Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw my granddaughter playing with her Barbie Doll. I exclaimed “oh no, the tree is attacking your Barbie!”

No she says. She is having a baby.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's scary how much some of them know.

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
Yup, gramps. watch out for the kindergarten boys. Younger every year! Seriously, it's sad.

Reactions: Merle

·
Super Moderator
28,536 Posts
It’s scary what “tv”, books and school now teach little kids…
Why? Used to be that even very young children knew exactly where babies came from. Baby cats, baby dogs, baby cows, baby sheep, baby people, etc. I'm not sure when western society generically decided to shield the youth from the facts of life, like where food comes from or where baby food (veal) comes from, but I don't think it was a good thing. We deliberately lie to them and it makes kids ignorant. "And then Mommy kissed Daddy, and the angel told the stork, and the stork flew down from heaven, and left a diamond under a leaf in the cabbage patch, and the diamond turned into a baby!"

If I had to guess, I'd guess it probably started in the "moral" revival period of Victorian England. There was a huge backlash by English christians against the perceived hedonism of the time and a massive social pressure to reform sexual mores.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
Why? Used to be that even very young children knew exactly where babies came from. Baby cats, baby dogs, baby cows, baby sheep, baby people, etc. I'm not sure when western society generically decided to shield the youth from the facts of life, like where food comes from or where baby food (veal) comes from, but I don't think it was a good thing. We deliberately lie to them and it makes kids ignorant. "And then Mommy kissed Daddy, and the angel told the stork, and the stork flew down from heaven, and left a diamond under a leaf in the cabbage patch, and the diamond turned into a baby!"

If I had to guess, I'd guess it probably started in the "moral" revival period of Victorian England. There was a huge backlash by English christians against the perceived hedonism of the time and a massive social pressure to reform sexual mores.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
From my research into that era during my teaching career, I'd have to agree with you. Referring to arms and legs as "limbs", pregnancy becomes "in the family way" and dozens of other examples. Whether it is morally right or wrong I'll leave to the theologians and philosophers

Reactions: Rabidwookie

·
Premium Member
35,988 Posts
Why? Used to be that even very young children knew exactly where babies came from.
But most of them didn't know how it looked when mommy was all spread out in the delivery room. That's more recent.

·
Super Moderator
28,536 Posts
But most of them didn't know how it looked when mommy was all spread out in the delivery room. That's more recent.
Only in relation to hospitals for delivery. When midwives were the standard, instead of hospitals...

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Precisely why I said 3 year old knows too much

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
35,988 Posts
Only in relation to hospitals for delivery. When midwives were the standard, instead of hospitals...

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Nope. When Midwives were the standard, young kids and men were sent away. Out of the room or out of the house. No need to let the little ones hear mom screaming or see her looking like a demon from the nether regions. Pre-teens or teenagers? Sure, they were fetching water, rags or towels, etc.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
28,536 Posts
Nope. When Midwives were the standard, young kids and men were sent away. Out of the room or out of the house. No need to let the little ones hear mom screaming or see her looking like a demon from the nether regions. Pre-teens or teenagers? Sure, they were fetching water, rags or towels, etc.
Well, maybe very young children. Men weren't sent away. They were still in the house available. And if there were not sufficient women/midwives available, they'd be brought into the room.

[illustration from the 1880's]

And even then, the young children knew exactly what put the baby in mommy's belly, and it sure wasn't the stork. They'd seen animals having sex and giving birth. Now it seems like a lot of parents are freaked out if their child might see dogs humping in the street.

I'm not saying that hospital birth is bad. In fact, I think medically attended births increases survival rates for mother and babies, and decreases long term injuries from childbirth to the mother (which was even more common than death during childbirth).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
Yeah, I was going to say...

Back then, being 7 was going on modern 17...

Reactions: lklawson

·
Registered
698 Posts
Aw Hell, brace up girls and just be like the Indian, err, oops.. Native Peoples women. Go out into the woods, take a squat, and come back with the kid.

Reactions: yworrydog

·
Premium Member
8,203 Posts
My hous eused to be the midwives house for a wide area, room I use as the living room used to be the delivery/exam room and had its own entrance from the front porch. Had a pair of french doors with frosted glass to close it off form the rest of the house. There is a book up at the city office listing all the births and deaths that happened in the house. I keep expecting to dig up a baby grave in the backyard from a still born. Supposed to be 20+ buried out there. May be in the farm field further back...

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,998 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Never lied to the kids about these things. Nor Santa Claus and stuff like that either. Imo they are better off. If they are too young, just give them enough correct info to satisfy their curiosity for a time.

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
Never lied to the kids about these things. Nor Santa Claus and stuff like that either. Imo they are better off. If they are too young, just give them enough correct info to satisfy their curiosity for a time.
That's pretty much how we were going to do it with my boys, but the (should be) ex- wife just went all 'false god worship is a sin' and destroyed the Easter Bunny, Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Krampus...all of them. Told the kids anybody who believed in them or told their kids about them was going to hell...

There's a reason she's my ex...lol

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts