300 Blackout

Discussion in 'Rifle Cartridge Data' started by GoesBang, Feb 18, 2017.

1. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

Just got my first batch of brass today. Dies are ordered. What is your favorite load? Light or heavy? I've got 308 bullets in 4 or 5 weights. Thinking of using Varget or Benchmark this go around. ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1487451094.016140.jpg

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Varget and Benchmark are too slow of a powder for 300 blackout.

I use Lil Gun, 296, and 4227.

lklawson likes this.

3. I haven't reloaded any .300 Blackout yet, so I'm interested favorite loads also. Both sub-sonic and super sonic.

4. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

Well I have some H110. Good call

5. eet

eet Member

I've been shooting 300 for more than 3 years and reloading it for 2-1/2. I have tried all sorts of loads for my 16" setup. For me, I have gotten the best results with Sierra 125 gr Spitzer (#2120) and 16.8 grains of Lil Gun. My suggestion is to have fun with it, Hodgdon and others have some great data on line. You do need a faster powder though.

Good luck.

lklawson likes this.
  6. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Hodgdon CFE BLK. I just purchased some about 2 weeks ago.

My shooting buddy reloaded 50 or so and we tried them out about a month ago. They cycled both sub and super in our 300's with pistol length gas tubes.

My buddy has been reloading for awhile so I have been using his knowledge a lot in my reloading infancy!!

lklawson likes this.
  7. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    Using the 125gr Sierra Pro Hunter #2120 I have had excellent results with IMR4227, H110, and Lil' Gun.

I only use Fed 223 cases and LC 5.56 converted to 300blk.
    I use 2.06 for OAL with this bullet.

Here is some data. This target was at 50 yds with H110.
    the charge weight is written near each group. I have gone with 18 gr and it does well at 100 yds also but I cant find that target right now.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8elBTsvd1C3RzRmZUtsN05sclE

This is with Lil' Gun at 50 yds. Look at the pattern at 20.3 gr and compare it to the next test of the same loads at 100 yds.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8elBTsvd1C3X28tYnNYYjFINDA/view?usp=sharing

Lil' Gun at 100 yds
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8elBTsvd1C3em85M1ZKcWdhcnM

Both had a very tight group with one flyer.
    20.3 is my load for Lil' Gun. Velocity is 2350.

Don't have any pics for the next one but I use 17 gr IMR4227 with both the 125 gr Pro Hunter and the 125 gr Speer TNT, also at 2.06.

8. GLUGLUG

NC
    Oh, for Subs I have been using 9.7gr IMR 4227 and the 220 gr Sierra Pro Hunter. 2.05 on that one I believe. Seated to the top of the cannelure.

Ok, I keep thinking of great loads, you are going to have a blast loading 300 blk as there are soooo many great 308 bullets to try!

I use 19.5 gr of H110 under a Barnes Tac-TX black tip for hunting Whitetail and it is great. 2450 fps on this one.

Another good one is 16.5 gr of IMR 4227 under the 150 gr Sierra Gameking, the boat tail version of the pro hunter line. About 1900 fps

lklawson likes this.
  9. greg_r

Well GoesBang, I was going to start a new thread for you in the loading recepie section of the forum. I understand that's where the rules say we have to post them. But for some reason I am blocked in that section and can not post new threads. :eek:

Anyway I have 2 300 blackout rifles, a H&R AAC Handi rifle single shot, and a Frankengun build I did especially for supersonic. It has a 16.1 inch carbine length 1:7 twists barrel. Both are certainly accurate with the right loads.

Like eet, my favorite bullet is the 125 gn SGK. I too use Lil Gun, but I use a bit more powder. It pushes the 125 gn pill at close to 2200 fps. A max charge of 296 pushes the same bullet about 100 fps slower.

I use 296 with the Hornady 110 gn V-MAX. I am able to get just under 2400 fps with this one. LIL Gun does as well with this bullet. In an effort to cut down on powder inventory I will probably only use Lil Gun when the 296 is used up.

I use 4227 to push 147 grain pulls for a cheap plinking round. It nets me 1900 fps.

I use 4198 to push the HDY 208 gn V-MAX to just over 1000 fps. This is a AAC Handi Rifles loading. It's very accurate and as a bonus works in the MSR. Hornady no longer markets the 208 A-MAX and I am about out. Going to have to try their 208 gn VLD. BTW, the A-MAX does not expand well at this velocity. Again, Lil Gun will do the same thing and with less powder, but don't know if I will replace 4198 as I use it in the 7.62x39 and what my brother calls "shoulder breakers" in the 45/70.

Lastly I use the Lee 230 gn cast pushed by Unique to about 980 fps. This is the worst grouping combination of the lot at 1 1/2 MOA. Still, it is very quiet even without a suppressor, and adequate for what I use it for. Close range deer behind the house. It will not cycle the MSR.

The new CFE Black I don't know if I will be interested in. Might try it, but from what I have read, Lil Gun out performs it.

lklawson likes this.
  10. GLUGLUG

NC
    LIL' GUN ROCKS THE 300 BLK!!! More speed, less pressure. Doubt you could ever come close to max pressure with this powder.

lklawson likes this.
  11. greg_r

Glug Glug posted the same time as I did. My load with Lil Gun is about smack dab in the middle of what eet and Glug use. I am getting 2190 fps. It will shoot into an inch at 100 yards.

My load with the 125 SGK and 4227 is .7 grains more that what Glug is using. Compressed load. It gets me 1960 fps. Not my favorite powder for that application. FWIW, I also load to COAL of 2.060 with the 125 SGK.

12. GLUGLUG

NC

OK so you are using the Game King not the Pro Hunter. Hmmm, no you're not as Sierra doesn't make a 125 Gameking :p

13. greg_r

And it's easy to find now. It was unobtanium not too long ago, which is why I used 4227 and 296.

May it stay long on the dealers shelf! (At least long enough for me to find and buy it!)

14. GLUGLUG

NC

My LGS had 4#s, I had never used it, bought my 1st just to give it a try, had great results. Went back for more like 4 days later and all gone!:mad:
    Gotta find MORE!!!

15. greg_r

Aannnd.....you would be correct. :eek:

Attached Files:

16. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

How do you knowledge folks feel about the 300 for a deer round. Specifically, Whitetail. Since PA will be allowing semi autos, I am considering an AR in 300 AAC for deer season

17. GLUGLUG

NC
    I for one think it is a good round for up to 200 yds. After that you are pushing it.
    I got 3 white tail with mine last season. Farthest was a 6 pt. at 190 yds. DRT.
    Only got one this season but it's the only one I saw.
    Right behind the eye always works ;)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8elBTsvd1C3S1l4SW1BcGpMUWs

110 gr Barnes recovered from the one at 190 yds:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8elBTsvd1C3bUNxNFE2WUFZcHM

18. greg_r

With supersonic I love it, subsonic, not so much. A good supersonic bullet (like the SPH that Glug Glug so eloquently corrected me on! :eek:) works well with a shot to the boiler room. The subsonic means a tracking job unless you hit the CNS.

Check out the 25-45 Sharps. That one is impressing me.

19. greg_r

I'm still only finding it in 1 pound jugs. I buy it as I see it. When I get 8 to 10 pounds I will slow up.

20. GLUGLUG

NC
    I think I'm just gonna go on the hunt and get a bunch and then just load up all my 110 and 4227 and blast it all away! It might be the only powder I need for 300.