Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the C9 failing to load the second to last round. I keep getting a stove pipe and having to remove the magazine and rack the slide every second to last round. I think it is the magazine.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Did you follow the "standard" break in for Hi-Point mags? Fully load them and leave them sitting for a couple weeks? What kind of ammo?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its been 2 weeks but I had it loaded the entire time. Initially it was fine but as more rounds went through the weapon it started doing it with any ammo I tried. Blazer Brass, Winchester +p, gold dot, independence and a few others.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
If you are getting a stovepipe (case from the previous shot not being totally ejected) that is almost always caused by limp-wristing.
If the next round is standing up in the mag, I would guess that the problem is in the mag. See if there are any burrs on the follower or upper part of the inside of the mag. Also look for any dents, etc. on the outside of the mag.
This assumes that you have checked/adjusted the mag lips per the sticky.

MTH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looked for burs and did not see any. I did not adjust the mags because they looked alright and am a little fearful of doing the adjustment wrong. I dont think it was limp wristing because it was consistently the 2nd to last round and with multiple shooters.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Is this a ten or eight round mag? Just curious, eight rounders usually are less troublesome than the ten round.

One method I've used on mags that jam is to use a pencil or dowel to fully compress and release the spring many times. Just unload it and then push the follower down and let it come back up over and over.
I also fixed a couple stubborn ones by disassembling them and then going over the edges of the follower with a buffing wheel and jewelers rouge.

MTH

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are not alone

I just picked up a C9 and a spare 10 rd mag. Both the stock 8 and 10 rd were left loaded for a week and then run with 7 and 9 rounds respectively. The second to last round from the 10rd mag consistently jams with at a 45 degree angle with the nose of the round against the breach and top of the slide above the bore. I tried it with 8 9 and 10 rounds loaded and all jammed on the second to last round.

I put 100 rounds through that mag on Saturday and it failed the same way every time. The 8 round mag failed 0 times. I think I have found the cause but not sure how to fix yet. The second to last round if you eject the rounds with your thumb is not tight to the top of the mag the seems to be a catch in the spring that lessens the tension for that round. The nose of the round then raises to point slightly upward and misses the ramp entirely when the slide comes forward. Anyone got a thought on how to address that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My problem is almost identical. I was shooting groups of 3 and it would jam on the 2nd round or when I was shooting groups of 8.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts