350 Legend AR Upper

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by OldOutlaw, Aug 31, 2019.

1. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Well, after looking at the 300 BLK and this 350, I definitely went with the 350 Legend.
    Greg_R got me interested in them. Really excited about this AR-15 Upper.

I need some thing better than a darned shot gun with slugs here in Iowa. Since this caliber IS IOWA DNR approved, no matter what has been on the Internet, I ordered one today. Will sight in basic with the 145gr ammo and then the 180gr I will use to hunt deer again. Tired of not being able to shoot a trophy buck at 150 to 250 yards with my shot guns. This 350 qualifies here as a straight wall cartridge. I have even an email now from DNR stating it is. Caught it on sale!

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bc...arbine-length-gas-system-1-16-twist-w-15-mlok

Pretty good at only $249 plus shipping to the house. Got a nice deer gun in an AR-15 now!

Rerun, undeRGRound, SDProf and 2 others like this.
  2. I think the .350 Legend cartridge is going to be a fad. Likely it won't be around long and if it is the round will cost a lot of money.

It is a rifle cartridge that has some power. You will likely be able to drop a deer easily to beyond 130 yards using it.

I prefer rifle rounds that are 6.5 millimeter to 7.62 millimeter. I did not buy into .300 AAC Blackout until I knew the round was very popular and around to stay.

3. OldOutlaw

Looks as you know little about the 350. Deer to 250 yards pretty nicely. More powerful it seems than a 300Blk. Larger bullets coming for suppressed. Do not be a bit surprised if it starts replacing the 300 Blk in a few years.

Remember the States in the US that do not allow the 300 Blk or any bottleneck cartridge for deer hunting in certain areas or statewide. Oh, and ammo is cheaper than your 300 Blk.

Hornady and Federal already jumped into the ammo market on this one. So more than various Winchester selections are here now.

Ruger is also into this one with the Ranch rifles and AR. Plus others already. This cartridge gives an AR-15 owner another option.

undeRGRound likes this.
  4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I don’t see it lasting. It’s the cost.

They went the wrong way with the caliber in most chambers, using the pistol bullet dimensions rather than rifle bullets, and early guns were reamed at the minimum, .355. So you end up buying expensive proprietary bullets, or looking for the few bullets that will fit, but can also handle the terminal velocity and penetrate and expand without blowing up.

Of course, since there is wiggle room in the SAAMI specs, you may get a gun that can be loaded using real rifle bullets, so you’ll be able to reload some good stuff. BCA says they used .357; IIRC.

Let us know.:thumbsup:

greg_r likes this.
  5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

My fear is the 350 Legend will be a fad. Winchester could have done a better job designing it. It has a few flaws I see. But on the other side it has a lot going for it as well. Affordable being chief among them.

I have a barrel, I think I will swap barrels with one of my 223’s. I do want to stock up on brass as well....just in case. But I think it has a better than even chance of catching on, at least in the straight wall case states. From what I can glean, it is fairly soft in the recoil department. It is accurate. And capable to 200 yards and beyond. I do not think it will root out the 450 BM, but I figure it will but a dent in 450B sales.

OldOutlaw and ajole like this.
  6. OldOutlaw

Thing here is this. Many states allow no center fire rifles to be used for deer in certain areas. Here, it is state wide dis-allowed. BUT, we can use straight wall cartridges of certain sizes. The number of hunters only allowed shotguns with slugs is pretty wide spread. However, the states are allowing a number of straight wall cartridges to be used now. This is where the market for 350 is at.
    In more densely populated areas of farms, the safety factor is too great to allow long range high power rifles. Too many homes and buildings have already been hit by the coyote hunters as it is.

ajole, think of it this way. If you had homes every 400 to 800 yards away all over your area, would you want high power rifles allowed? I doubt it.

7000al likes this.
  7. greg_r

This is one of the biggest shortcomings in my eyes. They should of designed it to take the .358 rifle bullets. I have heard and seen where some .358 bullets are being used. I am just not comfortable enough to stage one down in a 9mm bore. Real 35 caliber rifle bullets for hunting start at 180 grains too. A look at the dismal performance of the 150 grain 35 Remington is proof enough of that.

Another problem will be the proprietary case. Should have used the 223 as the parent case.

I don’t think cost will be that much of an issue, if an issue at all. My one box of 350 Legend cartridges set me back $9.00. Less than .50 cents per round. Sure, they are range ammo, not hunting fodder, but I don’t see hunting fodder costing much more. Maybe in the 30-30 price range.

lklawson and OldOutlaw like this.
  8. OldOutlaw

The 180 grain Federal and Winchester is available for $16.95 per 20 rounds.
    Cheaper yet in the 200 rd cases.

undeRGRound and lklawson like this.
  9. greg_r

Not really any wiggle room. SAAMI has the bore specs equal to 9mm/357. Should have the same borevspecs as other 35 caliber rifles.

lklawson and OldOutlaw like this.
  10. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    congrats on your new rifle! but as far as shotguns go, my brother nailed a buck at 160 yards last year with his 12g:) he held about 6 inches high;)

11. greg_r

H
    How many times did he shoot? :stir:

Rerun and moona11 like this.
  12. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    haha 1 shot ;)

7000al likes this.
  13. OldOutlaw

You boys have been improving a lot on your deer since last season. :stir:
    My son got one at 276 yards last year with his 12 gage. :lurk:

moona11, ajole and Bertus like this.
  14. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    nope, no improvement, same as it ever was;)

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Ok...tolerances...but there’s room in the tolerances for variation in bullets.

What I read....a limited bit of reading, I’ll admit, was that the SAAMI chamber specs were .355-.358

Here’s the actual SAAMI drawings. I can’t read them, I don’t know how they show tolerances, so what I see is .357 +.002 or minus .05, if they use parenthesis for negatives?
    But I’m not at all sure that’s how it’s read, as that makes no sense at all

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/350-Legend-CC-Drawing-Website.pdf

You’re arguing the wrong thing with me. I get why it’s a good idea.

I just think this round is screwed up. Like Greg also said, they should have used .35 cal rifle slugs, not 9 mm pistol slugs.
    Not to mention...450 BM is already there, and it simply isn’t a heavy recoil. I guess if you NEED less oomph, the 35 could deliver. But they used the wrong end of the 35 caliber spectrum for some unknown reason. Yes....it will kill deer. As will the mighty .224...I mean .223. But it could have been better, with no extra effort or cost involved.

It looks like they did it this way simply to keep it their own thing, and be “different”.

16. .300 AAC Blackout allows for just a barrel switch using the same AR-15 thirty round 5.56 x 45 magazines to fire a .30 caliber round from an AR-15. There are many different reasons people use the .300 Blackout round as there are rifle rounds that go from about 92 grain bullets all the way up to 220 grain bullets. I use it for target shooting and as a possible self defense rifle and I stick with 110 to 125 grain rounds.

.350 Legend has is a niche hunting round. I highly doubt anyone would pick it for as a primary self defense round when there are so many other better rifle round options. (I am not saying it is an ineffective self defense round.) .300 AAC Blackout is here to stay for quite some time and .350 Legend is very likely to unseat it as a very popular AR-15 rifle round.

May fortune smile upon you in your hunting and may you take game.

17. OldOutlaw

The 350 will soon have 258gr sub sonic loads also. 350 is highly recommended in articles for SD.

I can't go wrong for $249 and CMMG mags for $17.95.

undeRGRound likes this.
  18. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    300 Blackout and 350 Legend are both about the same in my eyes, I don't see the point.

19. OldOutlaw

Easy to make. If ya can't use a bottle neck center fire rifle for deer in the state.
    Here ya go. A legal straight wall cartridge which IS legal.

I did state that in article #3. Did you not read again Bertus?? o_O

lklawson, ajole and Bertus like this.
  20. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    This 8 pointer was shot a few miles south of you in Clark county Missouri
    and yes it was a 1 shot kill;)
    IMG_0486.jpg