.30 carbine bullets in an AR-10?

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by Branth, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Branth

Branth Member

I can get .30 carbine FMJ bullets for a bit over half the price of full-sized .308 bullets. They're pretty light at 110 grains, and I'm sure the ogive is weird. Still, I'm tempted to try and pick up a hundred or so and see if I can get a load that works alright in my AR-10 for some cheap training ammo.

Has anyone tried putting 110gr bullets in a .308, preferably a semi-auto? Any suggestions for powder? I'm using H4895 for the full-power stuff, though I have some 4064 and H335 on hand. I'm thinking I'll use the H335 for this load, but I'm open to suggestions.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

You may be back to the rifling twist in your barrel problems discussed in the new 5.56 thread.....

3. Branth

Branth Member

As long as they are the size of a fist at 50 yards, I don't mind. This would be my ammo for fairly rapid-fire practice.

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Could be whoop ass, whirling dervishes!.....

5. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

used some in a bolt action .30-06 before.
    loud, fast, inaccurate, disintegrate upon contact if not before

what's not to like about them? ;)

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Off the longrangehunting site
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/loading-308-110-125-grain-bullets-64620/

This isn't the same shape, but it's a starting point.

"I Use the 110 V-MAX (bc .290)
    XX Grains of RL 15 (Magical .308 Powder) (check link for numbers)
    Nosler Brass (neck sized after firing in my chamber)
    OAL 2.750
    Fed 210M primer
    Velocity 3060

In the 308 case you can push the 110's to 3200 but those loads are getting a little hot and accuracy suffers. The above load is an accurate load in my rifle and I've shot clay pigeons out to 825 yards with it connecting about 60 percent of the time. Calling the wind is the challenge with this load when I miss its a little left or a little right. I've used 125 NBT's in a 30-06 and accuracy was outstanding but have only shot those to 700 yards. Both rifles have a 1-12 twist."

7. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Are you going to use plated or FMJ?
    If you are thinking of using plated you will have to keep them slow.

8. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

A gunsmith loaded some 100gr cartridges for my 270. They shot alright but if they made contact with anything, even a blade of grass they would turn into a puff of dust. Needless to say we didn't try anymore 100gr bullets in the 270.

You might get the 30 cal bullets to work but the gun will shoot so much differently you would be better off to practice with a 22.

I have been to appleseed camps. Appleseed uses scaled targets to emulate 300 yard shots with a 22 at 50 yards. You are shooting some tiny targets at an Appleseed camp. To get a rifleman patch you have to hit 10 targets about the size of a pencil eraser at 50 yards with iron sights. Believe it or not young kids 10 to 12 do best and usually get a rifleman patch.

9. I run 100's of them in a .308 bolt when I was a teen using 2400 for powder. They worked for target practice to 100 yards. I've never had a semi .308.

You might want to try 4227 or 4198 instead of 2400, as 4227 and 4198 are easier to get now if you don't have any 2400 and the main reason I used 2400 was because I had that powder for the .410.

I think you'll have the best results driving a bullet about 2000-2500 fps.

You'll find listed loads for 4227 and 4198.

10. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

I keep blue dot powder to load turkey loads. A few of my friends have used it to load magnum ruger only pistol loads. They did weigh the powder but when they dumped the powder in the case it looked like they had just scooped the case full of powder. I have used blue dot to load 1150 fps 9mm target loads. There was so little powder in the case I dumped it out to make sure I weighed it correctly.

When I load my turkey loads I just take out the bushings in the charging bar and let it rip. They work great, when I touch one off everyone in the woods knew who shot a turkey. That is 4 drams of powder and 1 1/2 oz of shot.

As versatile as Blue Dot is it would not surprise me if there is not 308 load data for blue dot.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  11. I've seen .308 loads using Blue Dot and other pistol powders. Most(round count) of my .308 loading is done using pistol powder.

But I think there would be problems using them and getting an AR-10 to cycle.

12. Branth

Branth Member

Definitely FMJ - I'd need decent velocity to get the action to cycle.

Thanks for the link, ajole - There's a guy in there with an AR-10 that he got to cycle just fune, so it looks like it can be done!

13. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Not always... I load 300 BLK subsonics with Accurate 1680, they running under 1020fps and the action works fine. A plated can run at that velocity just as well as a FMJ, and is cheaper. ;)