Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my Deer hunting rifle and the thought of long range targets interests me as well. I will also hopefully start reloading eventually but not yet. My hunting grounds don't really require anything more than my 30-30 offers me in terms of range but help me decide which rifle will be best for me. I know you can't do that specifically so give my some things to think about concerning each cartridge.

BTW right now I am leaning toward the 7mm since its located much closer and already has a scope mounted. Mounting the scope doesn't bother me but the time involved to dial it in before hunting season does pose a problem.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SO I have spent the afternoon thinking and researching. Now I am leaning toward the 30-06. I don't need the distance of the 7mm. I would like the cheaper off the shelf ammo and the great choices if I decide to reload. Hhhhmmmmm Choices!

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Im not a big fan of either really.

A 308 is about as good as a 30-06 and uses a shorter/lighter action. If you are shooting 180gr or less the 308 is a better balanced option in a bolt action. Ballistics in the normal weights are fairly close. My woods gun is a Rem600 308 (carbine) with a few mods and weighs under 7lbs. Ease of carry while deer hunting is high on my list but i can still make a 200yard shot just fine in "scout" mode.

7mm Mag is a bad ass if you really want to reach out and dont mind paying a premium for ammo. A good 270 Winchester is far more common and shoots great with a little less recoil and noise. Most of the Mags dont really impress me unless you are going for extreme range or big/dangerous game. I had a 300Win Mag and sold it mainly because it would just destroy a deer and i dont hunt at 500 yards or use 200gr+ bullets.

If both of your options are based on availability and price or you just like the guns....I would choose the 30-06 based on ammo cost/availability and it will shoot as far i can on anything i hunt.

·
Premium Member
36,314 Posts
+1 to the ought-6...unless you can find a .270 or .308 for less. At your ranges, they'd be great.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I sold my 7mm mag, because I am not much of a hunter, and I used teh cash to get an AK but I can say, the 7mm performed fantasticly in the heavy brush here in Eastern PA, where I live, but I got sick of spending $1.20 evry time I pulled the trigger.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I bought the 30-06 last night. I hope to get the scope mounted and zero'ed this weekend. The rifle is a Stevens 200. Bought it for $235 with 1 round though it! Why would someone buy a rifle 2 years ago and fire 1 round though it then sit on it? Don't know as long as you sell it to me for a decent price!

·
Premium Member
36,314 Posts
There are a lot of those sorts of things out there. Guys make a buy thinking they want to go hunting, or "be a gun guy"; and then just don't actually do it, or don't enjoy it...so you get a great deal!

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
just wait till about three years down the road when all these guys that bought ARs and AKs during the panic decide to sell them. its already a buyers market now, think about that flood of cheap rifles.

SW

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Thanks guys I bought the 30-06 last night. I hope to get the scope mounted and zero'ed this weekend. The rifle is a Stevens 200. Bought it for $235 with 1 round though it! Why would someone buy a rifle 2 years ago and fire 1 round though it then sit on it? Don't know as long as you sell it to me for a decent price!
Let us know what you think I am thinking about getting one of those myself, although in .308.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts