine in the 45ACP.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SW,

Not a bad idea. Since I am not sure of the exact composition of the material, other than the BHN #'s, and haven't cast any bullits from it yet I'd better hold off for now. Wouldn't want to get a bad name. I've got enough on hand now to cast around 6000 bullets for myself.

Maybe I could ship some free samples to the experienced bullet casters on our forum and see what their results with this are? Would 1 or 2 pounds be enough for for someone to try out?

This stuff is really clean when I melt it. After fluxing with wax I only get about 1 tablespoon of dross off each 30# chunk.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
2 pounds would be plenty for testing purposes. clean lead sells for about .75$/lb at the moment locally. ive been trying to find a new source as my local slavage yard isnt buying or selling lead anymore. he claimed the EPA is racking down on slavage lead as an enviromental hazard and were going to force him to buy a license to handle it.

SW

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Photos of the results of my 1st weekend casting session. I am rather pleased with the results. 400# of nice and clean ready for the Lee bottom pour casting pot ingots. Since it doesn't look like I'll be getting my mold anytime soon I'll probably just keep making these to scratch the itch.

Note the slipper garage floor was to cold for bare toes.

Casting in 203g this should be enough to make 12,173 bullets. Not real sure why I'll keep making ingots unless it is almost as addictive as Hi-Points?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Dude, it's just fun. That's a crap ton of lead dude. I wish I had that much.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
casting is a hobby and addiction in and of itself. not only does it save money its a good recylcing method and is "green" if you want to feel that way about it. also being as lead is basically inert, you can mine out your fired bullets from the berm behind the target and remelt over and over again.

SW

·
Registered
47 Posts
A STURDY TURKEY FRYER IS GOOD AND A LARG CAST IRON KETTLE ABOUT 8 TO 12 QUARTS,USE A METLE KITCINE PERFERATED LADLE TO REMOVE CLIPS AND GUNC..DONT USE THE FRYER FOR FOOD.HARBOR FRIEGHT HAS THE SET UP. ANY THING WILL FLUX SAWDUST IS USUALY USE WITH OIL.DONT MELT ww IN ELECTRIC POT..LOOK IN USED GOODS STORES FOR CAST IRON MUFFIN PANS AND PUT THE MOLDS ON CONCRETE FLOOR THAT WILL COOL THE LEAD FAST.ww WEIGHTS HAVE ANTIMONE,LEAD TINY TIN AND TINY ARSENIC. THE ANTIMONEY HARDENS THE TIN FLOWS AND THE ARSENIC ALOWS HEAT TREATING TO AROUND 30 BRIN.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
F751,

The chunks are 30# lead generator cores that are used to shield nuclear medicine isotopes during shipment from the manufacturer to the end user. They are lead alloyed with tin and maybe some other stuff. Test at 13.0-14.3 BHN that is plenty hard for most pistol shooting. I read that I could water quench to make a harder bullet but don't see the need to. Good source for me since I can get my hands on a couple hundred # every week.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SW,
Not sure I'd go that far yet. Between work and other hobbies that sounds like it might be biting off more than I could chew? For now I'll just keep making ingots (stockpiling)and waiting on my stuff from Lee Factory Sales to come in (they are killing me with the wait). Could be a nice sideline though to sell some and help pay for my own reloading. Got enough headaches already without asking for more. So far this is a relaxing hobby and don't want it to turn into a stressfull ordeal.
I'd need to check on cost of shipping before deciding what to do. Don't want to get involved with Paypal or anything like that. Guess I could try selling some small amounts and hope I get the money from the buyer? Do you think folks would be honest enough to do that if they were getting it at a good price? At least I couldn't get burned very bad that way?

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
2TN Mules,
I think most folks are honest. The way to do it is wait for payment before shipping. If you have them pay by Postal Money Order, you could ship the same day you recieve payment as they're a pretty safe means of payment. As for shipping, use the Postal Service's Flat Rate box. They come in various sizes but one of the larger ones is around $10 to ship anywhere in the U.S., Alaska and Hawaii too I think. You can ship up to 70 lbs for that price. For less than another $1 get Delivery Confirmation. It's a good deal on shipping small but heavy items. Hmmmm, lead comes to mind.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
For shipping ingots, check out USPS flat rate boxes. up to 50 lbs for one fixed price.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the tips. I'd read a little about the USPS boxes. If I can get away from work during the day I'll check it out.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
So would I.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.