2nd time at range was frustrating

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by IDMTfirefighter, Feb 8, 2016.

1. IDMTfirefighter

IDMTfirefighter Member

Took my new C9 to the range for the second time on Saturday. A bit frustrating. The pistol was failing to rack a round with a fresh magazine. I would pull back and release and the slide would just stick in the open position. Several times I had to forcefully push the slide forward to chamber the first round. This happened with several different brands of ammo. Once a round was chambered however it fired without issue. Perhaps I need to disassemble, clean, and freshly lube the pistol. dunno. Other than that the pistol continued to be very accurate out to 25 feet which is where I usually practice at.

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Well that's not right. :(

Are you "gently" racking it, or do you forcefully rack the slide back and then let it go, to slam home on its own?

You're right that it should be lubed some.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I would disassemble it, and check out the bottom of the slide. You may have something broke. Then clean & lube well. I have had this same problem when my gun was dry & dirty?

4. IDMTfirefighter

IDMTfirefighter Member

Like with any other semi-auto I pull the slide back till it stops and release. The spring should do the rest of the work in bringing it forward to chamber a round. I was, on several occasions, having to manually push the slide forward to chamber the first round.

5. Do what Melvin said. You may find some gunk or a rough portion on the slide which may need filing/sanding. It happens man....it'll be fine.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

And, from what I think you wrote, it does when under the recoil impulse. If I read correctly, it only "fails" when you manually cycle the slide. Hi Point firearms sometimes don't like to be babied. Jack that slide with authority and let go at the rear-most travel, allowing the slide to slam home. Try to replicate the recoil impulse.

But only when manually cycling the slide on the first round in the magazine, right?

Again, clean and lube it, but don't baby the recoil/slide-cycle.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

A fast hard rack is needed on some guns. Even then at times a round will get hung up. Usually it will work its self out of those hang ups with more use. It won't hurt to take it apart and make sure no crap is causing it to bind up. If not keep shooting it. Break it in. Some guns take a little to no break in and others more.

8. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Did you "tap" all your magazines according to manufacturer's directions?

9. IDMTfirefighter

IDMTfirefighter Member

thanks all for the input. I don't try to "gently" chamber the first round from the mag so I know that is not the issue. Hi Points slides are big and can clearly take a little abuse. However, there is no telling how long this particular C9 sat in the box on a shelf in the back room of Gander Mountain before I brought it home. In the next day or two I'll break it down and give it a good inspection, cleaning, and lube. Then I'll keep shooting. If I can't resolve the issue I'll give HP a call.

10. IDMTfirefighter

IDMTfirefighter Member

on a second note it's great knowing you can post an issue and get lots of help and input in less than 30 minutes...good group here

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I was going to guess too much spring pressure in the mag?

Try loading one or two less than max rounds in the mag, and see if the slide will go into battery easier.;)

12. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

When my C 9 was new it would do this, but a I cleaned the rails free of any paint and gunk, polished the ramp, the dolls head and now she slides smooth.
    Welcome to the HP world and yes I am the guy that thinks you should go buy an HP 4595TS and enjoy the fun it will bring you.

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    +1 Bam-Bam :D

14. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    guy I work with went shooting this weekend with his daughter. She got a C9 for Christmas and Just now got to shoot it. He was saying that after the LRHO, he'd put in a new mag and when he pulled back the slide to release it and chamber the first round it wouldn't release. Said they had to pull back and up on it to get it to slide forward. Just so I don't have to take mine apart and study it, any suggestions on what to tell him? He did say that these were the very first rounds fired out of it and it was Tula and besides the above issue it worked perfectly.

15. IDMTfirefighter

IDMTfirefighter Member

well I took my C9 apart tonight. Easier than I expected and youtube was again quite helpful. cleaned/lubed all the internals. found a bit of excess paint/rough spot on the bottom edges of the slide which I could trim with a #10 surgical scalpel (perks of being in healthcare). I also used this to trim some excess flash on the plastic parts. cleaned and lubed the mag spring lightly and exercised it about a 100 times. loaded up a mag and with safety in mind racked a few rounds. NO sticking to the rear this time. I'll try her again at the range operationally and see how she does. I'll let yah all know if any more issues.

16. Watch racking out live rounds on these guns. They use the firing pin as the ejector. Big suprise in store when you have an out of battery discharge.

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Good news. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

18. Recoman

Recoman Supporting Member

Definitely BE CAREFUL WHEN RACKING LIVE ROUNDS as was said above by sbuchho!!! Don't do it if you don't have to!!!