Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and you should too :)

Just a heads up.

CMP has barreled receivers for around 100.
I will post pics and a quality review when it comes in.

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
dammit man, just the direction I am heading in my collecting efforts. I don't think I will be buying vrates of them like I did the Mosins though. I was planning on sneaking up on you with mine in a couple of weeks but NNNOOOO! you just had to blow that out of the water didn't ya.

Seriously though, let's see it in pics through all of the stages of resto like your Sten you are building.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously though, let's see it in pics through all of the stages of resto like your Sten you are building.
Will do

I have been too busy picking up kits, and getting a new car ready for autocross... I haven't had the time/money to actually get any of the kits together. On top of that, Al over at semiautosten is mia (family health issue I believe), so I have been able to get the kit for the sten. I don't want to get it from someone else though. I know if the money is going to him, it is going to a better cause (better use).

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Parts kit came in last night (6 day - 4 business day turn around)

The kit looks great. The stock is a new repo that looks really nice. The parts have anywhere from 50-80% park let depending on if they were a wear part or not, and the barrel looks unfired. Seriously it is as shiny as one of my AR's. A couple of bits were on back order, but that's no biggie; I won't have the receiver until next week anyways. I think I am going to have them add one of the national match rear sights to the back order.

I am leaving for Sarasota for the weekend after work, but will post pics of the stock and parts kit clean up (they are in cosmo) next week.

Total was 399 plus 14.51 for shipping in case anyone is interested in picking one up.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Receiver came in yesterday. Hopefully I will see the back ordered parts soon. I have a guy that is going to barrel the receiver for me, and then I can start the build.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK
My gunsmith called today, and said the barrel is on the receiver and is ready for pick up.

There were a couple of parts still on backorder with Sarco, and that has me a bit heated, but Numrich had the parts, and I was getting a new stock for my Israeli mauser anyways. Numrich is in the same state, so with any luck I will have all the parts for this by the weekend, and can start a detailed "how to".

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the majority of the rifle together. I am just waiting on a couple of pieces, and realized I was missing a part from the rear sight... no biggie, I can get it from Numrich tomorrow.

I assembled the rifle following this:
http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/reassembly.html

There is no way I could write it better, so I won't try :)
Their pic at the top of the page with the pile of parts is exactly what I started with, and 2 hours later I had most of a rifle. If I had everything, I could have done it in 3 hours. If I had to do it again, I think I could have it done in less than 2.

I would say its a little tougher to build compared to an AR-15. If you have someone to barrel the action, and have built an AR, the you can build this.

Building it makes you appreciate, and understand how it works, and will make cleaning and repair a cinch.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are just a couple of quick pics. I was hoping to get last few parts I needed before the weekend, but it looks like they won't be here until next week.

The trigger assembly
The trigger/hammer spring is the biggest bunch of suck that ever sucked. I have to pull this all apart again to lube it up. I assembled it the first time to figure it out. I thought it would be better to do it dry rather than having the parts all slick. I guess I should have lubed it the first time.

The stock
The upper handguard sucks almost as bad as the spring I mentioned earlier.

The receiver, bolt, and op rod
This part should be easy once my op rod catch comes in

The front sight and gas tube
I lucked out on this one... This came assembled, and I just had to give it a couple of love taps to get it on.

Almost a gun
It is so close, but still completely useless.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Done like dinner

sorry about the flash on that one. the op rod is stamped with 7.62mm

Now it just needs to stop raining so I can get out and shoot it.

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
very nice, what did the final cost tally up to? No matter though cause it certainly looks like it was worth it and you have the satisfaction of building it yourself. Great job Zerodaze!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All together it came out to right around $600. About the same price as a service grade rifle, but with a new stock, and like new barrel.

Now I just need to come up with enough money to buy one of those 1903A4 repo's that AIM is selling (I think Centerfire has them as well). Do you have any idea who is distributing them? I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks if I buy one.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The weather cleared up yesterday afternoon, so I ran out to the range like a fat kid chasing an ice cream truck.

The gun shoots where I point it, but I need to be a little more consistent.

This is a SR1 target at 100 yards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts