300 AAC or 308... decisions decisions

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Visper, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Ok guys, I got the go ahead from the wife for some new toys.

I've been looking at 308 for awhile now. The AR10, the M77, and a PTR-91.

I recently shot a friends 300 AAC. I really kinda liked it. I shot it with both sonic/subsonic and it was fun to shoot. Recoil was about the same as a regular 223.

I also know the 300 AAC is a great suppressed rifle if I ever decide to get another tax stamp.

I could just get a 300 upper, works with my AR15 lower and mags, but also maybe even an Enfield, a 270 win, or a black powder flintlock (hunting season is coming) with the savings over purchasing just the PTR.

So my question to all of you, what would you pick?

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Locally 308 is readily available, so that would be a huge factor for me.
    Of course id only go the M77 route from your list of choices in it, but that's neither here nor there.

Going with different uppers is a smart option if you're into the AR platform. saves money and let's you have different caliber options. Im not an AR guy though. But that's the route id go if i was.

3. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

AR-10 in 7.62 x 51mm.

That way You can shoot either the 7.62 OR the .308.

eldar

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    AR 10. Prices are decent, and .308 can do lots that a .300 can't.

And yes, .308 can be suppressed. Some...:eek:

If you just can't go AR, go bolt. The M77 is nice in a few ways, like controlled feeding, D&T for scope and rings included, IIRC, plus a release on the mag base.

But "everyone" says the Savage is more accurate.:p

5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Like my 300blk. Cost and availability of ammunition is not a worry to me, 223 cases and .308 bullets are plentiful. Do you reload?

I guess it comes down to what you want it to do and what platform you want to use. The 300 blk is a good 150 yard cartridge. The 308 will stretch on out there. The 300 blk is at its best for hunting with 110 to 125 grain bullets. The suppressed rounds often do not expand. The 308 is good all the way up to 180 grains.

Either round can be effectively suppressed.

6. If you are hunting, Go .308 can the .300blk be used? sure. but that .308 will go longer, and kill more. Also i just saw .308win rounds for 13.99 at walmart.

7. Grant

Grant Member

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    If you already reload:

No Brainer...
    300 BLK :D Keeps you down to one modular battle rifle platform.
    That's how I'd do it, but then again, I was never afraid of adding
    a platform or caliber ;) I already have a 270W which exceeds a
    308, and IMO, a 30-06, at least in down-range ballistics... :nahnah:

Just another way to look at it!

If you don't reload, it's pretty much a no-brainer for one of the 308/NATO variants...

9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    $10 for 20 NATO rounds at Wal-Mart

10. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Figure out what you want to do with it and what distance you need it to reach out to. Then you can make a decision on which way to go.

I have several .308's, .223/5.56 and .300BLK as well, all configured for specific purposes. Several of them are NFA stamped. Once you know what you want to do with it you will know what is best for you.

11. From what I have read supersonic 115 grain .300 Blackout has a lot energy out to about 300 yards.

I would go with a 7.62 x 51 M-1A Scout rifle. 7.62 x 51 is more common than .300 Blackout unless you reload ammunition.

12. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

Really are two totally different purposes. If you want to suppress choose the 300blk. If your not buying another can, get the 308. Don't go by the cost of ammo 300blk you must reload.

13. Visper

I've loved the M77 for awhile, it seemed like the best bang for the buck (excuse my pun)

I really do like the 300 AAC option for ease of swap out and magazines with my AR15, 300 yards would most likely be the farthest I would ever reach out.

See to me if I can get two rifles for the price of one, then why not right? That is my reasoning, 300 AAC and an enfield. Ok so it might be a little more than the M77 but I'll tell the wife its was really close in price lol.

Still I really like the M77 and always wanted a PTR-91. I keep pushing off the PTR-91 for more affordable options... one of these days I might wind up kicking myself for waiting too long.

I guess out of my next rifle purchase I was thinking i would really like a suppressed one, one that was meant to be suppressed. This from what I understand is one of the best for that. I have a can for my AK, its ok but not what I was expecting noise level wise. Also I think I just saved myself some cash, don't they have thread adapter kits for suppressors? I could use the same can correct? Not sure but it would make sense...

I think its between the M77 and the 300 AAC upper with bonus Enfield...Still don't know which, going to read some more... not going to rush into it.

I appreciate everyone's input though, it has given me some things to think about.

14. Visper

I understand that reloading is the way to go for 300AAC (that can be said for almost any ammo) but looking at ammoseek, the low end "plinker" stuff is comparable to 308, within .04-.05 a round.

15. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Go with a .308. And, that M77 being sold today are darned good rifles. I had bought 3 of them in the 80's. Groups improved once I learned to set the adjustable gas valve for the bullet weights I was using.

16. Branth

Branth Member

If you don't reload, go with the .308. It's a far more capable round, and is gonna be available for much longer. 300 Blackout is catching on some, but I give it a few years until it becomes an odd boutique caliber that's expensive in factory loadings. Even if the ammo cost is about the same, you get a lot more power and range out of a .308

If you anticipate wanting to shoot much past 200 yards or so, I'd go with the .308 as well. The .300 BLK just isn't designed to be a long distance round. Can you make hits past that? Sure, probably. It's just not optimal, and the .308 will do it much better. If you live in a part of the country where shots past 200 are rare, then maybe the .300BLK makes more sense from a modularity standpoint, and it'd be cheaper to get into.

I lean towards the .308, but if you reload and don't plan on shooting longer ranges, the .300 BLK would be cheaper and effective enough, IMO.

17. greg_r

300 blk with a 1.5" scope height and a 50 yard zero, you are back at -1.5" at 100 yards. - 6" at 150 yards. If I expect longer shots than that I use another rifle.

18. greg_r

I doubt it's going anywhere. It's really nothing more than the 221/300 Fireball and 300 Whisper. They have been around for nearly 50 years now.

19. Have they?
    Because I haven't heard of them. And i doubt my LGS stocks those.

20. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    $470 complete kit. Just add lower stripped receiver if you so desire.
    CDNN Sports
    [​IMG]