33-cents a Gallon for Gas!!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by 1inthechamber, Dec 8, 2007.

1. 1inthechamber

1inthechamber Member

2. hmhmhmh........................I think i would have been right in line with everyone else exept i would have had every gas can i could find and every 55 gal drum also......................now now call me a arse but i b et you all would have done the same thing. Is it right no it isnt right but then again niether is running a stop sign or speeding cause you are late to work. show me a man who says he has always been honest and i will show you a liar :D :wink:

3. I may not have pulled up with an empty military water buffalo to fill up, but I honestly would have probably filled my tank, especially if things were tight with my budget like they usually are

4. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Well if you know it is a mistake and you fill up with THAT price it IS stealing. But folks now days will take what they can and just say it was the guys fault and they sit happy not realizing that they have just cost this guy a whole bunch of money........and maybe his livelyhood. Most folks hink that the station owner makes money on the gas well they do about 2 to 5 cents per gallon sold that is not a good deal of money to make. Most gas station now either have to be convenience type stores or service station were the money in repairs make the money.

5. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

Of course it is dishonest. You are taking advantage of an unfortunate situation for your own gain. The only question is whether you can somehow convince yourself that you are somehow justified in your dishonesty. It is like stealing an apple off of someone else's tree and justifying it by saying that it probably just going to fall off and rot anyway.

6. Oh its stealing, there is not any way to sugar coat that fact :oops:

7. jason865

jason865 Guest

While it is dishonest, it is not stealing. The price at the pumps was set by a representative of the store, and customers purchased the gas for the price that was set by the store employee. If it was stealing the police would have been arrresting people rather than calling the owner.

Would I have done it, I honestly dont know. Part of me says no because someone is going to eat the cost of that gas.

The other part says heck yea because while they may not make a killing on gas, most gas stations do drastically overcharge on alot of other items. They would'nt have any problem charging 50% more than the local grocery store for a gallon of milk because they know if you are having to buy stuff like that at a gas station, they can get away with charging more. If they are gonna take advantage of people when they have the opportunity, why not do the same.

8. 1inthechamber

1inthechamber Member

+1

I wouldn't be surprised if this store charges alot more now after this happened.

9. It costs $100 at $2.75 a gallon (36.5 gal tank) to fill up my '05 Ford F150 5.4 Triton with 4:10 gears....damn right I woulda been there too! :oops: :shock: :D

My dad passed away in August at the age of 94 and I now drive his car to work all week ('94 Cavalier 2 dr coupe...4cyl 5 spd) only drive the truck on weekends and long trips)

10. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

Did you take something without paying the amount you were supposed to? Then it IS stealing. I know something costs $30 and I knowingly give the cashier $20 instead of $30. Just because they didn't count the money before sticking it in the drawer doesn't mean I didn't steal it. It only means, they weren't careful about their procedures.

11. Here is another example, lets see how people respond to it.

You go to K Mart looking for shotgun shells. You see that what you want is marked 25 bucks, then notice that there is one box of the same thing that is marked 10 bucks, what do you do?

12. Take the $10 one...if thats what it is marked...thats what they get.

At Cabela's I was looking at Buck knives...they were marked $39.95...all the way in the back was one marked $29.95...guess which one I took...

13. I have to agree, if a gas station made a mistake and overcharged people all day by 3 cents, they are sure not going to post it in the paper and ask that everyone come and get the money that they were overcharged.

I think most everyone will take advantage of a situation, its just a matter of where they choose to stop.

The same person that would not go for the 33 cent gas would surely get their change back if they bought a soda out of a machine and heard their change drop back down into the return change slot, or if they put a dollar in at a carwash to get change, and the machine gave them their dollar back with the 4 quarters, how many people would tape a note to the machine telling the vendor to contact them?

True, two of my examples are a dollar or less, and the gasoline example is up to 50 bucks or so, but actually the dollar or less examples can be looked at more as stealing, because you know that you got your 4 quarters or soda for free, while the gas pump charged you what it was programed to charge.

The world is not black or white, there is always that gray area you have to consider

14. Robertgrren, you stole my avatar! Ohwell, I had been putting off using it forawhile. All yours. I woulda been in line to be honest.

15. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

Yes, it can be rationalized a thousand different ways. Something to think about. Just because someone else would steal from you, does that really make it right for you to steal; even from the person who would steal from you? Just because others might not do the right thing, does that give you cause not to do the right thing?

To use Waltham's example from above. If the gas station had programmed their pumps to overcharge you, would you feel like they stole from you?

16. Yes it can get confusing because although I may take advantage of the gas situation, I also would never even consider touching say a money clip full of money at a party or something like that.

I have my own sense of what is right and wrong and try to live by it. I am sure that everyone else does the same thing.

And yes, if the gas station overcharged one or two cents on purpose, I would feel cheated. If it were by accident I would blow it off.

17. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

Most times when I fuel up I Slide my card Pump the gas and drive off.

Often without checking to see the cost of fuel.

Thus If I hit this station I would have no idea I had got such a great bargain and then find myself being accused of stealing.

And how is one to really know the price the station has intended to sale.

One station in my home town charged 1 dollar per gallon in 1997. They did this to promote the new station. Gas was what usually 1.80 a gallon.

Some people may have thought it was nothing more than a promotion. Or early Christmas gift.

I would not accuse most of the folks of Stealing they most likely thought the station had charged this price on purpose.

18. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I would not accuse most of the folks of Stealing they most likely thought the station had charged this price on purpose.

WHAT :shock: Regular price is 3.39 and your gonna think they DELIBERETLY dropped the price to 33 cents per gallon They can't even buy the gas for that price. Remember folks this was after closing hours so it wasn't a promotional gimmick and anyone who pulls up and gasses up KNOWING the price was a mistake is a dirty rotten thief!!!

19. +1

20. Darn shooter, why dont you tell us how you really feel ;)