Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend at work was telling me about lever revolution ammo for the 30-30 said it was pricey but but had longer range and better accuracy. any one ever use it? what where the results? and is it worth the cost?

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
yes, average and no. the only advantage it has it at 200+ yards where a flat or roundnose bullet falls off in velocity and a spitzer type bullet caries on. personally taking 200+ yard shots with a 30-30 seems a bit much. i used mine in 150 yard and 80 yard shots and i couldnt tell any difference. not worht the 2.50 per round price tag IMHO.

SW

·
Registered
268 Posts
I noticed at www.midwayusa.com they carry the bullets as reloading components now.

Even then, I see no use in making a 200-yard rifle out of a 30-30. I have two 30-06 rifles which are zeroed to 300 yards with 180 grain Core-Lokts. Unfortunately, where I deer hunt, I have no use for anything which can shoot further than 50 yards. ;)

wizard93

G

·
I use them in my Marlin guide gun 45/70,,I get more range, but they're not much fun to shoot..I thought it was just me but a few other guys said the same thing, they kick pretty good..And for the extra cash, I'm not sure they're worth it..

G

·
ive used them...i like them and i think that they would be worth it IF you really have a need for the extra range that they can give the average lever gun. if you have a bolt action '06 that you could use for a long range weapon then id not worry about it but if you could see yourself out there during deer season with nothin but the old 30-30 and you need to make a shot at 150-200+ yards...id certainly hope you have hornady leverevolution in the tube. sure they cost about 25$ a box but think about how much ur gonna be shooting that? 10 rounds to sight it in then that leaves 10 more for the deer. i dont know about you but i sure didnt use 10 rounds last deer season.
so id say it all really boils down to if you need extra accuracy/range potential of if you just want it to be "cool".

G

·
well i dont go out and shoot targets with my dads 30-30...unless im sighting in for deer season. so FOR ME its not a waste of money cause the main target is a DEER

·
Registered
37 Posts
I do use many brush type guns for further range shots sometimes. They in fact do have a perceived harder kick and a tremendous advantage with distance. The biggest advantage is being able to load'em into a tube magazine or bolt clip, and no matter how many times it's done they never mar or disform like traditional hp's or sp's. To me that is more than worth the accuracy. Not to mention, they add a new unprecedented abiltiy to traditional buffalo bore rounds. Makes a 444 alot better further out, esp. when counting on a single shot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hunt in Colorado so the shots are longer, most my deer are 150 to 350 yd range , I use a 30-06 and have the 30-30 for a backup rifle (needed as a result of leaving the 30-06's bolt locked up at home one season and having to use my side arm a 44 mag for my main hunting weapon) so I'm going to get a couple of boxes for the backup-can't-use-30-06-because-some-brain-fart and cycle every few years. I know its not the ideal set up but that's what the 30-06 is for however it is a better choice then the side arms for my main hunting gun (though its now a 454 casull) and the 30-30, scope, etc, were less then $200 so i really cant beat it. thanks for all the info.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
i have savage 340 bolt3030 . I do reload and I have used it on 175yds shot . Not really my plan at the time but it was all it was all i had and I practiced with it a lot. using a 150 gr bulletin a spritzer . Remember bolt action I was able to shoot the at 200yds ok I do not suggest you use the 3030 for a 150 yds shot keep it at 100yds or less and you will bring home the deer . m98

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
we've had guys try the leverevolution rounds out at teh silhouette range where we shoot 200 yards with them. we didnt notice any difference from standard round or flat nose to the polytip. maybe in the field it would make a difference but we couldnt see any.

SW

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
30/30 or 7.62x39 either are fine out to 200 yards easy and have similar ballistics. Hunting is fine with them in most parts of the country though that 30/06 or 7.62x54R gives a lot more range. Funny how US and Russian cartridges match up like this. Still think the 308 just trumps both given the availability of rifles that use it.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Funny how US and Russian cartridges match up like this. Still think the 308 just trumps both given the availability of rifles that use it.
Almost all mil cartridges of that era match up(Dutch, Greek & Italian being odd). Same projected use & same laws of physics.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
we've had guys try the leverevolution rounds out at teh silhouette range where we shoot 200 yards with them. we didnt notice any difference from standard round or flat nose to the polytip. maybe in the field it would make a difference but we couldnt see any.

SW
Ten years ago, testing a 110, 220 & 440 yards we couldn't see a reason to use anything but round nose. In any off these - 30/30, 30/40, .308, 7.65, 7.7, .270, 6.5 carcano. Don't think we tested 7mm Mag & surely not .223. My younger bro will only use round nose in his .270s now.

FWIW, because of the longer bearing surface of the round nose they are usually more accurate. You'll seldom get fliers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.