338 lapua or 50bmg

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by MaryB, Aug 5, 2015.

1. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Looking into getting a big rifle for my mini collection. Won't get to shoot it a lot around where I live so maybe 2-3 trips a year to a 1,000+ yard range. Semi auto would be nice to soak up recoil but that drives the price into ouch territory...

So... what would you go with? A 50bmg AR-15 upper? Savage 338 lapua bolt action? I think I can reload 50bmg cheaper because components are more readily available.

2. Fracman

Fracman Member

I would pick a 6.5 creedmoor or a 7mm STW and enjoy shooting it

3. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

For long range 1000+ yards I would go with the M256A1 or the 16"/50 Mark 7. Both have good long range accuracy but recoil might be an issue. Ammo is a bit on the expensive side also. Targets don't last very long and you will need a front end loader or 4 to fill in the holes.

Fracman has a very good idea with the 6.5 Creedmore. Looks to be very accurate and recoil will not be bad.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

5. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Mary, take a drive up to Ahlman's in Morristown on Aug. 22-23. They're having their shooter's round-up and you can test fire some 50s (not distance shooting, but at least you get to try them). I shot a bolt action .50 a couple years ago and it really wasn't that bad. They had some semi-autos there also. They also have almost any machine gun you can think of and a 25mm anti-tank gun you can fire too.

http://www.ahlmans.com/SR-Master Page.htm

6. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

I would definitely go with a 338 Lapua magnum such as the Savage 110BA .338 Lapua magnum . That rifle can easily reach out to 2700 yards plus and still hit the AR500 plate hard enough to sound off loudly

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    For your health issues, just to punch paper a few times a year...I'd suggest the 6.5 or even a .243. They are accurate, easy on the shooter, and not $3-$6 a shot.

If you intend to destroy enemy equipment and infrastructure at range while impressing the folks at the line, then the .338 would be the way to go.;)

8. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I am building a 6.5 grendel so have 1k paper punching covered... I want a rifle that has some destructive capability! Never know if it might be needed.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Then...the .50. Twice the energy!:D

10. USMC_VET

Here's so interesting info on .338 Lapua Magnum being shot from a Savage 110BA from a target 2707 yards away or 1.54 miles

Over 5 seconds of flight time

Energy from the impact on a AR500 plate is over 700ft lbs

Bullet drop 285 ft

11. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    How about a .50 Beowulf upper? Priced anywhere from around $700 and up?

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Mary,

If you already have a press for the 50, and want something that can do the most damage, go with the 50.

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  14. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

50 beowulf IS NOT a long range round! I want to put the hurt on at 1k+++ yards! I am thinking 338 lapua and the Savage, affordable, accurate, decent brake keeps recoil down to manageable with a shoulder pad...

It is not something you take to the range and run 200 rounds through. You take it out and make maybe 20 shots and put it away until next time! My Ar-15 is for range fun! Along with the type 53, SKS, 10/22, 91/30...

15. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    BEOWULF is a short range Azz-Kicker! Quite Short Range, in fact. But it packs a WALLOP!

17. USMC_VET

A .338 Lapua magnum with a muzzle brake feels like a .308 without a brake

18. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

That I can handle, been shooting the Type 53 (7.62x54r) and the recoil is similar to 308.

19. Fracman

Fracman Member